General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJ Rider question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007 | 02:15 AM
tplyons
|
Tourer
Default NJ Rider question...

In NJ and Oregon, you can't pump your own gas. So do you just sit on the bike while the attendant pumps the gas into your $10,000 Harley? Do you get off? Do they let you pump it yourself into a bike?

I've yet to get gas in NJ but being that it's where I live, I'll have to one day. What's the protocol for this?

Old 03-28-2007 | 02:40 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Default RE: NJ Rider question...

ORIGINAL: tplyons

In NJ and Oregon, you can't pump your own gas. So do you just sit on the bike while the attendant pumps the gas into your $10,000 Harley? Do you get off? Do they let you pump it yourself into a bike?

I've yet to get gas in NJ but being that it's where I live, I'll have to one day. What's the protocol for this?
That would be a problem. I would ask the pump jocky if he rode a Harley. Yes he could pump.

No I would tell him to hand me the nozzel.

Old 03-28-2007 | 02:41 AM
tplyons
|
Tourer

That was my thought, but technically in NJ it's illegal to pump your own gas except for on military installations (someone explain that one)

Old 03-28-2007 | 03:10 AM
Mike NY
Road Master

I've ridden through NJ and stopped at a few Gas Stations. Each time the attendent just handed me the gas nozzle without ever saying a word. I think they realize if they spilled gas on your bike it wouldn't be pleasent. If not don't be afraid to say that you want to pour your own.

Mike
NY

Old 03-28-2007 | 03:12 AM
tplyons
|
Tourer

Mike, I'll be sure to give it a whirl then.

Old 03-28-2007 | 07:32 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior

I live in NJ and I always grab the pump handle or the attendent hands it to me. I have never seen anyone let an attendent pump their gas for them innor would anyone in NJ let them. You won't have a problem getting gas here.

Old 03-28-2007 | 08:10 AM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Heritage07

I live in NJ and I always grab the pump handle or the attendent hands it to me. I have never seen anyone let an attendent pump their gas for them innor would anyone in NJ let them. You won't have a problem getting gas here.
yep, what he said... to add that at "most" gas stations I go to (Wawa) they don't even bother coming over to the pump. By the time they could get there I've already ran the card and stated pumping anyway. They usually just shrug and go about their business.

Now, let me state how much I love NJ's law regarding this...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!1

I HATE having to get out of my car/truck and pump my own gas!

Old 03-28-2007 | 08:49 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior

Every gas station I stop at the attendant just hands me the pump nozzle. I have yet to get an attendant that insists on fueling my bike. It seems to be an unwritten rule that you let riders fill their own bikes, especially if it is a Harley. Only once has my bike been filled by the attendant. That was when the pump wasmalfunctioning and the guy knew how to manipulate it just so. Didn't spill any gas either. I believe that most attendants prefer that we do it ourselves in spite of the law.

Old 03-28-2007 | 09:16 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member

Ditto the above comments from my NJ bretheren. It would appear as thought he pump attendants have more common sense than our legislature!

Old 03-28-2007 | 11:30 AM
Yeti
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Phil

ORIGINAL: Heritage07

I live in NJ and I always grab the pump handle or the attendent hands it to me. I have never seen anyone let an attendent pump their gas for them in nor would anyone in NJ let them. You won't have a problem getting gas here.
yep, what he said... to add that at "most" gas stations I go to (Wawa) they don't even bother coming over to the pump. By the time they could get there I've already ran the card and stated pumping anyway. They usually just shrug and go about their business.

Now, let me state how much I love NJ's law regarding this...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!1

I HATE having to get out of my car/truck and pump my own gas!
I always pump my own gas in the bike, and the attendants have always drained the nozzle before handing it to me.

I also love not pumping the gas in my truck !!!!

Quick Reply: NJ Rider question...