General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJ Rider question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007 | 12:01 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Default RE: NJ Rider question...

don't know how it is now but in oregon it used to be if you had abike you could pump your own will find out this summer

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/D8D2DEA4DB5E4AACAEF9FFA01799AD01.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-28-2007 | 02:11 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

Born and raised in jersey. All my bikes, no matter where in Jersey or any other state, I always pump my own gas.

Just get off the bike, tell the guy what you want, he gives you the pump, and you do the rest.

Or, get off the bike, hit the button, pull the pump and fill it up. when the guy comes over pay him.

Not once, not ever, has there ever been an issue.

Old 03-28-2007 | 03:35 PM
Shibby
Cruiser

Just like everyone else has already stated I've never had an attendant try to pump the gas for me. Just be careful when pumping to not lock the lever. My friend did that once and spilt gas all over cuz she couldnt get it unlocked.

Old 03-28-2007 | 03:57 PM
Raindog1217
Cruiser

I always go to the Wawa by me on Rt. 34 and not only do they hand me the nozzle, but they bring over a nice soft cloth when they take the nozzle back from my just in case there are any drips. Other places I've gassed up do the whole handing me the nozzle thing but no one else has the soft, clean cloth.

Old 03-28-2007 | 03:58 PM
tplyons
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Shibby

Just like everyone else has already stated I've never had an attendant try to pump the gas for me. Just be careful when pumping to not lock the lever. My friend did that once and spilt gas all over cuz she couldnt get it unlocked.
I go to college out of state. First time I went to get gas, I had to find someone from Pennsylvania to come with me and teach me how to pump my own gas. Now, I prefer to pump my own.

So the question, sit on the bike or get off?

Old 03-28-2007 | 04:26 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior

I will not sit while getting gas. I always get off.

Old 03-28-2007 | 05:56 PM
Shibby
Cruiser

More often than not I sit on the bike, although I always hear reasons why you should get off to fuel...

Old 03-28-2007 | 06:09 PM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

In Oregon the motorcyclists are allowed to pump their own gas, but you have to wait for the attendant to hand you the nossle and give it back to the attendant to insert it back into the pump when you are finished dispensing the gas.

REGULATION OF GASOLINE DISPENSING
Statute: ORS 480.330
Title: Operation of gasoline dispensing device by public prohibited; aviation fuel exception.
Text: An owner, operator or employee of a filling station, service station, garage or other dispensary where Class 1 flammable liquids, except aviation fuels, are dispensed at retail may not permit any person other than the owner, operator or employee to use or manipulate any pump, hose, pipe or other device for dispensing the liquids into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle or other retail container.
On June 11, 2001, Oregon motorcyclists won the right to pump their own gas. Governor John Kitzhaber signed House Bill 3885 into law, which gives motorcyclists the choice of fueling their own bikes. Oregon and New Jersey are the only two states which prohibit "Self-Serve" gas pumps, and now motorcycles will be the only class of vehicle allowed to actually dispense fuel into their own tanks in Oregon, effective January 1, 2002.
HB3885 passed with very few opposed in both the House and Senate, and most lawmakers agreed with BikePAC and Oregon's motorcyclists that the special fueling requirements of various bikes made the rider the expert at fuel dispensing. This bill also removes a liability for gas station owners who permitted the common sense practice of allowing bikers to fuel their own.
REGULATION OF GASOLINE DISPENSING
Statute: ORS 480.349
Title: Use of gasoline dispensing device by motorcycle operator
(1) As used in this section, "motorcycle" has the meaning given that term in ORS 801.365.
(2) Notwithstanding ORS 480.330 and 480.340:
(a) Upon the request of an operator of a motorcycle, the owner, operator or employee of a filling station, service station, garage or other dispensary where Class 1 flammable liquids are dispensed at retail shall set the fuel dispensing device and hand the discharge nozzle to the operator of the motorcycle.
(b) An operator of a motorcycle who is handed a discharge nozzle under paragraph (a) of this subsection:
(A) May dispense Class 1 flammable liquids into the operator's motorcycle.
(B) Shall, after dispensing the liquids, return the discharge nozzle to the owner, operator or employee.
(3) The owner, operator or employee who is handed the discharge nozzle shall return the nozzle to the pump or take any other actions necessary to ensure safe completion of the fueling operation.
The reality is that while most gas station attendants hand the nozzle to you, they nearly always allow you to put the nozzle back in the pump yourself. The actual practice at the pump is not quite as restrictive as the word of the law.

Old 03-28-2007 | 06:15 PM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: tplyons

In NJ and Oregon, you can't pump your own gas. So do you just sit on the bike while the attendant pumps the gas into your $10,000 Harley? Do you get off? Do they let you pump it yourself into a bike?

I've yet to get gas in NJ but being that it's where I live, I'll have to one day. What's the protocol for this?

What kind of f***ed up communist world do we live in, when the government considers the average citizen too damn stupid to pump his own mof'ing gas??????

Old 03-28-2007 | 11:41 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Phil

I will not sit while getting gas. I always get off.
I usually sit on my bike so I can keep it level and get all the gas I can into the tank. But I understand why this might not be the wisest thing to do. Fuel spill....hot pipes....gas in crotch....great *****'O fire! Yeah.... think I'll step off from now on.

Quick Reply: NJ Rider question...