General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completely new to the riding scene

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014 | 09:46 AM
HighRoad
Intermediate

I started on a Honda Shadow 1100 and liked it

Old 04-29-2014 | 12:20 PM
japer1372
Intermediate

I've been riding for over 30 years and just last year decided to "step up" to a Harley sized bike. I cannot imagine it would be advisable to start riding and buy a Harley for your first bike. The size and weight would have totally intimidated me when I was a new rider with no real experience riding a street bike.

I worked my way up from a Yamaha 175 Enduro, to a Suzuki 400, a Kawasaki 440LTD, a Suzuki Intruder VS800 and just last year a Harley FXSTC.

I too am on the shorter side (5'8" tall). In my early years I would have been what you described as "slender" too....although now in my later years have put on a few pounds....lol.

My biggest problem always was/is finding a bike I could flat foot. If I might make a suggestion for you, try looking for a used Suzuki VS800 intruder. The bike has a very low seat and I could flat foot it with no trouble at all. It's probably 200 pounds lighter than my current Harley and also has a very low center of balance, all qualities that would help you during your learning curve.

I owned my Suzuki VS800 intruder for 12 years and loved riding it. It's a great bike, has plenty of power and I would think be a good choice for you as an intermediate step before buying a Harley.

I love my Harley FXSTC, and I can flat foot that as well, but my riding boots with a thick sole/heel also help in that regard.

I'd hate to see you bite off more than you can chew with a large heavy bike right off the bat. Work you way up and when you do get your Harley.....you'll appreciate it even more !

Old 04-29-2014 | 12:45 PM
Di3NaSsT33
|
Stage IV

Originally Posted by MotaMan
First, you're doing yourself a favor starting small. I started street riding on a DT125 enduro (dual sport, these days?) when I was 16.

If you're thinking of a Rebel 250, be sure to check out the Yamaha VStar 250. Similar size/weight as a Rebel, but it has a v-twin.

Here's a link to a picture of one; if I put a picture of a Yamaha in a post directly on the forum, it'd be,

Yamaha VStar 250

Really, the small bikes seem to sell pretty well, at least here in the Chicago suburbs. I think you would have no problem selling one when you're ready to move up. You may do well trading it in if you buy your next bike from a dealer.
It's funny you mentioned the Yamaha. I am looking at an ad on craigslist for a 2008 Yamaha 250. 983 miles on it and for a relatively good price. The specs say the dry weight is 300 lbs. Less than the Rebel I believe. Something is drawing me to that bike above all else at the moment. Really, I am glad you've all given me your input. I don't consider Harleys a bad choice but for my situation at the moment you make good points about getting something smaller. You've most certainly made buying my first bike a lot easier. So thanks again! Heres hoping everything turns out alright.

Old 05-01-2014 | 07:21 PM
bgtim
Stage IV

Whatever you ride, you will enjoy the hell out of it!

Old 05-02-2014 | 06:14 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior

I recommend a 250cc Honda, Kawasaki, etc. to start with. Ride that five or ten thousand miles, then move up to a bigger bike once you're acclimated to handling, and riding a motorcycle.

You sound like you're in the high-risk demographic for crashes, i.e., a 'mature' rider returning to riding after a lengthy absence, or riding a motorcycle for the first time. Your focus should be on safety, learning to handle yourself (and the bike) in all types of traffic, and riding situations, e.g., parking-lots, parking on hills, riding on rush-hour freeways and busy surface streets with numerous 'left turn' lanes on the opposite side of the street… I think a smaller bike will be easier to man-handle, easier to maneuver, and will allow you to focus on developing your basic riding skills without siphoning away your attention by being overly worried about dropping the bike, or making the next tight-turn into a parking lot, or…etc.

Take the advanced MSF course.

After you have a few thousand miles in, take a 'riding' course, e.g., Keith Code Superbike school. They are not for beginners, and are generally focused on racing. But (perhaps surprisingly) you'll learn a number of techniques from the school that will help you out in regular street-riding. These are techniques and methods--and general two-wheel knowledge--you will use forever after.

Ride as often as you can, daily if possible. Seat-time is your friend.

If you have to have a Harley, buy one and park it in the garage and go out and look at it from time to time while you have a cup of coffee. Ponder its beauty as you reflect on your goal to be able to safety ride it. Without dropping it frequently. You might even, after a thousand miles or so on your 'small' bike, throw a leg over the Harley and ride it around the block…or to the corner store and back again. Short trips, in non-intense (low traffic) situations to give you the 'feel' of the bike.

Be consistent with your riding, but don't rush to become accomplished. It really does take riding time and current-experience (recent riding time). Example: Two guys over a 10 year period. One rides every day, and has 75K miles of 'seat time' experience. The other guy rides weekends in the summer, and has 5K miles seat-time. Both have been riding '10 years'. If you look at them at any given time, the guy with more miles will have the edge. If you look at them on January first of any year…the guy who rides every day is going to be far more 'safe' than the other dude. Overall 'miles ridden' over a given time period is one indicator of competency. But so is riding frequently and recent riding experience. In my case, if I don't ride for 2 weeks (which doesn't often happen) I'm going to be a little 'stale' until I get 100 miles in.

That 'riding every day' can't be stressed enough. If you live in a climate where that's not possible, then be very careful at the beginning of the riding season, and for about 1000 miles thereafter. You're essentially a 'new' rider then, again, though it will all come back quickly as you ride those first 1000 miles or so, of the new riding season.

As for size/weight of a bike, that should not be an issue unless you have to tippy-toe the bike. If you can get your feet on the ground comfortably, then your goal is to learn to keep the weight centered, in every situation, such that the bike doesn't tip too far and go down. This just takes practice, and a modicum of physical ability. It's no more difficult to balance an 800 pound Harley than it is a 250 pound Honda. The big difference is, you can probably lean the Honda further over without 'losing' it. So it's more forgiving of this. The Harley isn't very forgiving in this context.

In fact, Harley is now making 500cc and 750cc bikes. I don't know much about them except they must be fairly light-weight…and they're both Harleys. You might start with a 250cc, then move up to one of the small Harleys, finally getting a soft-tail or touring-bike when your riding/bike-handling skills are well developed.

Set your bike up for you physical size. If you're short--get a 'low' seat. Get the bars set so you're not stretching too far. Adjust the levers so they're angled right. Get a backrest if you have issues with your back. If you're uncomfortable on your bike it's going to put you into an increased state of risk potentially. (By taking your mind off the business at hand of watching out for threats to you and your bike).

You can start on a 'big' bike. But it will be a less stressful experience if you start small, cut your teeth on a 'mini' bike, then graduate to a Harley (or whatever) when you have some experience. Let your small (inexpensive) bike take the learner's knocks, scrapes, and scratches. Save the Harley for when you become stable, and sure on two wheels.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 05-02-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-02-2014 | 07:15 AM
Pappy1
Road Captain

There are Tons of used Sportster's out there for sale...buy a good used one start off small ...get use to it and work your way up...good thing about them they are light and not much plastic...so not much to tear up if you drop it...get your riding skills down...and once your ready move up to a bigger bike...Riding is like walking...better to get the crawl down first....

Old 05-02-2014 | 09:21 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member

Buy used, get a smaller bike. Work your way up, you can sell a used starter bike for almost as much as you paid for it if you buy right, and don't fall prey to the mod this and upgrade that bug. Nothing larger than 500cc to start, find yourself a used suzuki gs500 the one without all the fairings on it.

Old 05-02-2014 | 09:36 AM
Dirigo74
Intermediate

FWIW my girlfriend started with a VTX600 and sold it after 9 weeks. In those 9 weeks she put almost 9000 miles on. Went out and bought a Dyna Lowrider and puts about 10k miles a year on. Shes is only 5'5 and maybe 130lbs and she rides the snot out of the thing.
My point is that everyone is different. She spent 20 years almost as a passenger, that has to be an advantage. I'm not saying run out and buy a Dyna or other BT, but I do not think EVERYONE has to start out on a 250.
You have to take into account all the factors about YOU. Are you athletic? Strong for your size? Do you take safety extremely serious? Do you tend to pay attention to traffic when you're driving your car?

This all just my opinion, but I don't think a Sportster is a good first bike for you.....maybe an 883 Low, but even then it's going to be top heavy and pretty powerful for a new rider. Contrary to what some people think, Sportys are NOT entry level bikes.
A riding course is going to be a must, and it will allow you to ride some small bikes. Get out and sit on as many as you can and see what fits.

Old 05-02-2014 | 09:39 AM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member

Good luck