Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on Floorboard/Forwards swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Jameson
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help on Floorboard/Forwards swap

I went on my first 100 mile trip yesterday and I loved it.. The apes were wonderful, the exhaust sounded great, just one problem. Im 6'3" and those boards gotta go! My legs were all stiff when I got off the bike.I want to swap them for some Forward Controls. I know they arent great for long distances but the longest Ill be riding is about 80-100 miles rarely! So I really dont need any comments on how the boards are awesome, get highway bars etc. I really want forwards. LOL.
I sat on a Softail with 3" forwards and they were pretty good, but then i sat on one with 4" Extension on the Forwards and it was perfect. I found a company that sells a 4" Extension with the plates, shift rod, etc (like the arlen ness kit). My question is what other parts will I need to change the floorboard/heel-toe shifter to a Forward Control set up? Where is a good place to find these parts..etc. Thanks everyone!

Old 03-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Denbo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help on Floorboard/Forwards swap

I swaped out the ones on my Fat-Boy and love the way it drives,the hardest thing I encountered was the trial and error for the kick stand relocation.I used the kickstand mount from a 1986 softtail and then I brought the wedge that changes the angle of the kickstand.I also had custom made mounting studs because the earlier bike the mounting brackets were a smaller sized holes than my 04.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Jameson
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the top please.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Denbo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My shifter linkage I had to extend about an 1-1/2 so what I used was a length of stainless steel rod the same dia.as the original and just threaded the ends to fit the original ends.The mounts on my frame for the kickstands were I believe 3/8's coarse threadso I took 3/8's coarsestainless threaded rod and had one end machined to 5/16's fine thread if memory serves me correct they were about 2-1/2"long but you might want to do one stud about 1/2"longer which will go on the lower left side frame mount.The kickstand mounting bracket came from a 1986/1999 softtail and fit the frame perfectly I also had to use the wedge which changes the angle of the kickstand because I did not like the way the bike stood when the kickstand was extended(stood up to straight).You will also need the spring holder from the same year bike the original mount will destroy the spring once you use it.