General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completely new to the riding scene

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014 | 11:07 AM
marshalleugene
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
The weight of the rider has absolutely nothing to do with riding the bike and never has. No reason you can't go straight to a Harley if you want. Many low center of gravity Harleys are more stable than a 250 cc metric bike. It is very easy to drop a small skinny tires metric bike if the pavement is wet. Buy and ride what you want with two caveats No passengers for 2,000 miles and purchase the ride like a pro videos and practice the exercises for two hours a week.

Great advice....

Old 04-28-2014 | 11:12 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Why did you use the word 'borderline'?
Well, don't wanna scare the new guy (yet)...

Old 04-28-2014 | 11:32 AM
HpyRider
Advanced
Default New Rider

Start small and light. Work on your skills and confidence. No one will think of you as unmanly for using your smarts to gain experience. When you are ready, and you will know when your are, get the biger bike. Resist the temptation to buy big at first. I lived around a military base many years and have seen young troups away from home for the first time, go purchase a super bike as their first ride. Many of them become stastics due to their lack of experience. There is always time to upgrade.

Old 04-28-2014 | 02:00 PM
Di3NaSsT33
|
Stage IV

Thank you all for the input. I have read every comment, and it mean's a lot to me. I honestly think, I will go with a Honda Rebel, as that is what I really feel most comfortable on, at the moment. And once, I am ready, a Harley it shall be! Can anyone give any advice on buying a used bike, from a seller rather than a dealer? My fear is, that I may come across a stolen bike. Which, I obviously do not want to get in trouble. Is there normally more then one area that contains a vin number? Is there any sure fire way to make sure, the bike isn't stolen? I wish, this was one of the topics they taught in class. Thanks ahead of time!

Old 04-28-2014 | 02:07 PM
Infinite_Day
Cruiser

For a Rebel it's most likely the seller will have title in hand. Ask about service, condition, etc... You'll probably be able to tell pretty quick if somebody's trying to offload a hot bike. However, Rebels aren't high on the list of desireable bike to steal so probably not too big of a concern in that regard. Most people buy them for the exact reason you are and then sell them off with low miles. Be careful about meeting people if you intend to pay in cash. Neutral spots with people help - think Wal-Mart parking lot. Almost nobody will let you test ride a motorcycle without you giving them cash to hold up-front. You break it, you bought it - particularly with a new rider.

Old 04-28-2014 | 05:13 PM
Crusader45
Cruiser

My wife goes takes her riders edge course this weekend, she has a new Slim waiting for her in the garage. Depending on how she does, she will be hopping on the Slim right after or I will be buying her a Honda Rebel. Personally, I think the slim is probably the best starter bike HD makes. Lowest seat height, lowest center of gravity...very nimble to ride. If she doesn't like riding, well then I have a second bike Have it covered for whatever the outcome is.

Old 04-28-2014 | 05:34 PM
jmalmsteen
Tourer

Originally Posted by Di3NaSsT33
Hello all. I want to start by saying sorry if this is the incorrect forum. I am new to the site. I'm looking for information/advice about the right Harley for me. As the "Title" says. I am new to riding. As in, I just passed the MSF today. I am looking to buy a bike, and get my feet wet. I should say, I've only rode for about two days, and only on a CMX250, the bikes used during the course. My question is, what would be the best, I guess entry level "if there is such" Harley? Again, completely new to riding here. I am not interested in buying a CMX250. I know a lot of people might tell me, that would be the perfect entry level bike, then move up. But I am looking for other options, or at least some input from veteran riders. I have looked online at the specs of a few bikes, and the weight limit, sadly to say, for Harley's is rather intimidating. I would post my weight, but trust me, for my age and height, I am considered underweight by far. Side effects of a ultra fast metabolisim I'm afraid. And it is embarrassing to say the least. I will go on to say, I did drop the Rebel 3 times. I just wasn't ready for the weight. Once I got used to riding it. It did not happen again, once I learned the proper approach. I didn't drop it while driving, but once coming in for a stop, didn't straighten the wheel out. Can't blame me for not knowing. Is it wise to jump in and learn on a heavier bike? Or gradually get up that level? From what the instructor told me, I had the best leaning form in the class, once I stopped stressing so much, and just did what he told me todo. So, I'm not worried about certain things, like leans. I'm still getting used to shifting. I've never shifted a gear in my life, car or bike. More or less, the actual weight of the bike, and me being a small framed skinny guy. I have heard, and watched videos of women, riding 500 pound bikes. Then again, I'm sure they had more time on bikes than I. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? I've loved HD bikes since I was a child. Thanks for the input
Get something small to start. Riding on the road is way different than MSF. You will experience hills. You didn't say your weight, but I am a 120 lb female. My Sportster took some getting used to and was way different compared to an MSF bike.

I would go for something light. Get a Suzuki S40 or a Rebel or something like that, or a CBR250 Honda. You aren't helping yourself going for a 600lb bike to start.

Last edited by jmalmsteen; 04-28-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2014 | 06:12 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

I wouldn't be concerned with buying a stolen bike if the seller has the title at the same address you are seeing the bike at. Bring somebody with you if you're carrying cash. When you call about a motorcycle you'll be fine if the seller seems to know the history, mods, service dates etc. If it sounds sketchy on the phone then stay away.

Old 04-28-2014 | 06:14 PM
Nitschke
Advanced

Originally Posted by Di3NaSsT33
Hello all. I want to start by saying sorry if this is the incorrect forum. I am new to the site. I'm looking for information/advice about the right Harley for me. As the "Title" says. I am new to riding. As in, I just passed the MSF today. I am looking to buy a bike, and get my feet wet. I should say, I've only rode for about two days, and only on a CMX250, the bikes used during the course. My question is, what would be the best, I guess entry level "if there is such" Harley? Again, completely new to riding here. I am not interested in buying a CMX250. I know a lot of people might tell me, that would be the perfect entry level bike, then move up. But I am looking for other options, or at least some input from veteran riders. I have looked online at the specs of a few bikes, and the weight limit, sadly to say, for Harley's is rather intimidating. I would post my weight, but trust me, for my age and height, I am considered underweight by far. Side effects of a ultra fast metabolisim I'm afraid. And it is embarrassing to say the least. I will go on to say, I did drop the Rebel 3 times. I just wasn't ready for the weight. Once I got used to riding it. It did not happen again, once I learned the proper approach. I didn't drop it while driving, but once coming in for a stop, didn't straighten the wheel out. Can't blame me for not knowing. Is it wise to jump in and learn on a heavier bike? Or gradually get up that level? From what the instructor told me, I had the best leaning form in the class, once I stopped stressing so much, and just did what he told me todo. So, I'm not worried about certain things, like leans. I'm still getting used to shifting. I've never shifted a gear in my life, car or bike. More or less, the actual weight of the bike, and me being a small framed skinny guy. I have heard, and watched videos of women, riding 500 pound bikes. Then again, I'm sure they had more time on bikes than I. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? I've loved HD bikes since I was a child. Thanks for the input
Street 750.

Old 04-28-2014 | 07:06 PM
lowend73
Tourer
Veteran: Navy

For what it's worth my first bike was a Fatbob. I say go for what speaks to you and apply all you learned. Take your time, start out riding on small routes and expand out. Does the dealership offer group rides for beginners? They take out no more than 10 with some experienced riders.

Also, get the Ride Like a Pro DVD. Well worth it.

Quick Reply: Completely new to the riding scene