General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too many miles for new?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Jack Sullivan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 181 Likes on 133 Posts

I bought a bike from a dealer in White Plains, NY and he had and employee ride it to the Boston area and take the train back. Bought a car and it was driven from a dealership in Boston from one in Vermont. both times they were the color combo I wanted and they were the closest.

53 miles? That's new and if I was the dealer I wouldn't give anything off based on 53 miles.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
You get supervised test rides?

I have never had a sales person go along on the ride from any dealer. With H-D I was always told to be back in about an hour. With the BWM dealer, be back in the morning.
Their insurance company policy mandates supervised test rides on new bikes at less than 60 mph. They showed it to me when I asked if we could take a touring bike on the interstate and get it up to 70 or so. Would be nice if they didn't do this, but oh well. It's probably the biggest complaint I could come up with Lone Wolf HD.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:45 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,256 Likes on 6,547 Posts

I took a 1997 C5 Corvette for a solo test ride. The salesman gave me a stink eye when I came back and the smell of rubber and clutch filled the parking lot.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:18 PM
jmalmsteen
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last bike I bought had zero miles on it when I bought it. The most critical time for this particular bike was the first twenty miles. I wouldn't have wanted demo rides during the break-in period. I wanted to know that I was the only one who rode it. Granted, this was not my Harley, this was a naked bike, and they don't let people demo those kinds of bikes.

I still wouldn't want someone test riding a bike that I was getting new from Harley. You can't assume that everyone knows how to ride and if they are test riding something, they might be beating the **** out of it since it's not their bike, like a rental car.

I went through the same thing with the Camaro I just got. It was "new" but it had 88 miles when I got it. They had to drive 50 miles to get it, so it had like 38 miles on it, but who knows how that car was driven during such a critical time, especially since it's a manual and you just have to hope the people putting on those miles knew how to drive it. I saw 2013 "new" cars that had 167 miles and 180 miles. These were also manuals and they didn't sound right at all (Scion FRS, a car someone would drive like an idiot when test driving a new one).

If you are putting down serious money for a new Harley, I would find one to test drive, and then get one with as close to no miles as possible since you are likely paying 15k+ to get the bike. If there are issues with the bike, they would take care of it.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:35 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jmalmsteen
I went through the same thing with the Camaro I just got. It was "new" but it had 88 miles when I got it. They had to drive 50 miles to get it, so it had like 38 miles on it, but who knows how that car was driven during such a critical time, especially since it's a manual and you just have to hope the people putting on those miles knew how to drive it.
I happened to have my cell phone out when they were putting the first 88 miles on your new Camaro. Here's the video: