General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Door Opener Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:30 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Garage Door Opener Kit

I just carry mine in my windshield bag.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Percy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started the job last night but stopped at step 1 as I couldn't access the backside of the fuse panel. Is there a trick to this?
After removing all the bolts I could pull the panel out about an inch and a half, but the connected wires prevented it from coming out any further. That inch and a half wasn't enough to let me access or really even see the empty fuse slot. [:@]
Also, (and I'm not sure because I couldn't really see in there) the "empty slot" shown in the diagram doesn't appear to be empty on mine but the one next door is. My bike had the security system installed when I bought it, so maybe they ran it into that slot. I don't suppose it matters what empty slot you use does it?

Old 06-01-2007, 03:53 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

simpley dont remove the fuse box...

the HD instructions sometimes call for things you really dont need to do..AT ALL.

just stick the little fuse clip up inside the fuse box where it needs to go..(remove battery only) to get access to it

I put the HD garage door opener on myself, make sure you dont have a full gas tank when ya do it:P suckers are heavy.proped mine up with a roll of duct-tape
and fished it through some wire sleeves and up to the headlamp

Old 06-01-2007, 03:59 PM
ut_vols_fan
Road Captain

I think there are a couple of tie-wraps down in the bundle that I had to cut to give it a little more room to come up giving access to the bottom to insert the fuse block wire. No, I don't reckon it matters exactly which fuse location you use, so long as your source is previously supplied with 12vdc and you use the correct fuse supplied with the kit......

Old 06-01-2007, 07:28 PM
JEFE
Elite HDF Member

I'm going to do the install this weekend.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:36 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ur suppost to use one that isnt used and put in the 2amp fuse square thing

place the unit under the bike next to the tire splash guard
route the wire to the battery area
add the quick connect for the battery ground mount
splice in the fuse wire
hook it into the fuse box
route the 2 wires up to the headlamp assembly under the tank
splice into the wires(left side for my fatboy 07)
put in the 2amp fuse

and test it

simple..except with a full tank of gas :P

Old 06-01-2007, 07:36 PM
barkster99
Tourer

Love mine. Installed on Sportie, removed and installed on Road King. No problems.

On Sportie, instructions did say to fish wires into headlight housing. I ain't too bright but thought, "Why not just splice them in short of the headlight, at front of gas tank. They're thesame wires, ain't they?" Worked like a champ. Connectors hid, no problems. Like said above, sometimes Harley instructions need some creative revision.

Best, goofiest, accessory I ever bought. Stillsmile everytime I use it.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:46 AM
Percy
Advanced

Got er done this afternoon.
Before I connected anything under the seat I drank a beer, then ran a coat hanger up the left side of the frame, through the wire housing channels, up and under the tank (didn't have to lift it cuz I have a Jackyl 2" lift on already) then out of the right side of the front where the headlight wires come out. Drank another beer after than (it was hard work) and taped the wires from the "sending unit" to the hangar.
Then I removed the battery like y'all suggested, and was able to find the empty fuse slot. It wasn't in the same place as indicated in the instructions, but it was empty so I figured it would work. Drank a beer, then soldered the orange and white wire from the sending unit to the orange and white wire from the fuse wire, taped that connection up, and pushed the fuse wire connector into the back side of the fuse panel...drank a beer, then grounded the black wire on to the existing rear fender ground
Drank a beer, then pulled the hanger from the front end, which pulled the sending unit wires through from under the bike and out the right side of the front end. Pulled some slack out from under the tank, spliced my recently pulled doo dad wires to those, then wrapped those connections in electrical tape and then wrapped that in the wire wrap included in the kit, then shoved the whole bunch back through the slot on the right side of the front, and pushed it all under the tank.
Drank a beer, buttoned everything up, drank another beer, did the programming, and the door opened
Thanks guys for the help. As you know, this forum rocks

On a side note, I was thinking of adding an alarm to my security system, but it looks like all of my fuses are filled up now. Does anyone know how the alarm (siren) adds on to the security system?
Ride Safe

Old 06-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Percy
Advanced

Oh by the way, my install refers to a 2007 Wide Glide...

Old 06-02-2007, 01:55 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I just velcroed the remote to the fairing cap just behind the windshield. Works great.
[8D]