General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completely new to the riding scene

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014 | 07:24 PM
vaxt
Cruiser

Lots of good advice here. Get the "Ride Like a Pro" video. I don't think anyone mentioned this but definitely buy the book Proficient Motorcycling (this book covers all aspects of riding, not just riding slowly) (If you can have only one, the book is better) (The book is readily available on Amazon). Read the entire book before you ride in traffic.

Remember, the MSF course only teaches you how to ride a motorcycle in a parking lot at 20 mph. Practice, practice, practice: in low-traffic neighborhoods and parking lots. Read, watch, and practice.

I would recommend a small 250cc bike. With a low-powered bike it will take you much longer to get into high-speed trouble. This is where most beginners make their mistake. They buy a fast, powerful bike and get in over their heads.

Old 04-28-2014 | 07:27 PM
45calibertranslator
Cruiser

You can start on a Harley for sure. The Road King that is my avatar was my first motorcycle ever. Had never even ridden a dirt bike before. A good bit bigger than you are (6'2" and 275) though. It was a bit daunting at first, no doubt. Put a lot of parking lot miles on it and even more back road miles on it before I ventured out into traffic. Don't regret a minute of it. Would do it the exact same way if I had to do it over again. Take your time and use what you've learned.

Old 04-28-2014 | 09:00 PM
Ratbike_Mike
Tourer

It's not the size of the bike that'll put you down, it's fear, panic and intimidation that'll do you in. Anything between a 250 and an 883 (even a 1200) will be fine for you. I'm a thin guy, started on a 650 and wished I had more power 8 weeks later. Difference was I was never scared to ride it. Now I don't care as much about power and just enjoy the ride, and I'm back on a 650. Whatever suits you. That's what it's all about.

You definitely want to buy something used and a little beaten. Something you won't cry over if you drop. All of the mentioned bikes are good. Triumphs are cool too!

I wouldn't worry much about a stolen bike, as I would about thin paperwork. If the owner has a title you should be good. Check the numbers on the frame (usually around the neck) and engine to the papers. Also, contact the DMV before you start your search and ask what other paperwork is acceptable/required to register a bike, especially when it comes to a "bill of sale". Some states require a B.O.S. to be notarized and want a pencil etching of the VIN numbers off the bike.

Good luck. And RELAX.

Old 04-28-2014 | 10:48 PM
Fireax
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Di3NaSsT33
Thank you all for the input. I have read every comment, and it mean's a lot to me. I honestly think, I will go with a Honda Rebel, as that is what I really feel most comfortable on, at the moment.....!
I think you made the right decision.

1. Size and weight are not a limitation for becoming an excellent rider on any machine of your choice, but total horsepower to weight ratio can be extremely important for a new rider, or even an experienced rider just getting back into the game. I have a friend who had been off bikes for a number of years, recently decided to get back in the game. Too much power, rain slick road, diminished reflexes resulted in a near fatal accident, he is still recovering. Develop your reflexes on the smaller bike, move up when you are comfortable. And, Riding a heavier machine might not be a problem, but sometimes Backing it out of a gravel parking lot can take a little weight.

2. Maybe you will be one of the careful and fortunate few who will not scratch your first bike, but my money says most of us do. My first bike, at age 21, was a 250 Suzuki. I rode it from Lansing, Michigan to Hammond, Louisiana, then to Alvin, Texas. In Alvin on a dark night a Doberman Pincher took it as a Tbone. Totaled the bike and the dog and put me in the hospital. Black dog, black pavement, black night, not much I could do about it. Along the way it took a lot of scuffs and scratches as payment for my learning curve, but by the time the dog got it I was ready to move up. Sure am glad it was not the "Machine of my Dreams".

3. Lots of very nice used Harleys out there with just about no miles on them. The 1200 XL in my sig was a 2007 I bought in 2010. It had 1500 miles on it. 3 years old, 1500 miles. Lots of people dream of riding a Harley. Buy the bike. Get the Tshirt. Sell the bike. Maybe it isn't what you think it will be.

4. I have another friend about your size and weight that commutes daily on a Rebel. Plenty of power, for his weight, to do what he wants to do, and he loves the fuel efficiency and maneuverability. He is perfectly content, has no intention of moving up. You might like the Rebel, and even if you move up it would be a good ride to keep for friends whom you might want to introduce to the sport.

I know I have spent a lot of time and words just supporting what many others have said, but I think it is important to Start Small. I agree with you and many others the Rebel (or an equivalent) is the right decision.

Last edited by Fireax; 04-28-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2014 | 11:03 PM
MotaMan
Cruiser

First, you're doing yourself a favor starting small. I started street riding on a DT125 enduro (dual sport, these days?) when I was 16.

If you're thinking of a Rebel 250, be sure to check out the Yamaha VStar 250. Similar size/weight as a Rebel, but it has a v-twin.

Here's a link to a picture of one; if I put a picture of a Yamaha in a post directly on the forum, it'd be,

Yamaha VStar 250

Really, the small bikes seem to sell pretty well, at least here in the Chicago suburbs. I think you would have no problem selling one when you're ready to move up. You may do well trading it in if you buy your next bike from a dealer.

Last edited by MotaMan; 04-28-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2014 | 11:09 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain

G-d willing, I will be celebrating my 71st birthday in three months and have been riding for the past three years - the past two years on my H-D Sportster 883 and the year before getting my H-D on a Suzuki s40 (650cc single cylinder). Prior to the Suzuki s40 I had a smaller Suzuki 250 in Wisconsin during the early 1970's.

I am also about your size, a male 5'6" and 135 lbs. if you can flat foot it at an intersection, your weight will not matter. If you do decide to purchase a Harley, make it a used 883 and to make the learning curve both safer and less expensive, I would definitly suggest adding Highway (crash) bars as a priority. Believe me, it will be money well spent. Above all, read all you can (subscribe to Motorcycle Consumer News and get the Ride-Like-A-Pro video. Think everything through and stay safe.

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Last edited by Str8chuter; 04-28-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2014 | 11:33 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

A Sportster 883 is as docile as any bike on the road. As many people have learned to ride on a Sporty as any other bike on the road. The weight will be a non issue, it handles great and you won't outgrow it unless you want to. Get one and ride it.

Old 04-29-2014 | 09:08 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

deleted

Old 04-29-2014 | 09:09 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

100cc Yamaha was my first bike.
45 years later, I'm still riding.

Old 04-29-2014 | 09:11 AM
kmerrow74
Stage III
Default Thanks

Thanks for the input! I have rode a lot of dirt bike as a kid and teen but nothing like a street bike. Still thinking about the Sportster but won't be getting the Breakout.

Quick Reply: Completely new to the riding scene