General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completely new to the riding scene

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014 | 10:27 PM
Di3NaSsT33
|
Stage IV
Default Completely new to the riding scene

Hello all. I want to start by saying sorry if this is the incorrect forum. I am new to the site. I'm looking for information/advice about the right Harley for me. As the "Title" says. I am new to riding. As in, I just passed the MSF today. I am looking to buy a bike, and get my feet wet. I should say, I've only rode for about two days, and only on a CMX250, the bikes used during the course. My question is, what would be the best, I guess entry level "if there is such" Harley? Again, completely new to riding here. I am not interested in buying a CMX250. I know a lot of people might tell me, that would be the perfect entry level bike, then move up. But I am looking for other options, or at least some input from veteran riders. I have looked online at the specs of a few bikes, and the weight limit, sadly to say, for Harley's is rather intimidating. I would post my weight, but trust me, for my age and height, I am considered underweight by far. Side effects of a ultra fast metabolisim I'm afraid. And it is embarrassing to say the least. I will go on to say, I did drop the Rebel 3 times. I just wasn't ready for the weight. Once I got used to riding it. It did not happen again, once I learned the proper approach. I didn't drop it while driving, but once coming in for a stop, didn't straighten the wheel out. Can't blame me for not knowing. Is it wise to jump in and learn on a heavier bike? Or gradually get up that level? From what the instructor told me, I had the best leaning form in the class, once I stopped stressing so much, and just did what he told me todo. So, I'm not worried about certain things, like leans. I'm still getting used to shifting. I've never shifted a gear in my life, car or bike. More or less, the actual weight of the bike, and me being a small framed skinny guy. I have heard, and watched videos of women, riding 500 pound bikes. Then again, I'm sure they had more time on bikes than I. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? I've loved HD bikes since I was a child. Thanks for the input

Old 04-27-2014 | 11:05 PM
Jimmykoz
Cruiser

This is a tough one. Seeing as how you dropped a 250 that many times is have to say start off small. But there are a lot of draw backs. I started off on a ninja 250. Only rode a dirt bike about 7 years before. Fell once. I never dropped a bike. Now. When you start off small and you get used to the bike you realize you made a big mistake. You want bigger. You crave bigger. I did the exact same. My second bike was a zx6r. That's the one I should've started on. From there I got my road king. Never dropped it but it was very, very intimidating. Extremely heavy and not forgiving. I honestly think you should start on a fat boy or soft tail. They are medium sized. Shouldn't be to hard ya. Sit back and wait for some advice and go from there.

Old 04-27-2014 | 11:19 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

If possible Id recommend getting some more time under your belt on a lighter bike before moving to something heavier. 2 days of msf school and dropping a light bike 3 X is where Im coming from. When you get your coordination down with the clutch & slow turns and things become second nature then move up... Heavy bikes are harder to ride slow than fast

Last edited by ynots; 04-27-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2014 | 11:24 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

Personally I don't think a Harley should be anyone's first motorcycle. I started off riding on a 40cc Chinese scooter and 12 motorcycles later I am glad I did. I don't know any motorcycle rider that never dropped a motorcycle. No matter what Harley you buy any damage will cost you hundreds if not thousands to get fixed and I know this from personally experience. When someone gets a Harley it shouldn't be because they want a starter bike but it should be because they are getting the bike of their dreams. When you get a Harley it should be the one you want and not the one you think you can handle because you are new to motorcycles.

Old 04-27-2014 | 11:51 PM
deano360
Road Warrior

ok, for me this isnt a tough question... i have been riding since i was a kid, i know someone that got a new harley and she wanted me to show her how to ride... i showed her the basics and she was able to go up and down the parking lot, she then went thru the MSF course and afterwards she got back on her sporty and it was to much.. she got a suzuki GZ 250 and rode it for a year until she got experiance, now she rides a soft tail slim...

i mention this because you said the harley is intimidating, you also are looking for input as to what we on the forum think... so heres what i think, if you have never been on a bike before the riding course, get a small bike and work your way up to the harley.. just because you have always wanted a harley, you may find out the riding is not for you and investing that much into a bike is not the nest way to do things... i would hate to see anyone go out buy a bigger bike and end up dead because they have no experience.. i agree with tailsfrommycrib a harley is not a beginners bike, i think its to much of a bike for someone who has NO experience... if you had a years worth of experience then i would say go for it, get a dyna or a soft tail.. but i cant recommend one, with the info you have given....

Old 04-28-2014 | 12:02 AM
awan247
Novice

Welcome and I am also new to riding forum. Like riding on the hill tracks.

Old 04-28-2014 | 12:20 AM
Todd1113
Cruiser

I would definitely find something small, cheap, and used to ride for a season that you can dump pretty easy afterwards then get the nice bike you've always wanted without worry of tearing it up.

Old 04-28-2014 | 12:28 AM
rbeamj
Tourer

I recently went through this dilemma however purchased a heritage as my first ride. It is big and a bit intimidating. As you mentioned you dropped the training bikes I would recommend a smaller bike to start with

Scour Craigslist and local classifieds for a bike. Ride it until you get comfortable then sell it on said publications. This is two fold. One you will learn to ride with minimal investment and sometimes even come out ahead. I know a guy who bought a 250 for 1500. Rode it for 3 months and sold it for 2k then bought a bigger bike.

If you really want a harley wait until June when they sell the street 500 and 750. These bikes are what the dealership will be using for their riders course so they are easy to learn on as well

Old 04-28-2014 | 12:35 AM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior

Well you didn't say just how young or small you are, but perhaps you should ride a scooter for a while just to get the feel of how a 2-wheeled vehicle works, then move up to something a bit bigger with a clutch while taking whatever rider courses you can and watch a lot of youtube instructions videos during the off-time.

Old 04-28-2014 | 01:00 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by deano360
just because you have always wanted a harley, you may find out the riding is not for you and investing that much into a bike is not the nest way to do things... i would hate to see anyone go out buy a bigger bike and end up dead because they have no experience.
This is my advice also. Over the past 46 years, I have seen many new riders. Some end up dead from accidents, but by far most don't ride very long. Either because they recognize the danger because it is not as easy as they thought to ride in traffic, or it just wasn't what they expected.

There is no shame in getting something smaller to 'test the waters'. It may even be beneficial in the long run.

Last edited by rjg883c; 04-28-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Completely new to the riding scene