General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Court for helmet ticket today...UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:26 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Court for helmet ticket today...

ORIGINAL: The Punisher

This thread has gotten way of course. An officer doesn't need Probable Cause to stop a vehicle, only Reasonable Articulable Suspicion that a crime has been, is occurring or is about to occur. And violations of the traffic laws (including equipment violations)in most states are misdemeanor crimes.
Damm P... the LEOs that I know can't evensay Reasonable Articulable Suspicion, let alonespell it... No wonder you're a celebrity.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RMBob - Don't get your knickers in a knot. This is just a bunch of folks sitting around their PCs opinionating on a realitively minor issue w/ sketchy information. Relax a bit...please.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:05 AM
brillowolf
Cruiser

Even though this thread has gotten off topic, I think it's safe to assume that the main complaint of most"folks sitting around their PCs, is that police are more into the business of "revenue generation"lately rather than theresworn duty to protect and serve.Personally, I don'tthink that applies to the whole "protecting me from myself" mentality. Kinda big brotherish, don't ya think?

Old 03-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So perhapsLEOs should go and attend to some of those more important (at least to the average biker) things instead of hassling someone who has made his own decision about his own safety?

Old 03-28-2007, 11:13 AM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Court for helmet ticket today...UPDATE

Sorry about your bad luck. Maybe the judge will be in a decent mood

Old 03-28-2007, 11:18 AM
bradvols
Cruiser

Well to late to help now but when I got a non-DOT helmet ticket it was also from a motor-cop. As he walked away from me I noticed that his helmet did not have a DOT sticker, so I got in my saddlebag grabbed handy-dandy Digital camera and asked to take his picture. I brought that picture to court, defense of If the LEO officers can't tell a DOT helmet and they are trained to how can I the consumer be expected too. Got mine dismissed and I think the county got new helmets (or at least a bunch of DOT stickers)

Old 03-28-2007, 11:20 AM
brillowolf
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: bradvols

Well to late to help now but when I got a non-DOT helmet ticket it was also from a motor-cop. Ashe walked away from me I noticed that his helmet did not have a DOT sticker, show I got in my saddlebag grabbed handy-dandy Digital camera and asked to take his picture. I brought that picture to court defense of If the LEO officers can't tell a DOT helmet and they are trained to how can I the consumer be expected too. Got mine dismissed and I think the county got new helmets (or at least a bunch of DOT stickers)
Sweet

Old 03-28-2007, 11:21 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some of you might recall reading a post I made a month or so back about when I was a LEO (years ago) and in the late 50's saw a biker that had slid head first into the curb of a street and was beyond dead.

Well, I quite being a LEO before helmets became the law but, if I were still a LEO andafter that experience I had in the 50's, you canbelieve your asswould have been mine if I caught you without a dot helmet.

Makes me wonder. If the cop was really on his case could the cop have confiscated the non dot helmet or atleast refused to allow the operator to proceed with it andhave caused the operator a REAL problem.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:28 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,103 Likes on 355 Posts

ORIGINAL: RMBob

It's amazing to hear some of your replies to a $117 helmet ticket. For all of you that want to slam the LEO and call him an azz for giving the ticket maybe you should ask LEO's not to do other parts of thier job too. When a LEO comes to your house because a family member is having a medical emergency, you could tell him not to do his job. When your wife breaks down on her own in the middle of nowhere, tell the LEO to drive right by and not render aid. When your house has been burglarized tell him to not investigate the crime.

Who knows what other things the LEO did that day to help people and all you can do is slam him for a helmet ticket. The easy way to avoid a non DOT helmet ticket is to wear a DOThelmet. If you don't want to wear a DOT helmet because you want to protest the law, then don't cry when you get caught. Pay the fine and move on. Although I suspect there was no radical protest involved here, as most people who wear non-DOT helmets are not protesting, but just trying to look cool.

For those of you telling him to lie in court to get out of the ticket, would you tell your own kids to lie to get out of something they did? If your going to lie about a $117 ticket what else are you going to lie about, including things you say on this board.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with Anubisss riding with a non-DOT helmet. It's his God given right to protest the system if thats what he wants to do. Just don't cry when you get caught.
that about hits the nail on the head, good one RMBob

Old 03-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this whole thing sounds phony as a $3.00 bill, all because somebody wanted to play rebel without a cause and Not wear a approved helmet..all the lost time and now money for bail, and somebody said your lawyer should do it for you. Are lawyers free in California? No way would this have gone this far for me, I fought the helmet law in Iowa when it was here, we beat it, we can ride helmet free if we choose..but not in California I guess, so whats wrong with being law abiding and wearing a Dot approved half helmet or shorty? nothing, but then if he would have done as he should we wouldn't have all this drama on here would we.
I hope you win in court, must really be important to you. And if you do win, what then?? another 3 pages of how I fought the man and won?

Quick Reply: Court for helmet ticket today...UPDATE