General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:43 AM
Punkpogoer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Gas

Well yesturday here in Washington state was a great day in a couple weeks of straight rain so of coarse I went riding with a friend after work. About 30 minutes in I stopped for gas(had a 1/4 tank). Filled up and hit the road, quarter mile down the raod and mike bike is missing and back firing. Manage to make it about a mile down the road to another gas station and it finally dies. Unfortunately I have no tools on me but a guy getting gas has a wrench that will fit my spark plugs to check for spark(spark is fine). Well we end up calling my riding partners buddy(who is the service manager at the local Harley dealer) who bring his truck up and we load it up. He took the bike to work this morning to check it out and find that 1/3 of my gas tank is filled with water. Couple hundred bucks later and I'm back on the road, but this is not covered by warranty so now I have to go after the gas station to get my money back(we'll see how that goes).

Old 03-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bad Gas

Good Luck,I would guess that the station will try to fight you on it, but you never know, maybe you'll get a nice guy. Take your bill from Harley (yeah,I know that was obvious), but if it turns out that he deosn't want to pay, then tell him that the service manager and mechanic are willing to stand behind you. Do you still have your receipt for the gas?

Old 03-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Punkpogoer
Tourer

Luckily I paid with a debit card so I have the transaction number. I have the gas and the backing of the harley shop.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:59 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If he refuses, small claims court might be the way to go.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:17 AM
fatboy44
Outstanding HDF Member

Actually I doubt you will be the only one to complain about the bad gas. I am sure everyone who got the gas will be calling in as well. You should be in good shape with the dealers receipt and your debit card info. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Could you share with us where you bought the gas? I ride in Western Washington and would like to avoid a similar situation.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Was it a high tier station or one of those mom and pop places like Moe's quick fill?

Old 03-28-2007, 10:41 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

To elaborate on my original post. If you go to the owner and say: Here's my receipt of when I bought my gas. I have a friend who will gladly go to small claims court and testify how far from here I was when he towed me in. He will also testify as to what time and day it was. He will also testify as to the cause of the problem. Do you want to pay me now or have me go file in small claims court and require you to take off from work and appear in front of a judge?

I really think with the cards stacked that strongly against a normal person they would settle the matter.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,477 Likes on 4,375 Posts

Yeah, youshouldn't be alone in this... ther's virtually no vehicle that can tolerate one-third water or anything close to that. One-third... wow!![:-] For good orders sake, you oughta found out which jobber and which refinery it came from.
ORIGINAL: fatboy44

Actually I doubt you will be the only one to complain about the bad gas. I am sure everyone who got the gas will be calling in as well. You should be in good shape with the dealers receipt and your debit card info. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:41 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might want to check the law in your state. Some limit his liability to the cost of the gas.....

Quick Reply: Bad Gas