General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Door Opener Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:46 PM
ut_vols_fan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Door Opener Kit

Don't know if any of you have installed the HD Garage Door Opener, p/n 91558-01, on your bike but wanted to provide some input if any are considering it. I just finished installing it last night. For starters, it ain't pleasant to put it in!! The transmitter mounts either in the fuse block area or behind it and in front of the mudguard. The cable is then routed into the fuse block area. Two wires are pulled out of the cable, one for a ground and one to tap off of an unused fuse slot. They provide the pigtail to put in the fuse block and the fuse to use. Then the hard part - the remaining 2 wires get fed under the fuel tank and into the headlight bucket to tap off the high/low beam wires. Not fun!! The worst part was getting those two wires into the headlight bucket and making it look presentable. The receiver mounts in your garage and has two wires that attach to the same terminals as your existing manual switch.

All that being said, the kit itself works pretty good. The rider just toggles the headlight from high beam to low beam and back to high beam (or vice versa if starting from low beam) which triggers the transmitter and voila - up she goes. What I like about it is that 1) you don't have to take your hands off the grips to open the door or take your gloves off to find your remote and 2) since it uses it's own receiver instead of the one integrated into the opener you can easily move it with you to a different opener if you relocate for any reason.

I got it for $98.98 at Zanotti's and would recommend it if you use a garage for your scoot.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Gviertell
Advanced
Default RE: Garage Door Opener Kit

Glad to hear it worked out o.k. for you. I installed one on my '07 ultra. The transmitter mounts under the fairing cap on them. It is a pretty easy install, but I recommend soldering the wires in instead of using the supplied butt connectors. I work in the auto repair and I do not like butt connectors for anything permanent. I love the way it works,best money spent if you garage your bike.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Dogwood
Tourer

It's a piece of cake for bikes with a fairing or headlight nacelle.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:50 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Thanks, I was thinking about getting one and now I will.
I'll just set aside a little more time for the install, I was figuring2 or 3 beersbut this sounds more a full case job!

[sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 03-29-2007, 05:26 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great, I was thinking of getting one of these... think I'll just stick to opening my front door and then hitting the gargae door opener. Maybe carry one of them mini transmiters in my saddlebag.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife bought me the opener for Christmas a few years back.

I installed the garage door opener kit on my Night Train and it wasn't too bad to install.

I'd have to say that it actually works pretty good! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-29-2007, 07:09 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

A good addition to be sure! Been talked about before here but theres other options out there;
http://motofx.com/
http://www.electricalconnection.com/...age-opener.htm
http://www.biketweakers.com/garagedooropener.html
I did something like the last but since my remote is 12v powered (as many are)I ditched the battery, wired into the high beam circuit and soldered the switch closed all the time. I swear I can pop my G/D open from 2 houses away!
Gotta love it!

Old 03-30-2007, 01:27 AM
iowacruiser
Tourer

I use the Garage Door Opener sold by Vance & Hines. I bought the BigShot Longs model. I just pull in the driveway, twist the right grip twice, and my bride opens the door for me.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:20 AM
ut_vols_fan
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Gviertell

It is a pretty easy install, but I recommend soldering the wires in instead of using the supplied butt connectors. I work in the auto repair and I do not like butt connectors for anything permanent.
I agree!! I am in the electronics business and I solder every connection I can get to. See too many butt connections or twist/tape connections cause problems later.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:23 AM
ut_vols_fan
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: iowacruiser

I use the Garage Door Opener sold by Vance & Hines. I bought the BigShot Longs model. I just pull in the driveway, twist the right grip twice, and my bride opens the door for me.
LMFAO...

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener Kit