General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone apps to talk with riding partners

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:49 PM
RudyTransylvanianCanadian
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone apps to talk with riding partners

It might be a crazy idea, or ...the other solution is too simple for being obvious .... but I am still going to ask:
Does anybody know of such an app - that would connect 2 or more iPhones, so when we ride 2 or more bikes - we could use this app to connect - say via bluetooth our iphones and this way the riders could talk to each other.
I know there are specific devices people could buy - ...but they say that there is an app for everything.
Thanks
Rudy

Old 04-29-2014, 11:00 PM
HDBiga
Advanced

App is called WeRide. One of my favourites for sure.
You can't talk through the app, but msg and GPS of other riders location is an easy setup.

Attached Thumbnails iPhone apps to talk with riding partners-image-1954825543.jpg  

Last edited by HDBiga; 04-29-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:46 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 764 Posts

Bluetooth function in cellphones are limited to a class 2 or 3 function meaning short range up to 30 feet or thereabouts, not good for bike to bike communications. You could use the cellular provider to link your phone to other cellphones in a walkie talkie like fashion. There are a few apps out there that do this, the most popular one being Zello. You can talk one to one or create specific groups. This is how protesters and rioters can instantly communicate and organize themselves in far flung countries when railing against their government. Here's a link to a few of these apps.
http://readwrite.com/2012/05/23/5-pu...oCTLbKSPgWcy0H

Old 04-30-2014, 07:26 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those look interesting, but you have to "click" on something on the phone when talking. It would be much better if it were VOX operated, so you could talk hands-free, perhaps using a voice command to start and end the group call to avoid consuming battery power continously.

I like your thinking though, Rudy. Although there are many different bluetooth headset manufacturers, if you had an app that covered iPhone and Android, you'd be able to pretty much talk to any of your mates without worrying about exactly which brand of headset they went for.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:37 AM
RudyTransylvanianCanadian
6th Gear

Originally Posted by peg20
Those look interesting, but you have to "click" on something on the phone when talking. It would be much better if it were VOX operated, so you could talk hands-free, perhaps using a voice command to start and end the group call to avoid consuming battery power continously.

I like your thinking though, Rudy. Although there are many different bluetooth headset manufacturers, if you had an app that covered iPhone and Android, you'd be able to pretty much talk to any of your mates without worrying about exactly which brand of headset they went for.
And that's exactly my point
Of course - SAFETY FIRST. Not being required to lift your hands from the controls of the bike - something that gets either voice activated - or continuously waiting for either way communication.
It could connect with anybody already preset in the app - who might be in the range of 30 feet for bloototh - or 100 feet for the smartphone's wifi functionality.
Hey, I guess I just gave a great idea to somebody who is a smartphone app developer and is reading our forum.
Thanks for the replies.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:07 AM
JP-FLSTFB
Tourer

You can use teamspeak app on any smartphone. However you will need to run the teamspeak server on someone's home pc for it to work. The pc running the server is the hub to connect whomever want to chat.

It is also voice activated once the app is running on your phone and linked to say a Bluetooth helmet.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 764 Posts

Voice activated switching is hit or miss, usually miss when riding on a motorcycle. Wind noise is very difficult to overcome if you're not wearing a full face helmet. Bluetooth is a full duplex system where you're transmitting and receiving at the same time, perhaps you can Velcro your phone close to your handgrip to activate the push to talk function.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:33 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

One big reason talking on a phone while driving is a bad idea has to do with the amount of attention the conversation requires. It's not so much about holding the phone in your hand. So hands-free devices, while legal most places, still don't solve the problem. Certainly if you take your eyes off the road for any reason--to dial a number, or select a 'talk' button--that's always a bad idea, too.

Anything that reduces your situational awareness while riding is going to reduce your margin of safety. If you want to chat very much, it's probably a better deal to pull over, get off, and have a face-to-face.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 04-30-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:02 PM
kirbyblue
Tourer

I'm riding with a friend and my cell phone needed charging and my charger was broken. He put mine on his charger and I had his phone on my handle bars. I notice it light up for no reason. when we stopped he said he was calling to check on sick family member.
Here's an idea for your question
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/134-...FUcV7AodaikA_Q

Old 04-30-2014, 10:46 PM
Jimmykoz
Cruiser

There are a lot of apps for communication by not actually making a phone call. But they need internet. Skype obviously being pretty easy. Team speak is another. But once again you need internet. Not sure why they don't have something but either way you'll need a internet connection I'm guessing.

Quick Reply: iPhone apps to talk with riding partners