Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about high temp silicone for leaking slip-on

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:28 PM
cornholio
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ? about high temp silicone for leaking slip-on

I install a set of Wild Pig slip-ons and cant stop the leaking. I re-used the original muffler clamps.I read a few posts about using Permatex copper high temp silicone to stop the leak. I took the slip-on off and smoothed out the burrs on the inside of the muffler inlet and widened the slots. I also purchased new HD clamps this go around. Should I try it again without the silicone? If I use the silicone how hard is it to take the off in the future. I hate to try it without the silicone, only to find out it still leaks, and I have to buy the 1 time use clamps again. thanks

Old 03-31-2007, 09:31 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: ? about high temp silicone for leaking slip-on

Cut some rectangular shims out of a beer can and put them between the clamp and the muffler flange. They will seal the slits in the flange.

I've been doing this on my Ironhead for years.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 PM
Snobal
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the service manual says to use new muffler clamps each time, but it also says to use new gaskets and O-rings each time.

I tried several sets of mufflers on my '06 Ultra before going back to the stock ones (I like quiet) and am still on the origional set of muffler clamps. The design that HD is currently using seems to last forever.

Just like the muffler clamps, the origional O-rings on my oil and transmission drain plugs are still in perfect condition, and I'm still using the origional gasket on my clutch inspection cover. I have spare O-rings and gaskets, but only put them in when it starts seeping. I have replaced the O-ring on my transmission dip stick - one time.

I used the copper high-temp sealant on my '00 FLHT mufflers --- it worked just fine --- and it was no problem to remove them with or without the sealant.

By the way, the service manualsuggests thatyou to spray "PB Blaster" on the muffler to help loosen it. That stuff works GREAT to get mufflers off. Many auto parts stores sell PB Blaster - and a can seems to be almost a lifetime supply.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:34 AM
lschultz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not tryed the copper high temp sealant yet. For now I just wrap the some silver muffler tape around the muffler and exhaust pipe and no leaks. You don't notice it with the heat sheilds on and its not that hard to clean off if you have to take the muffler off.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:28 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The silicone works great,mufflers still come off easily when you want them to. Just let it cure 30 mins before you run the bike

Old 04-01-2007, 02:59 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go ahead and use a thin film of sillycon . And i would nt waste my money on buy ing a new clamp. Ive used mine over a coulple of times with no problem.

tighten the heck out of the clamp. 60ftlbs. The pipes will be no harder to get of than with or with out the sealant. [8D]