General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washed my bike with gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:51 PM
police stroker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Washed my bike with gas

Yeah been their done that welcome to the club.... On another note get it real cleaned up and apply some new coats of wax since you just stripped it all off. Thank god for clear coat.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:20 AM
BoneCrusher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I hear ya. I always carry a spare bandana in my back pocket just in case I spill a little also comes in handy when needing to clean off my glasses.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:48 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Not me........I have NEVER had one of those pump shut off's that didn't work spray Marathon 91 octane all over my nice wax job and hot engine & exhaust pipes right in front of a Harley Dealer while the guys in the station were rolling on the floor. NEVER......[]

Old 03-27-2007, 02:50 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Yep, did that on my Lowrider. It was at an Arco-AM/PM station, and all the ones here in Phoenix have those accordian thing on the nozzle. Well on a Dyna it's not deep enough to push the nozzle in far enough to get it to pump (if the accordian thing isn't fully retracted, no gas will pump.) So I was holding it by hand. Ok until the end, trying to top it off, the nozzle slipped and the gas hit the bung and sprayed all over everything, including me, my jacket, gloves, and of course the vivid black tank! I was not happy as you can imagine (wife wasn't helping with the chuckles in the background, almost sprayed her with the nozzle just to shut her butt up!) Went home, took all the armor out of my jacket, washed the bike. The gas smell stayed in my jacket for about 4 washings (it was a textile jacket obviously!) Gloves never really were the same afterwards....

Old 03-27-2007, 04:05 AM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '91 FXRS doesn't have the small hole under the gas cap. Big hole all the way. Makes it very easy to gas-up when the hole is 3-times as big as the nozzle. Wish there was a way to cut a bigger hole in the restrictor plate on the newer bikeswithout filling the gas tank with metal shavings.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:07 AM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I've done the same thing a couple of times, and it SUCKS but like someone else said it is always after a detail job which really adds insult to injury. Lately I have been extremely careful when it gets to a certain point I literally let it trickle in......takes abouttwo minutes for that last half gallon but its worth it not to take the chance ofputting any swirlys in the clear coat wiping it off.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Bigfoot
Tourer

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

I did the same thing on my very first fill up with my new 2006 RKClassic. Gas every freaking where when the pump pressure kicked up. I was even looking in the tank topping it off so got it all over my helmet, glasses and face. Fortunatly I was close to home.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:34 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior

I'm a gas pumping idiot and splash at least a little on my tank EVERY time, never to that extent, but I think it's only a matter of time for me. I suck.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:48 PM
RageAndMachine
Road Master

Yeah, well consider yourself lucky. You could have ended up like this dude.....check this 06 Road King out.

http://www.salvage-vehicles.com/gb.asp?st=M0788

Old 03-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Katie
Elite HDF Member

That would seriously bite.. but then, better you did it than an attendant! Blood & gas don't mix well...

Guy I 'know' sells those little gas-cap hangers, if anyone wants, I will ask him for his site/info??

Quick Reply: Washed my bike with gas