General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi, I'm still new, and bought a 06 FLHRI RoadKing. Had questions/ Up-dated.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hi, I'm still new, and bought a 06 FLHRI RoadKing. Had questions/ Up-dated.

Ok, I'm new - have put $100.oo down on a 2006 FLHRI Road King FI 2tone. My questions are:
1) Whats the purpose of having a bunch of purchased warrenty, one only good at the dealer and its affiliate store in the neighboring town for oil changes and tune ups and what ever ($1195), and the second some "4" additional years ($945)which I guess is end to end maintenance coverage period. Say a voltage regulater goes out, they fix it no problem. (I don't know what or if any deductable is?)
And if you get both they give you a break with a bundle package of ($1995) big savings of $145!

Don't get me wrong I wanted to deal more of this with the dealership, I went in found this FLHRI, called back to besure I could bring the misses to see what I was going to get, and then found them going to close before I could return. I was given what little info over the phone by the finance people. (trust me this is going some where) Well I told them to put all options onto the loan request, in that I can always scrape them later. As usual I want to ask even more questions. Mainly like whats wrong with the factory warrenty? Why do I really need all this other costly business??

2) Tire and wheel, kind of like road hazard, another big expense. Do I "NEED" to get this too. Yah, I know - I don't need anything. When I say do I need this, I'm more meaning, who else has this? What has this done for you? Have you used it? ($290)

3) Gap, thats self explanitory. I'm getting the Gap ($410) but not the Gap plus which tosses you an extra grand when you have totalled your bike ($440)!

So All total this group of options is a whopping total of $2725. Now I can see the $410 for Gap.

How many of you folks have purchased all this and are happy with it, its paying for itself and think that its well worth every red cent they are financing for it.

Now, to put things in perspective. I know how to use tools, have almost two of everything in the tool catagory. I can change my own oil, set plugs to a gap, adjust valve lifter lash, or change the tire if need be. Hopefully I won't get blown out of the water with all this.

The bottom line, I don't really think that I can justify all that extra cost into my new machine with out some feed back from folks that already have gone through this before!

Thank you all for reading my questions and may answer,
Gary

Old 09-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Wolf
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hi, I'm new, and looking to buy a 06 FLHRI RoadKing. Have questions!

I think you answered you own question. I don't buy things that I think really need an extended warranty. It says you are buying an unreliable item. Save your money.

Old 09-05-2005, 01:44 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Hi, I'm new, and looking to buy a 06 FLHRI RoadKing. Have questions!

I bought none of it, I figure if I need to, I'll spend the money I saved on tools. If that doesn't work, I'll ask a friend or this board. It's insurance...which in my mind is a gamble. If you're going to ride 200K miles in 3 years like Markcuda, I'd have it all, if you're going do a paultry 10K a year like me, screw it, I'll put the money into my daughter's college fund.

Mac

Old 09-05-2005, 02:25 AM
fordracing19
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went yesterday and looked at 06 dyna wide glides and got a quote. I was told the tire and wheel was 285 and was wondering if I should get it also. The 6 year extended service plan was like $1200 and would save me a point on intrest rate and i figured it to be $16 a payment xtra. What is normal set up fee's and other fee's besides the taxes? What is a good rate on a bike? they quoted 6.99 if I get the warrenty and 7.99 without and said I have a a+credit rating.

Old 09-05-2005, 08:56 AM
taurusjim
Cruiser

don't buy most of this stuff..... I have had one flat tire in 10 years.....brand new harley's have a nice 2 year warentee. that is all thats needed. and gag insurance is crap created by loan companies to make money....but its your call. just my 2 cents. jim

Old 09-05-2005, 09:45 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

First off, I think $2725 is a bit pricey for what you mention. If the cost is within your means, then go for it, if you feel it's a reach, then I wouldn't get all the extra things. Just remember one thing, when you buy an extended warrantee, in your case the six year one, you are actually getting only four years of extension. That six years overlaps the two year factory warrantee so they are beating you out of two years before it even starts. It should be called a four year extended , not six year extended, which with the factory two years TOTALS six years. They beat us over the head with our own arm here before we even get the bike out the door.

Usually if there are any defects, the factory warrantee will cover them in the first two years which is where they will show up unless you don't ride much. JMHO

Old 09-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks to all for the input. I sort of expected that its all something the dealer wants to make some money off of you on. I'm going to cank that stuff, with maybe the exception of the gap.
Thanks again,
Gary

Old 09-05-2005, 12:03 PM
buckanddot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ram....I aint much for extended warranties myself, they like prepaid maitenence is only money in the dealers pocket. Coupla years ago when Harleys only had a one year warranty and where prone to be a little less dependable, the extended warranties made a little more sense. Also if you're one of those 60,000 miles a year dudes, you'd probably be smart to get it, just for the cam tensioners.[:@]

I passed on the extended warranty the dealer tried to sell me when I bought my other bike in 2000. After the factory warranty ran out I got a call from the MOCO about an extended warranty that gave all your money back if you didn't use it. Sounded like a win/win situation. Sure enough, 4 years later I got a check back for 900 bucks. Just enough to put gear drive cams in er. Had to have all receipts for all required maitenence tho, and had to wait about 4 months......but I got er all back.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:34 PM
dirtnap664
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Ram

2) Tire and wheel, kind of like road hazard, another big expense. Do I "NEED" to get this too. Yah, I know - I don't need anything. When I say do I need this, I'm more meaning, who else has this? What has this done for you? Have you used it? ($290)

Roll the dice on this one. I didn't buy it. At 750 miles I ran over a razor blade and got a flat. $280 to get back onto the road. Still $10 cheaper than buying road hazard that you quoted $290. But could it still happen again? Of course.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:47 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

Well I went ahead and bought it, didnt' get all the extra stuff to finance with one exception, Gap insurance. So with all that I've potientially saved, I'm out fitting it with a rear trunk accessory pack with a pillow seat. The misses has some bad back problems and want to have as much support for her as I can get. I really think that I should have got a Glide, but what the heck - its not what you buy its what you build right! That needs to be in fine print some place.

Quick Reply: Hi, I'm still new, and bought a 06 FLHRI RoadKing. Had questions/ Up-dated.