General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer ruined my paint!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:47 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dealer ruined my paint!!!!!

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

ORIGINAL: tireater

If it dosen't work out for you - powdercoat fender. Then make up a protest sign or several if you have friends and protest dealership on public sidewalk. I can not overstate how effective this is. Took 2 bums (the guys with signs by the freeway) over to a car dealer to protest a prepayment penality. SIGNS - One side said "just say no" - the other said "get your promises in writing". Sat a block away with a cel. phone and phone book. They were there 10 min. and they were offered $100 and a ride to their favorite bar. That made them walk prouder. They turned the sprinklers on them and I called the water police "water is flooding the street", city police, CHP, news paper and radio news. Add 100 lookyloos. It looked like a riot and cost them many sales. Funny thing was - at the start - I told the head salesman what was up - he was telling a lady there was no prepaymrent penality. (cost me $800 extra to pay off loan after a year) Bums = $50 / Signs = $10 / Effect = PRICELESS !!!
A little tip on the prepayment penalty situation. For those lenders which do not allow for a prepayment of a loan without the borrower having incurred a penalty, there is generally a work around. Here's what you do.

1. Don't make your next scheduled payment. That's right. Skip the next payment.

2. You will receive an 'automated letter' stating that your account is 30 days in arrears and thereby the account must be brought current or paid in full within a specific period of time; typically prior to the next 30 day payment cycle.

3. With 'demand letter in hand', take your pay off check to the bank and tell them that you are adhering to their demand for payment in full as a result of your being in arrears (only 30 days mind you; no harm to credit report).

4. In spite of their claiming no prepayment penalties, they will be obligated to take your pay off amount (sans any penalties); as it will be in compliance with their automated demand letter's instructions.

I had a buddy of mine wanting to pay off a rather sizeable commercial real estate loan early and the lender told him no go without incurring a substantial prepayment penalty. He let it go 30 days in arrears, received their 'demand for payment in full' automated letter, and boom; they were screwed by their own policy.
A quick call to the legal dept. -- a long pause -- and then, "oops." I love it.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:50 PM
MyClassic09
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok showed the manager the problem.....so now waitin for the owner to get back in town from a weekend event so should know somethin next week and since they would order a fender depending on what color their doing for the week in might take 4-6 weeks to get...but as long as I get it!!

I'll update once it know some more maybe on Tuesday

Old 03-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Document everything including pictures.......

"Mother Harley" does not like bad dealerships...... especially since you have been nice about the whole thing. Just document everything....all phone calls, all contacts, etc....

Just in case...

Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dynabob07

Havent got to yell at the dealer yet wanted to see what anyone thinks I should say and do...

I got a 2007 street bob last month and all in the purchase was a passenger seat, backrest etc...they installed it....

I took the seat off to clean it today and noticed the dealer didnt put the protective foam pads under the seat to keep from rubbing like their was for the solo seat....
so now their is 8 etched holes in my rear fender from staples from the pillon.....

let me know what you all think.....
Straight from the HD Catalog...

Fits '06-later Dyna models. FXD and FXDB models require
separate purchase of Seat Bumper Kit P/N 51653-06
Passenger Footpegs, and Passenger Footpeg Mounting Kit
P/N 50210-06.

Enough said.
If the purchase of the Bumper Kit is REQUIRED, it should also follow that its use would be REQUIRED.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16850/1EE4CABBF9234CB1B8C5D80B10229AC9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Here, this link may help if they still hassle you over fixing it.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US

Old 03-30-2007, 04:18 PM
tireater
Banned

Thanks for the pre-payment tip - THAT IS A REALLY GOOD ONE !
I was also upset that I had a 12% truck loan -I paid 45% int. on first payment - 35% int. after a year...
I guess by the last year - when most people pay off the loan - they would already have all the interest...
WhenI gave them extra money with my payment - they put it into an act. until there was enought to make a payment...I only got 60% credit for extra cash I gave them - and I asked about all of this whenI bought the truck...TOTAL RIPOFF !!!
I flipped it to a 12% credit card and never dealer financed again...

Old 04-03-2007, 01:30 PM
MyClassic09
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dealer ruined my paint!!!!! Updated

Looks like they are going to fix my bike......hasnt been totally confirmed....

Old 04-03-2007, 02:09 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

ORIGINAL: tireater

If it dosen't work out for you - powdercoat fender. Then make up a protest sign or several if you have friends and protest dealership on public sidewalk. I can not overstate how effective this is. Took 2 bums (the guyswith signs by the freeway) over to a car dealer to protest a prepayment penality. SIGNS - One side said "just say no" - the other said "get your promises in writing". Sat a block away with a cel. phone and phone book. They were there 10 min. and they were offered $100 and a ride to their favorite bar. That made them walk prouder. They turned the sprinklers on them and I called the water police "water is flooding the street", city police, CHP, news paper and radio news. Add 100 lookyloos. It looked like a riot and cost them many sales. Funny thing was-at the start - I told the head salesman what was up - he was telling a lady there was no prepaymrent penality. (cost me $800 extra to pay off loan after a year) Bums = $50 / Signs = $10 / Effect = PRICELESS !!!
A little tip on the prepayment penalty situation. For those lenders which do not allow for a prepayment of a loan without the borrower having incurred a penalty, there is generally a work around. Here's what you do.

1. Don't make your next scheduled payment. That's right. Skip the next payment.

2. You will receive an 'automated letter' stating that your account is 30 days in arrears and thereby the account must be brought current or paid in full within a specific period of time; typically prior to the next 30 day payment cycle.

3. With 'demand letter in hand', take your pay off check to the bank and tell them that you are adhering to their demand for payment in full as a result of your being in arrears (only 30 days mind you; no harm to credit report).

4. In spite of their claiming no prepayment penalties, they will be obligated to take your pay off amount (sans any penalties);as it will be in compliance with their automated demand letter's instructions.

I had a buddy of mine wanting to pay off a rather sizeable commercial real estate loan early and the lender told him no go without incurring a substantial prepayment penalty. He let it go 30 days in arrears, received their 'demand for payment in full' automated letter, and boom; they were screwed by their own policy.
i wouldn't do that. 30 days is 30 days and DOES show up on yoru credit report. It will show up as 1-30 as in 1 30 day late.In fact many companies will di it after 20 days or so knowing that it will take you along time to get it off if you notice at all.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 624 Posts

When my stealer installed my Thunderheader (whole nuther story - nuther thread) they dinged the fragile ceramic coating in several places near the flange and gasket at the heads. I decided I wanted to have the pipes taped anyway and was goign to do it as soon as I got back from Bike Week.

I htought about it and knowing I was taking the bike in for the 1000 mile service anyway (dealer only charges for fluids if you purchased there) so very nicely I showed up with a roll of black header tape and osme SS hoseclamps and politely asked the service manager if they could take off the Thunderheader, wrap the pipes, and re-installt he TH while the bike was there for the 100o mile service. He balked, shuffled his feeta nd then had the nerve to say, "Why didn't you get the heat shields?" I didn't argue but the service department at this stealership sucks.

New bike sales are off and the service department is a profit center for the place, not a relationship building, service providing place that it could/should be.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:34 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ride the bike to the dealer - show him the work order and the staple marks..if they're a decent dealership they'll make it right.