General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIN# Sticker On Frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:17 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: VIN# Sticker On Frame

Another stupid excuse to harrass someone if they're hangin' out lookin' for a peel-off sticker. Mine is so screwed up it is illegible. I think the braided brake line more-or-less ground it up. It was like that when I got the bike. Guess I'll have to sit at home now 'cause it might be a "hot" bike.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:43 AM
SUPER01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if someone wants to paint their frame they should tape off the stickers to remain legal? [sm=huh.gif]

Old 04-02-2007, 12:54 AM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dang it anyhow and I already ripped the tags off my mattress too............

Old 04-02-2007, 02:52 AM
docsg
Tourer

ORIGINAL: FXSTI Guy

Thought about removing that sticker myself...along with the "not a gas cap" decal on the fuel guage.
Removed them both immediately after delivery. Dealer never said a word about the sticker being gone and even did a little warranty work (like changing out the engine at 2500 miles). In Alabama we are required to carry a copy of the license plate registration and the insurance certificate. Both have the VIN on them and can easily be matched to the stamped letters/numbers on the frame. My sticker was scratched during the dealer setup so I took it off immediately. One thing I thought was "neat" was that the new engine had the same serial number as the defective engine. The dealer said they did that to keep the owner from having problems later on down the road (pardon the pun).

Old 04-02-2007, 10:04 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I called DOT about having to paint the frame and they told me to use a heat gun and remove it.Sticking it back on was my problem

Old 04-02-2007, 10:12 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Hasn't bothered me so far....maybe later use heat gun, take it off, laminate it, and keep it under the seat.

Joe

Old 04-02-2007, 03:02 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj
Another stupid excuse to harrass someone if they're hangin' out lookin' for a peel-off sticker.

Having spent some time in Auto theft I can tell you that the law was born out of necessity. There were a lot of new bikes stolen in the late 70's and through the 80's. My undercover ride working dope was an 82 Tour Glide with less than 1000 miles on it that was a recovered stolen with an altered VIN.

The law I am referring to specifically addresses the Federal sticker, not the vin on the frame, or motor, or registration. Twist it any way you want, and ignore the advice if you chose
, but if you get stopped by a traffic hotdog who works stolen vehicles, you may be watching your scoot disappear into the sunset on the back of a hook, and retaining an attorney to get it released...FWIW

Old 04-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I doubt it...

I have a reg. and proof of insurance to match the VIN stamped on the side. the address on both match the address on my DL.

Mine is gone. looks better without. i think it must have fallin' off at the carwash

Old 04-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last bike it came right off. As long as you don't sand the vin off, it will be fine.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:46 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

My ride is an '82 Tour Glide, oddly enuf... and the sticker has been gone for eons. Maybe it is your old one

Quick Reply: VIN# Sticker On Frame