General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud a$$ pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Loud a$$ pipes

Yeah, Loud pipes saves lives unless you get shot by a pissed off people in the hood at 5am.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Rott3n
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you say that. Two weekends ago my buddy was riding threw a "hoodie" type of area at 11:00pm on his nighttrain cracking the pipes when a guy stepped out and punched him right in the face, braking his glasses. Being smart he road off because there were 6 of them standing there.

Old 09-10-2005, 09:33 AM
05FXD
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Rott3n

Funny you say that. Two weekends ago my buddy was riding threw a "hoodie" type of area at 11:00pm on his nighttrain cracking the pipes when a guy stepped out and punched him right in the face, braking his glasses. Being smart he road off because there were 6 of them standing there.
I think I would of went back with a baseball bat and cleaned house

Old 09-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Rott3n
Advanced

or his plow truck

Old 09-10-2005, 01:27 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

05FXD,
You got it! If loud pipes save lives you would have to believe that Goldwing riders are dropping like flies. They aren't! Fact is, the most important thing is visibility and, thankfully, Harley is finally starting to "brighten" up their bikes with new and better lights. According to a cop buddy, most fatalities in my county are drinking related. Loud pipes won't get that tree to move.

Old 09-10-2005, 03:18 PM
PWHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Screaming Eagle Baloney cut shorties on my 05 Heritage for the true Harley sound (I Thought) but I am having second thoughts over the loud pipes save lives as most drivers over here panic when they hear you comming up from behind and do all sorts of crazy things from braking hard to swerving all over the place. Also the noise does tend to wear you down a bit on a long run and I am considering putting the stock pipes back on.

Will the stock pipes be ok with Stage 1 Tunning on the EFI 05 Heritage[sm=signs006.gif][sm=signs007.gif]

PWHOG (UK)

Old 09-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had a set of H-D Touring slip-ons on my RG, very quiet an silent with a nice power boost. I missed the rumble. So I saw an add for V&H Basic slip-ons that said that they were not to loud but just the right sound. So I tried them. Very nice deep, melow sound not as loud or as harsh as my Dyna with SE II's was. Now I have sound and don't much worry about waking the neighbors at 6am any more. I you want LOUD don't get them, but if you want a nice mellow sound and more power these are the way to go.

Old 09-10-2005, 10:23 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Speaking of loud pipes, does anyone know how loud the stock exhausts would be on my XL1200C if I had the baffles removed? Im looking for a little louder than stock but not deafening or annoying to the people around. The dealer told me they would be much throatier and deeper but not extremely loud. He said SEII's would be louder. Is this true? I really love the look of the stock tapered exhausts and don't wanna give that up. Anybody have any ideas?

Old 09-10-2005, 11:50 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

I have Pythons on both of our bikes. Don't care about saving lives, setting off alarms, or pissing off citizens. I just like the way they roar when we hit it. Harleys aren't supposed to be quiet, Hondas and Yamahas are.

Old 09-11-2005, 05:33 PM
05FXD
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: WarriorHD

Speaking of loud pipes, does anyone know how loud the stock exhausts would be on my XL1200C if I had the baffles removed? Im looking for a little louder than stock but not deafening or annoying to the people around. The dealer told me they would be much throatier and deeper but not extremely loud. He said SEII's would be louder. Is this true? I really love the look of the stock tapered exhausts and don't wanna give that up. Anybody have any ideas?
I've heard of some guys kust drilling out the plate inside the baffle with a hole saw. I had an 04 883 that I removed the whole entire baffle assembly using a dremel with a cut off wheel,it made it a lot louder but didn't sound great. Kind of sounded cheap ,loud but no deep rumble . You could just try to drill out the plate using different drill sizes till you get the sound you're looking for, or just get the SEII's slip ons. Many people who drill out the plate or remove the baffles wind up buying a set of slip-ons or a new system.