General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust/AC question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:49 AM
Jprez
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust/AC question(s)

Hey folks,

I am about to finally be home and finally back with my brand new FLS. I have a simple question (i think). I want to know if i HAVE to do certain modifications in order to have certain upgrades. example: I want to upgrade my AC and exhaust. Should I not do one without the other? does it matter? can I do one now and the other later? Do i need some fuel mapping to make everything run right? I know I probably could've googled this but I appreciate your feedback.

Just want to get started on my upgrades and having been on vacation for quite a while I currently can't afford to do too much at once. Although I might anyhow. Don't tell my lady.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2014, 10:18 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You change the AC or exhaust independently. Although it may be possible that the combination you choose will still work with the ECM stock tune (albeit less than it should), there is also a possibility that it will run too lean as a result, with the potential for causing damage. Either way, in order to get any real benefit out of the upgrades, you'll want to retune the bike.

Don't waste your time on xieds (which won't work properly if the upgrades push the ECM out of its "comfort zone" anyway) or piggy back tuners. To properly tune the bike, you'll want to get a flash tuner. If you are nerdy, and like to fiddle with these things, then the TTS MasterTune is the best choice, otherwise the DynoJet PowerVision (NOT power commander!) - it doesn't have quite as many options but is more friendly and will more than likely cope with all the mods you're likely to do. Finally, there's Harley's SEPST, which is now looking a little ancient compared to the other two, but still fully capable.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:23 AM
Jprez
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peg20
You change the AC or exhaust independently. Although it may be possible that the combination you choose will still work with the ECM stock tune (albeit less than it should), there is also a possibility that it will run too lean as a result, with the potential for causing damage. Either way, in order to get any real benefit out of the upgrades, you'll want to retune the bike.

Don't waste your time on xieds (which won't work properly if the upgrades push the ECM out of its "comfort zone" anyway) or piggy back tuners. To properly tune the bike, you'll want to get a flash tuner. If you are nerdy, and like to fiddle with these things, then the TTS MasterTune is the best choice, otherwise the DynoJet PowerVision (NOT power commander!) - it doesn't have quite as many options but is more friendly and will more than likely cope with all the mods you're likely to do. Finally, there's Harley's SEPST, which is now looking a little ancient compared to the other two, but still fully capable.
Thank you very much. This is precisely the sort of info I was looking for. Cheers.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:51 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't agree with peg on the use of Xieds and piggy back tuners. And there are many, many here who will also disagree with him. And that's because they've used these products and were happy with them.

Xieds and Vieds are a viable option, as is a decent piggy back tuner.

As a matter of fact, this is the most simple and inexpensive way to complete your Stage 1.

If later, you want to spend big bucks on more pricey tuners, Xieds and Vieds will give you idea what you're tuning for in the first place.

Slip ons are a nice option for your exhaust. I think they are best with some baffling for a bit of backpressure. Otherwise your bike will lose a tad of performance. And just about any decent hi flo air cleaner will do the trick.

It really doesn't matter what order you do things in. In fact, on my FLS, I added the slip ons first. Then the hi flo air cleaner, and finally vieds. (I've since upgraded from the Vieds to a Vance and Hines FuelPak, which works great.

I think the operative thing here is that some people will tell you there's only one way to do it, when in fact, it's just the way they did it.

Do a search for "Stage 1" on this site, and you'll see the opinions are endless as are the options. Just keep it simple and you'll be fine.

And no, your Slim won't get damaged if you run slip ons alone for a while without doing the other stuff.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:53 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by Jprez
Hey folks,

I am about to finally be home and finally back with my brand new FLS. I have a simple question (i think). I want to know if i HAVE to do certain modifications in order to have certain upgrades. example: I want to upgrade my AC and exhaust. Should I not do one without the other? does it matter? can I do one now and the other later? Do i need some fuel mapping to make everything run right? I know I probably could've googled this but I appreciate your feedback.

Just want to get started on my upgrades and having been on vacation for quite a while I currently can't afford to do too much at once. Although I might anyhow. Don't tell my lady.

Thanks
There is an objective overview to your options in the following thread- The first post...after that you start getting a lot of opinion.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

You don't HAVE TO do any tuning upgrades if changing just the Air Cleaner or just the exhaust. It will run better if you do, but if you don't it won't blow up or melt.

You don't say what year you have, but if it's a 2014, they are even leaner from the factory than the 13's.

But if you do both, that will push it past what the ECM can adjust for, and the likelihood is high that you would be doing damage without some sort of tuner or XiED product.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:12 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I had my AC about 7-10 day before I had my pipes. Lack of money at the time. I was told I could it that way but not pipes, the an AC later on. It so much simpler in the old days.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Jprez
Intermediate

SoCalSoftailSlim Thank you for the info. I appreciate it (I really dig your bike as well).

DK Customs Thank you as well. I am gonna check out the link in a sec. (my slim is 2014 btw)

Thank you Chickin as well. All this info is what I was looking for.

I am definitely leaning towards doing all three at the same time.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:33 PM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did both....Screamin Eagle pipes and SE Ventilator A/C, with HD download. Put on a set of XIED's and all is well. Dealer said bike is fine and even better, I like the way it runs and rides. At the end of the day, that's what matters, right?

Old 05-18-2014, 09:44 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive been running xied's on my stage 1 for four years and the bike runs better than it ever did stock.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:01 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

No sweat, JPRez. Enjoy your bike!