General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me get off the fence, re: Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007 | 04:50 PM
ggf
|
Intermediate
Default Help me get off the fence, re: Deluxe

Hi everyone. I'm new here but hopefully will be spending a lot of time on the board in the future. I'm looking at buying a Softail Deluxe and hoping to get some input and feedback from you to help me decide. I know very little about the Deluxe. Here are my two choices: An '05(nice color, but not first choice) with about $2000-2500 in accessories/chrome but also with 23,000+ miles that I can get for about $3000 less than a '07 Deluxe (and in the color I want). Any thoughts or opinions. I now what the differences are (for the most part), but have no real world experience to make an educated decision. Thanks a bunch.
Greg

Old 03-28-2007 | 04:57 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Default RE: Help me get off the fence, re: Deluxe

Two years old, 23K miles, not the color you'd prefer, and only three grand less than a new bike in the color you want? I'd opt for the new bike. A couple grand in accessories is not that enticing a deal to me. It's just not that much; considering. You'll likely find that you'll spend that up (and much more) sooner than you think. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2007 | 04:58 PM
Jake88
Tourer

THere is nothing wrong with buying used. Most Harleys have had wonderful service, and most people purchase the bike with service package anyway. If you can get a bunch of accesories, what's wrong with someone breaking it in for you? Especially if you save 5-6 thousand dollars?

Old 03-28-2007 | 05:02 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

If you liked the used one better than the 07, get it and repaint it someday. Otherwise new is quite nice.

Old 03-28-2007 | 05:05 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master

I bought my 05 Deluxe used, but I got a much better bargain than you are describing. Mine had 12k miles with the 95 inch kit (and a bunch of other motor upgrades) installed at 8k miles. The 07's were about 19k at the time.

I have receipts for just under 25k and I gave 14 for mine. I think you can do alot better on price for 23k miles, especially if the motor is stock. Look around more, look on ebay (completed auctions) and you will get a general idea of good prices. Mine was private party in the local paper. BTW, mine had 8 months warranty left.

Good Luck.

Old 03-28-2007 | 05:25 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior

TX has the right idea. Besides, is the bling-bling what YOU would put on YOUR bike? Or is it just bling-bling. You can get a lot of goodies for 20% off. I'd go new in a heartbeat. BTW.. the wife has an 07 Deluxe... and I've enjoyed putting about 1200 miles on "HER" scoot. GREAT choice in a ride! What color do YOU want??

Old 03-28-2007 | 05:30 PM
corgi
Road Master

I would most likely do the new bike. The big thing for me would be getting exactly what I wanted. thats a lot of money, might as well be happy. last thing you want to do is being in a position where you wish you did something else. plus the warranty. you don;t have to do everything all at once. It's kinda fun going to the Harley store and picking something else up to add.

Old 03-28-2007 | 05:39 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

No second thoughts here. I don't consider the used bike a bargain. For the difference you're talking about I would buy the new.

Old 03-28-2007 | 05:40 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

Bigger motor, new 6 speed, the color you want...............no brainer. The 05 is no bargain and when you go to sell it, you will easily lose that $3000 that you save. Buy the 07

Old 03-28-2007 | 05:42 PM
Tnicean
Tourer

Between the two bikes you mentioned, I would go for the new bike (3 grand ain't that much of a discount for the used bike) break it in myself and add whatever I wanted as time went along. I bought my 2002 Heritage Classic new and didn't even look used because I was buying a bike I would never sell. Now I want an ultra classic, but I'll keep my Heritage for all time. My first Harley.
Tnicean

Quick Reply: Help me get off the fence, re: Deluxe