General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bell on the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:20 PM
okieblue62
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bell on the bike?

Somebody explain the meaning of hanging a bell on the bike. A buddy of mine asked me if I had a bell on my bike yet. When I told him no, he said he would give me one and that it was better to have one given to you then buy one yourself.

What does it all mean?

Old 03-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bell on the bike?

It means your buddy is gullible.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:33 PM
CroftonDamico
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ride Bell: There are many stories about the Ride Bell.

Here's one: Have you noticed that small bell on some people's bikes and wondered why it was there? It's more than just decoration. It has a specific function. As we all know, life has many mysteries that have no apparent solutions. One of these is Evil Road Spirits. They are the little gremlins that live on your bike. They love to ride. They're also responsible for most of your bike's problems. Sometimes your turn signal refuses to work, or the battery goes dead, the clutch needs adjustment, or any of several hundred other things go wrong. These problems are caused by Evil Road Spirits. Road Spirits can't live in the presence of a bell.

They get trapped in the hollow of the bell. Among other things, their hearing is extremely sensitive. The constant ringing and confined space of the bell drives them crazy. They lose their grip and eventually fall to the roadway. (Have you ever wondered how potholes are formed?) The bell has served its purpose. If your bell was given to you, its power is greatly increased, and you know that somewhere you have a special friend helping to look after you.

So, if you have a friend that doesn't have a bell, why not be the person to give them one? It's a nice feeling for the recipient to know you personally cared. The bell, plus a good preventive maintenance program by the bike's owner, will help eliminate the Evil Road Spirits.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:34 PM
hogginit
Road Captain

Supposedly, the bell is hung on the bike, close to the road, to ward off thr road gremlins including potholes and other bad stuff. Also someone that cares for you is to purchase it for you. Great selling gimmick! (I have one)

Old 03-27-2007, 11:35 PM
CroftonDamico
Cruiser

Now the Guardian Bell

Legend has it that Evil Road Spirits have been latching themselves on to motorcycles for as long as there have been bikes on the road. These Evil Road Spirits are responsible for mechanical problems and bad luck along a journey.

Legend goes on to say that by attaching a small bell onto your bike, the Evil Road Spirits will become trapped inside the bell where the constant ringing drives them insane, making them lose their grip until they fall to the ground. (Ever wonder where potholes come from?)

Legend also has it that the mystery of the Guardianâ„¢ Bell carries twice as much power when it is purchased by a friend or loved one and given as a gift.

Show someone how much you care. Offer them defense against the Evil Road Spirits! Give a Guardianâ„¢ Bell and share the Legend of Good Luck it offers to a motorcycle and its rider!

Old 03-27-2007, 11:36 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have 2 and no complaints yet. They have done their job...

Old 03-27-2007, 11:37 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They also have an added benefit of keeping elephants away.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:43 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are for somebody to get rich by selling them to you.[8D]

Old 03-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Chief279
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: okieblue62

Somebody explain the meaning of hanging a bell on the bike. A buddy of mine asked me if I had a bell on my bike yet. When I told him no, he said he would give me one and that it was better to have one given to you then buy one yourself.

What does it all mean?
It means your buddy has a bell fetish. If your bike needed a bell it would be available in the HD P&A catalog in chrome, wrinkle black, with skulls, with flames, with skulls and flames, adorned with"made in the usa", bar and shield, patriot police and firemenversions, and 57 different mounting hardware kits.

I don't need no friggin bell on my bike...

Old 03-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Techdvr13
Stage III

The one I had about drove me crazy with the tinkling. Since it was given to me and being superstitious I carry it in my jacket pocket now.

Quick Reply: Bell on the bike?