General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MANDATORY Full Face Helmet!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:00 PM
bradvols
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Numbers

For the army
FY 2007 there have been 8 Class A accidents for POV motorcycle and ATVs resulting in 5 deaths
1. Ninja (unspecified CC) 31 years old Speed
2. Ninja 636 22 years old No helmet speed
3 HD 49 years old Car pulled in front of
4 TL1000 36 years old car pulled in front of
5. R6 28 years old Speed
in these 5 accidents we had a SGT(E-5), SPC(E-4), 1sg (E-8), W2, and one that rank wasn't specified.
in 2006 Class A accidents
Motorcycle and ATV 134 accidents /48 fatalities
Car 336 accidents/122 fatalities
Seems to me the safety office is barking up the wrong tree all the safety gear we are required to waer and still have the pulled out in front of (didn't see him) accidents. Yet cars/trucks account for damn near triple the number of accidents. Yet there are no required ASF cards required to be carried or silly *** I ride a motorcycle counseling statments for cage drivers. I also did not look at every report for 2006 but would bet the trend of sport bike and high speed would continue.
The U.K. full face rule may be the result of a status of forces agreement change, I have no idea about U.K. helmet laws if they are allowed to wear half-helmets or not, or more than likely a punishment of the whole motorcycle community.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:23 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Some Numbers

Personally, I don't care what any of you think of me....It's my life, and I will live it my way.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:14 PM
defenderp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, assuming you really are an nco, doyouconsider it okay to choose which standards or regs to follow?Do you give your troops the sameoption when you tell them to do something? Are they cleared to ignore comand directives as they see fit also? Ibet not...

You mightkeep all that, "been to combat twice", "I'm a man", "not willing to let my entire life be regulated" stuff for impressing chicks in a bar or something...

[blockquote][/blockquote]

As an NCO, I regularly have to step outside the "book" to get the job done. If my combat service and age and maturity account for nothing....well, it's time for me to move on. I've never been an a$$ kisser or a by the book leader, and never will be. Fact is...I don't need the military to hold my hand, and protect me from myself. The rules are asinine, and are knee jerk reactions.....It's my job to weed through all the BS and get the job done.....I'll let the officers worry about the reg's., I'll worry about the end-product. I know when to "ask" the lieutenant to go on a coffee break, so that we can "get 'er dun"
Right on Chief!

Old 03-28-2007, 10:10 PM
shortfatboy
Banned

speaking of govt. control on military, when my soninlaw was living near Ft. Hood, TX., he wasn't allowed on hwy 190, the main artery through the area!!! toodangerous, although they sent him to Iraq twice

Old 03-29-2007, 12:08 AM
Chief279
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: traveler

Personally, I don't care what any of you think of me....It's my life, and I will live it my way.
Not if you worked for me hoss...

Old 03-29-2007, 12:17 AM
Chief279
Intermediate

[quote]ORIGINAL: defenderp

Right on Chief!

Hey, I appreciate that you put the defensor fortis flash onyour avatar. My beret with that flash is at the top center of the bookcase in my office and one of my most prized momentos of my career. Anyway, I know life as a 3P is challenging now days but thanks for what you do!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:40 AM
hambone
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: MANDATORY Full Face Helmet!!!

Been that way for Marines in the states for as long as I can remember. Full face helmet and reflective vest at ALL times, not just on base. I typed up more than a few page 11 entries for Marines in my command after getting caught either by our Command Sgt Major or someone else off base for not following regs.

You signed the contract, they own your a$$. Hate to be so blunt to ya, but thems the rules. You should know that.

Rick

Old 03-29-2007, 01:59 AM
Chief279
Intermediate

rebel without a clue...

Old 03-29-2007, 02:22 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: MANDATORY Full Face Helmet!!!

ORIGINAL: OldBoldPilot

ORIGINAL: ChiefGator

ORIGINAL: OldBoldPilot

Or maybe it's just the normal, age-old jarhead reaction to anything a swabbie says, I dunno.
Grumpy Old Jarhead explains everything...

Like I said before, I do not know that Petty Officer, I only hope that he is not one of those that are giving lip service to sound good but backs down when it is time to put up or shut up. I have to have faith in my fellow Sailors that he will do his duty when called upon, as he may well already have done.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24514/42BE523F4BF4477BBEB6E4E96523E1F3.jpg[/IMG]
I hear ya and I agree. I don't know why, but those speeches about how "I'm protecting your freedom" always rub me the wrong way. Experience tells me that it's usually the support pukes (and I'm not saying the sailor in question is one--and anyway, we need them too) who make 'em. The general rule is you only get to make that speech if you've been in harm's way...and those who have been in harm's way never make 'em. As witness your own case, where you never said a word about what you were doing until I provoked you.

I guess I'll just leave it there--after all, this is a Harley board, not a "Who's the Biggest Patriot Here" board. If ever you find yourself in SoCal let me know and I'll buy you a cold one and trade some stories.
Ive spent 12 months of my life in the middle east. . I am a Sonar technician, I hunt submarines for a living. I may not pound sand but I do what the Navy needs me to do. Everyone is entitled to thier opinion, and as such I stated mine. I know what I have and have not done and that is good enough for me. I just feel very strongly about what I do and it bothers me to a great extent when someone makes coments like I quoted. As such I felt the need to defend what I do and that is the way I did it.

Chris

Old 03-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Chief279

rebel without a clue...
Stop being a Keyboard Commando. It is not getting us anywhere in this conversation. If you really are a chief in the AF you sould know that there are always going to be people who go thier own way no matter what you say or do....provoking a junior NCO into a online confrontation is kinda lame, just be the bigger man and let it go.

BRADVOLS- Dude, Thank You for digging up that information. Interesting to say the least.

Quick Reply: MANDATORY Full Face Helmet!!!