General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MANDATORY Full Face Helmet!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 04:28 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: MANDATORY Full Face Helmet UPDATE!!

ORIGINAL: Pavetack

Had a good sit down with the boss and there will beNO mandatory full face helmet policy.It is the riders choice of what helmet to wear as long as it meets the British Standard. No argument from me! [sm=happybounce.gif]
AWESOME! Way to go!

Old 04-04-2007, 04:30 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: MANDATORY Full Face Helmet!!!

ORIGINAL: Windfairy

My son's $600 Shoei full face helmet was sitting on his bed when he died. It was a late night (early morning ride) with his roommates wife on the back, with the other Shoei full face on when she fell off. He died after traveling down a a expance of bob wire and stopped when his head hit a fence post that held up the only gate in the pasture. It was on a country road near base at Ft. Hood Texas. After investigation it was found he went thru a stop sign and was traveling at a high rate of speed when he went out of control. Not one of his brothers tried to stop him and they defended him when they were interviewed during the investigation. This is the Army way. He had been riding since he could hold up a bike. Would his helmet saved his life? Maybe, but it also could have rendered him paralized. I made the decision after two days to disconnect him from life support, knowing he died upon hitting the pole,and let his body go. The head nurse in the ICU said is was one of the worst head injuries he had ever seen.
Am I less of a Gold Star Mom because he died on his motorcycle?
My reality is when I get on my bike, he is with me. He died doing what he loved to do, ride his.
Bless all those who are serving and have served.
In the Wind,
Windfairy.
P.S. I talked to him hours before, told him to wear his helmet,,,,more importantly I was able to tell him I love him.......
Thanks for sharing that story. I know it must still be painful for you. Burying a child usually is.

I'd like to ask you one question. Was he or any of his beneficiaries denied any benefits? Were you stiffed with any of the medical bills? Was the insurance paid out?

Old 04-04-2007, 05:09 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outstanding!

Let me guess, he had no idea about bikes and was making an uninformed ruling based on advice from a Safety Officer?

Glad you stuck to your guns and fixed it. That is what a good leader does.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:48 PM
bradvols
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!! See not all them high ranking non-riding types are complete idiots.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:15 AM
4merRacer
Road Master

ORIGINAL: traveler

Okay, that was the reg's as I remembered them, at least 7 months ago when I left Minot behind, and came here to Osan....

I guess I'm just not willing to let my entire life be regulated. If that makes me a crappy NCO, then I guess I'll have to learn to live with that label.

Joe
[&:]
Not to be harsh but as a fellow NCO, ignoring the regwould make you a poor NCO. LEAD BY EXAMPLE. So what happens when one of your troops ignores your orders? It's just a regulation. He did the same as you, chose to ignore it.

Let's not forget, the regulations that are in place may be added to by any commander. A commander may not take anything away from a regulation but can add more details to it. Therefore, if your's chooses to ADD that the helmet be full face, then that's his privilege as a commander.

Fortunately it worked out for you.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Jambo
Banned

Guess you forgot,when you pledged at your afees station,you are now Govnt.property! You have the same rights as a pen or pair of glasses now.Don't get a sunburn,you could be charged with destroying Govnt. property! I've seen it happen.Seems strange that when you decide to fight for everyone else's right's,you lose your own.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jambo

Guess you forgot,when you pledged at your afees station,you are now Govnt.property!
I have heard this so many times, and its just not true. They dont own anyone. Slavery and indentured servatude was outlawed many many years ago. With that being said if the chain of command wants to do something to you I.E. punish you they will have no problem finding some other charge than can stick to you other than damaging government property.

Chris

Old 01-10-2008, 07:59 PM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain

Hunter AAF they were inspecting Helmets too. What a pain in the but. But if they say you have to wear it wear it.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 9,633 Likes on 3,439 Posts

You have to admit, it's kind of funny that they'll let you jump out of airplanes, defuse bombs, engage in hand-to-hand combat, drive a convoy through downtown Baghdad, and dodge IEDs all day long, but they become huge manginas when if you don't properly wear your reflective sash while riding 25 MPH on post. Just sayin', that's all.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:32 PM
tazman509
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a 1SG I agree that you have to set the standard. If you want to ride you have to ride by the rules. After all, the job paid for your ride. Airborne All The Way!

Quick Reply: MANDATORY Full Face Helmet!!!