General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MANDATORY Full Face Helmet!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:15 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: MANDATORY Full Face Helmet!!!

Well, I guess that's a chance i'm willing to take then. I put up with alot of $hit, been to combat twice, have done more than the majority of everybody else in the country to help keep her strong....I've earned the right to ride my damn motorcycle with a half lid. Like it or not, I'm a man, not a child.

I will just ignore the regulation.

Joe
[&:]

Old 03-26-2007, 07:17 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Arizona

They have a different standard from DOT i guess?
D.O.T. doesn't mean much, good helmets will also be SNELL approved. About anything will pass lax dot requirements, or just go on line and buy a D.O.T. sticker for a buck.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Rules are....as per AFI 91-207 are as follows.

14. Requirements for motorcycle, motor scooter, and moped operations on Air Force installations and for
operation by military personnel off Air Force installations include the following:
• Only operators may ride mopeds--no passengers.
• Headlights must be on unless prohibited by the Status of Forces Agreement or local laws.
• Vehicle must have rear-view mirrors.
• Operator and any passenger must wear a protective helmet. Note: Helmets must meet, as a minimum,
Department of Transportation (DoT) standards and be properly worn and fastened.
Helmets may also meet other standards such as the Snell Memorial
Foundation or the American National Standards Institute. If stationed overseas, personnel may use
host-nation certified, equivalent helmets.
• To increase visibility of riders, they are encouraged to affix reflective material to their helmets.
• Operator and any passenger must wear impact resistant goggles or a full-face shield on their helmet.
EXCEPTION: Goggles or a full-face shield are not required for the operator if the motorcycle
is equipped with a windshield that is equal in height to or above the top of the helmet of the
properly upright-seated operator.
• Brightly colored or contrasting vest or jacket as an outer upper garment during the day and reflective
during the night. Outer upper garment will be clearly visible and not covered.
• Long sleeved shirts or jackets, full-fingered motorcycle gloves or mittens, and long trousers.
• Sturdy footwear. Leather boots or over-the ankle shoes are strongly encouraged.

Ofcoarse your commander can add to these but for the sake of argument lets just go by the regs.

You DO NOT have to wear a full face.
You DO NOT have to wear reflective material except after dark.

I go on and off a AMC's HQ atleast 2 times a day. I don't wear a fullface or reflective gear. Who is the authority on WHAT is brightly contrasting? Chrome contrast's my black jacket damn good. And is also contrast's against my flames on my bike.

so there you have it. The Airforce is basically a pack of functioning retards when it comes to safety, Knee Jerk is the best way to describe the way they do things.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:35 PM
bradvols
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They started this at Ft Riley, KS before I left there also. When we left for Iraq all was cool beanies (in a non-helmet state mind you) refelctive sash. We get back it is full road crew reflective vest, helmet inspections etc. Basically it was the most anti-motorcycle post I have served on. This was after all motorcyclst or those thinkng of buying one were forced to see a chaplin due to our high risk beahvior. Of course my anger was compounded when I went on the run for the wall and saw a few of the Generals riding around with no helmet, gloves, ANSI aprroved eyewear, etc.
The regulation is actually pretty simple and easy to live with, it is the knee jerk idiots in the safety offices that have the commanders ear that cause all the problems. The service has become so entranced with these safety ***** that I am glad I only have a couple of years till retirement.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:37 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Okay, that was the reg's as I remembered them, at least 7 months ago when I left Minot behind, and came here to Osan....

I guess I'm just not willing to let my entire life be regulated. If that makes me a crappy NCO, then I guess I'll have to learn to live with that label.

Joe
[&:]

Old 03-26-2007, 07:44 PM
markdt
Road Captain

Do they pay for your medical ?. If they do, you really don't have a choice in the matter. Mark...

Old 03-26-2007, 08:00 PM
bradvols
Cruiser

Well Mr. I didn't comprenhend the thread but anted to throw a smartarsed comment in. He wasn't complaining about wearing a helmet it was about someone over stepping the bounds of the regulation. So no his Air Force base doesn't pay his medical. Further since our medical is composed of tax dollars and we all pay taxes (unless in a combat zone) then is just goes that we pay our own medical thank you very much.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:07 PM
streetboob
Road Warrior

This requirement can vary from base to base. I just left Norfolk,VA and we were required to wear any DOT helmet, pants, long sleeve shirt or jacket that is either light colored or reflective (or a reflective vest over a long sleeve shirt), gloves and eye protection to get on base. Yes, we were supposed to wear the same garb off base, but it was not enforced. Most of us wore that anyway minus the light colors. The lightest colors I have are black!

Old 03-26-2007, 08:24 PM
markdt
Road Captain

It wasn't a smartassed comment but rather a question. Here in Canada our health coverage is paid by our tax dollars , it's free for everyone. As a cosequence we all have to wear helmets . Most local police will use thier own judgement on dot enforcement. Just like your base comanders it seems. If you scream by wearing a beanie they will stop you. If you cruise by in a sedate manner they probably won't. Mark...

Old 03-26-2007, 08:28 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[sm=violin.gif]

Quick Reply: MANDATORY Full Face Helmet!!!