General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MANDATORY Full Face Helmet!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:41 PM
roadgeek
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MANDATORY Full Face Helmet!!!

Two weekends ago I tried to go on to Fort Stewart, Ga - Home of the 3rd Infantry Division. They required.

Helmet
Gloves
Long Sleeves
Reflective banner from shoulder to waist (if couldn't be side to side)
Motorcycle saftey card - issued by the post.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:52 PM
BMdeckie
Cruiser

My unit is starting to really look at motorcycle wear. In the past 2 years we have had 4 wrecks at my unit, for a Coast Guard station that is a lot. The first resulted in a death, the second a shattered knee, the third a broken collar bone, and the fourth (me) a broken pelvis. The CG is broken into districts and my district has had some of the most motorcycle related deaths and injuries.

I see both sides of the forum here, I am a grown man and should be able to decide if I want to wear a helmet. However, if I die in a wreck and do not have a helmet on my family wont see the money from the "widow's lottery" excuse the term.

Then again with all the money that has been dumped into training me, my pay, etc. etc. etc. Right now they are one guy down from doing the job we do down here.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 PM
rnothog
Tourer
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I recall having to wear a full face helmet at 29 Palms in 1980, when I bought thelast bike of my youth, a Yamaha,before being interrupted by family life. As a side note, a friend wanted me to buy a Sportster that time...we never got to ride together because he was always "deadlined". So glad those days are long over!

One of the CG's gave riders permission to wear a conservative leather jacket over the uniform while riding to or from work on base. Then we had a change of command, and a change of policy. No leather, no more. Riding to work inutilitieswithwooley pully or field jacket made for really cold start to the day that winter...don't even want to think about sweats on PT days (MWF). I'd arrive and have to thaw out. But that new CG was right, and that's what makes Marines the toughyoung bunchthat they are - exposure to the extremes.

The bucket was a Bell, THE brand then, and it was hotter than hell come summer, but so was my CVC helmet and everything else there.

I recognize that folks want the right to make their own decisions, but you are in an important (to the rest of us) occupation, and your commanders figure that we don't want to be without you when we need you. Enjoy riding anyway,that'll show 'em.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldBoldPilot

With all due respect for your service. In the Navy. In San Diego. Perhaps we can save the "I'll be standing the watch" speech for the guys in Iraq and Afghanistan who are standing watch, and paying the price.

Thanks for your service.
That may be the most disrespectful post I've yet to see on this forum. Especially the obviously phoney "With all due respect for your service" line.

You should be ashamed.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:55 PM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

As I read all the post I have to agree and disagree with some. As a senior NCO it's my job to enforece the standards even when I don't like them, and trust me I don't like the road guard vest thing, but I wear it when I'm on post and make all my guys wear them. I have been stationed in a lot of places and now on an AF base and can tell you it's up to the old manif he wants to add anything more to it. They are all different in this way.

We make a joke in EOD that most of the post commanders will want us to ride around in our bomb suits if they ever see us in them.Hope that day will never comes.

Fire in the hole!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:21 PM
roadgeek
Road Master

As a veteranI proudly say that the soldiers of this generation, the Marines, Army, Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard, active duty, reserve and national guard have all stepped up to the plate for their county and scarified; some more than others by paying the ultimate sacrifice. I would thank each and everyone of them of every branch.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 PM
WindowMan
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You got to make your own choice!
Now follow thru till your time is up!

I did my time 24 years ago, I didn't
like it, but to ride on base I did as told.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: roadgeek

Two weekends ago I tried to go on to Fort Stewart, Ga - Home of the 3rd Infantry Division. They required.

Helmet
Gloves
Long Sleeves
Reflective banner from shoulder to waist (if couldn't be side to side)
Motorcycle saftey card - issued by the post.

I would have an issue with the safety card by the post. What qualifications does Ft Stewart have? The DOD reg simply states motorcycle safety course(not issued by an installation). I frequently work on a Naval Station and an AF base. The Naval Base has had to issues getting on and have never checked for the safety card. for some reason the AF wants to go through a vehiclesafety check 50%I try to enter. As mentioned in a previous post as long as the standards are met there shouldn't be the discrepancies betweeninstallation. I had one AF security guard actually tell me that I couldn't get on unless I had the Road Guard Vest on.when aksed where that was posted vs. the belt he said it was "new" and not posted anywhere. I simplyroad to the other side of theBase and went in another entrance with no issues.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:25 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Did the "Property of U.S Government" tattoo wash off? The air force owns you. You will follow orders or you will be disiplined.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:24 PM
roadgeek
Road Master

Funny you say that. I first went to the north gate. I was wearing a vest with a teeshirt. No gloves, reflective vest or long sleeves. I had my jacket and gloves in my saddle bag. I put then on and the guard said that the reflective material on my jacked which goes from side to side would not work. He said if it did I could have gotten on post. So I drove around the post and went to an Army surplus and bought a reflective vest. Then I proceed to the main gate with all my gear on an they wanted to see my DL and Military Safety Card. (Which I did not have and do not know how to get as a civilian) Any that ended my attempt to get on post.

The worst part is all I wanted to do is go to the memorial to pay my respects to a soldier from my old unit that died in Iraq.

Quick Reply: MANDATORY Full Face Helmet!!!