General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friggin Crotch-Rockets

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:34 PM
skater69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Friggin Crotch-Rockets

ORIGINAL: edilgdaor

The difference is the intent of the bike. A sport bike is made to haul ***. This they do very well. A cruiser is made to cruise. This is something a Harley-Davidson does very well.

I get on my Harley-Davidson and I am quite content to cruise at the speed limit. I can't do that on a sport bike.

Basically, anytime someone gets on a bike that won't go slow like a sport bike, they're in contempt of the law. Why WOULD you ride one if you're just going to go the speed limit ?
As far as going the speed limit, I'm not part of the 2% of drivers that do.....thank God. I've tried going 35 in a 35......and felt like I should just pull into a nursing home. So I'm in contempt of the law at all times sportbike or not. Speedlimits are set ridiculously low for a reason.......togenerate revenue.

The speed limit is 65 or 70 in most places where I live with most cars going averaging at least that. I average 85-95 on my sportbike....just enough to outpace other drivers. It's the burst to well into the triple digits where you have to exercise control since the powerband doesn't seem to end......and I admit I'm guilty of not having control all the time to resist it. Then again a big chunk of the cruiser riders I see, wear t-shirts, jeans, and beanie helmets as opposed to my full gear, full faced helmet at all times.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:36 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: tireater

Heading up to the mountains -I could see 3 rice rockets approaching at high speed (i'm doing 70) and the split up and pass me on both sides - at over 100 - one riders plastic touched my fairing. Bout crapped myself - later at the bar - the guy's bike fell over - go figure ...my size 12 helped....

I guess everyones rides ending at a Bar explains
the pass and the size 12, both not to smart! [:'(][:@]

Nuff Said"

Old 04-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad thing isthis is probably the same thing the old farts used to say about me 30 years ago when the speed limit was 55 and my bad *** Honda 350 with straight pipes flew past them at 80, no helmet, no shirt, shorts, sneaks and a big grin.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Bluerose

I have no problems with sports bikes unless they arebeing unsafe...That is to say if they are a danger to those on the roads around them.

I have seen some that are actually fairly safe on the road in general...I have a guy that slips in with me on the ride home from work often.

Now the other guys/galsdeserve to have thier butts kicked.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:15 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Trailfndr

Yes, I will go the speed limit. I know how to ride the slow lane on the freeway, and I don't mind it a bit. If traffic is going that fast, I prefer to get off that road and onto something a bit safer. Speed kills, and YES I follow the limit on my Bike, OR in my truck.

My Hog Chapter has 2 simple policies...on group rides, we ride the speed limit. and NO Alcohol within 6 hours of our start time, and all during the days ride. We are ambassadors of Harley Davidson, and we prefer to give a better impression and try to change the Misconceptions of those that simply don't understand what we do, or why we do it.
i believe it. i have passed long lines of hog rides puttering along at 5 or 10 mph below the speedlimit, backing up traffic behind them. [:'(]

not my thing, guess you cant ride with me either. for one, i ride with lots of different bikes, not an owner group. also, while i dont ride drunk, i dont really need a riding group specifying my habits (six hours? hahaha... thanks anyway!), and as for not breaking the speedlimit, well, cant help it. sorry. as for being someones ambassador, you can keep that too.

im off for a ride, not a corporate sponsored parade.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:07 PM
skater69
Cruiser

My Hog Chapter has 2 simple policies...on group rides, we ride the speed limit.
One of the best thing about the cruiser group I ride with is that we go at a good pace and it's not a parade of holding up traffic.
Can't think of more compellingreason to ridesolo in this case.Yuck.Sounds like the Ambassadors of Boredom.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:50 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i got a crotch rocket, right here! actually, its a v-twin crotch rocket. torque and hp!

Old 04-03-2007, 06:01 PM
tireater
Banned

I know violence is not the answer - I GOT IT WRONG PURPOSE !!!
When someone decides to risk my life and not talk to me first -IT WOULD CAUSE ME STRESS NOT TO PAY THEM BACK - STRESS KILLS TOO - NOT JUST ME...!