General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friggin Crotch-Rockets

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 07:24 AM
tireater
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Friggin Crotch-Rockets

Riding fast by yourself on a twisty road is one thing (no cars) - acting like a road filled with cars is your own racetrack - that's different.There is a thing I call motorcycle therapy - get on a twisty road and gas it. If you can think of anythingexcept "will I make the next turn" give it more gas. An hour or so of this and you simply can't remember your problems. If you try this on a Harley - you will crash. Riding fast isn't evil - acting like a jerk is...

Old 04-01-2007, 07:40 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

It makes me laugh because I have gone by them the same way.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:47 AM
tireater
Banned

Riding by yourself fast in the twisties in the middle of no where is not the same as acting like a crowded road is your own race track.....

Old 04-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Bad Mojo
Tourer

ORIGINAL: dog155

It makes me laugh because I have gone by them the same way.
You pass crotch rockets that are already travelling at 80mph by weaving in and out of traffic on a busy highway?

That's not for me, but good luck with that!

PS: 155"??? Dayum!!! I bet that's gonna be a fun monster!

Old 04-01-2007, 10:55 AM
msh134
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as aformer crotch rocket rider. i want to say i am sorry for all the stupid things i did in my mispent youth. i have seen the light and i will never ride anything but a my harley.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:20 PM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: zombie

Triple, we all have our opinions and keep in mind, the reason I addressed your original post was for your generalization of Harley riders and the condescending nature of your original post. Considering everyone here is a Harley rider, it’s safe to assume that by all indications you were referring to the membership as “Most of us ride all day…and we ride right out to the bar have a few , then go to another bar. ( I know none of us do that! )” suggesting that we’re just as unsafe and have no room to criticize the sport bike riders for questionable behavior on the roads. This for all intent and purpose was a slam on the membership here at HDF.

I also never stated that most of our membership were not rookies or weekend warriors, what I specifically stated is that most of our membership take riding very seriously and pursued avenues to increase their riding skills; I pointed this out to contradict your assumption that we ride from bar to bar and are inherently as unsafe as the sport bike riders that are being complained about in this post.

You didn’t offend me Triple, but your original post suggested that Harley riders (which the members are) are just as inherently as unsafe (barhopping) as those sport bike riders passing in no passing areas, touching other bikes as they pass and other similar activities and I will always defend the members of this forum, bar none.

I also asked if you defended the Harley riders (crowd) as vehemently as you do the sport bike crowd, not if you defended your V-Rod and Street Glide to the sport bike crowd, as you stated previously that the sport bike crowd was just as against Harley riders as Harley riders were against street bikes.

As for being so strong against me as a mod; that’s no problem. When I participate in a thread, unless I’m specifically addressing a forum infraction, I’m just a regular member.
Sweet. I will make sure I don't generalize the forum again. I sat and read the posts again last night . your right you never generalized me. I got to stop surfing with a buzz on !

I do defend the harley crowd not just my riding prefrences. I even use that if you have to ask you wouldn't understand line !

Old 04-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: Trailfndr

Think what you will...but I have absolutly no reason to fly down the highway. Riding is about the ride, not about how fast I get there. I much prefer to take my time, and enjoy the ride, without the stress of watching for LEO'sto avoid a ticket.I ride with a large group from our HOG chapter, and we all feel the same way. Lets enjoy the ride...
So if you are going 65mph (the posted speed limit) and all the traffic around you is going 75-80mph, do you think you are safer by obeying the law as you are so strongly supporting? Also, since the 65mph (or whatever the speed limit is) is under optimal conditions, do you slow down accordingly (along with your entire HOG chapter)? Do you do the same thing in a cage? Each and every time?

Going the speed limit in this day and age is typically a hinderance, and on a bike is more likely to get you rear-ended. (Solo riding in particular)

I had a weird incident on Friday. Did the 101 loop, about 150 miles (took some detours). I was on the I-10 heading back towards Tempe when the traffic started to get bad (even in the HOV lane). There were 4 sportbikes in front of me, I wasn't getting too close to them (trying to join their pack, whatever), but we were being respectful of each other. I was on the right side of the HOV lane, when some chick on a sportbike comes up on my left, passes me, and then pulls right in front of me! Helmet on, but she was wearing scrubs (some kindof medical profession I guess). Then the proceeds to pass the 4 sportbikes and alot of cars in front of her, by essentially lane splitting (there's two solid white lines about 3 feet apart separating the HOV from regular lanes).

Old 04-01-2007, 05:47 PM
CroftonDamico
Cruiser

1st off I am not a LEO, thereforethis is only my personal opinion: there is no friggin way a LEO will pursue a friggin WACKO traveling at over 100mph, too many other people in harms way.

Radio ‘downrange’ is theonly course of action (COA).

Old 04-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I will go the speed limit. I know how to ride the slow lane on the freeway, and I don't mind it a bit. If traffic is going that fast, I prefer to get off that road and onto something a bit safer. Speed kills, and YES I follow the limit on my Bike, OR in my truck.

My Hog Chapter has2 simple policies...on group rides, we ride the speed limit. and NOAlcohol within 6 hours of our start time, and all during the days ride. We are ambassadors of Harley Davidson, and we prefer to give a better impression and try to change theMisconceptions of those that simply don't understand what we do, or why we do it.

I have been driving for 0ver 30 years, and in all that time, the only moving violation I ever had was when I was 18 and Stupid. No accidents, no moving violations, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I laugh at those that fly by me on a two lane, only to be waiting at the light when I arrive there. Who much time did they save?? NONE!

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

Think what you will...but I have absolutly no reason to fly down the highway. Riding is about the ride, not about how fast I get there. I much prefer to take my time, and enjoy the ride, without the stress of watching for LEO'sto avoid a ticket.I ride with a large group from our HOG chapter, and we all feel the same way. Lets enjoy the ride...
So if you are going 65mph (the posted speed limit) and all the traffic around you is going 75-80mph, do you think you are safer by obeying the law as you are so strongly supporting? Also, since the 65mph (or whatever the speed limit is) is under optimal conditions, do you slow down accordingly (along with your entire HOG chapter)? Do you do the same thing in a cage? Each and every time?

Going the speed limit in this day and age is typically a hinderance, and on a bike is more likely to get you rear-ended. (Solo riding in particular)

I had a weird incident on Friday. Did the 101 loop, about 150 miles (took some detours). I was on the I-10 heading back towards Tempe when the traffic started to get bad (even in the HOV lane). There were 4 sportbikes in front of me, I wasn't getting too close to them (trying to join their pack, whatever), but we were being respectful of each other. I was on the right side of the HOV lane, when some chick on a sportbike comes up on my left, passes me, and then pulls right in front of me! Helmet on, but she was wearing scrubs (some kindof medical profession I guess). Then the proceeds to pass the 4 sportbikes and alot of cars in front of her, by essentially lane splitting (there's two solid white lines about 3 feet apart separating the HOV from regular lanes).

Old 04-01-2007, 08:24 PM
atomic
Road Warrior

Yes, I will go the speed limit. I know how to ride the slow lane on the freeway, and I don't mind it a bit. If traffic is going that fast, I prefer to get off that road and onto something a bit safer. Speed kills, and YES I follow the limit on my Bike, OR in my truck.

I laugh at those that fly by me on a two lane, only to be waiting at the light when I arrive there. Who much time did they save?? NONE!

So you drive slowly in a pick-up truck and in on your Harley. You have two underperfoming motor vehicles and because of that, people with high performance vehicles should drive slow as mollases? I have over 5000 mile on my Deluxe and I have never had it over 80 mph. It isn't fun even at 80. It vibrates and the wind resistance makes it difficult to control.

Speed doesn't kill. It is idiot drivers who kill. In Germany you can drive as fast as you want on the highway and people aren't all dead over there.

Quick Reply: Friggin Crotch-Rockets