General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRONT BRAKE SQUEEL

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:15 AM
ut_vols_fan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FRONT BRAKE SQUEEL

I think the rotor swap is a "mask fix" for the real problem. I put the Lyndall Z Plus pads on my Softail front and rear last weekend and haven't had a sqeal yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.....

Old 04-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 531 Posts

Old 04-12-2007, 08:39 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

What front tire did you use to overcome the 72 {load index (weight range of the tire)}? The HD factory calls for 783 pounds or 72 load range. I am thinking of doing the same rims as yours, but I can not find a tire that will handle the recomended load. I am not dumb enough to put a tire on the front of a bike that will blow out, so it is better to ask questions than to just do. I just bought a Road King & pulled the motor & put in a S&S 124 w/Spyke 6 speed. I also am putting on one of those trick inverted light weight (36 pound including radial brakes) front ends from motorcyclemetal.com I want to lighten up the rotating mass of the wheels & tires. I now have a set of "Harley Road Winder" wheels that weigh 24 pounds a piece, that is just for the wheel, no tire, bearings, spacer!

Thank you in advance with your help.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:55 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M-1192A SWAPPING AND ALIGNING FIXED DUAL DISCS
July 17, 2006
Purpose
It has recently been determined that swapping and aligningthe front brake discs on motorcycles having fixed dual disc brakes can significantly reduce brake squeal.
Therefore, effective June 26, 2006, the front brake discs willbe swapped and aligned on all production motorcycles having fixed dual disc brakes. The running change moves theformer left side brake disc stamped P/N 44156-00 LEFT to the right side of the hub, and the former right side brake disc stamped P/N 44136-00 RIGHT to the left side of the hub. The vent holes are then aligned before the discs are fastened to the hub.
Also, in the interest of promoting customer satisfaction, Harley-Davidson will swap and align the front brake discs on affected motorcycles under warranty, but only when responding to customer complaints of excessive brake squeal.
Motorcycles Affected
All 2000-2006 model motorcycles, as well as those 2007 models built before June 26, 2006, having fixed dual disc brakes that exhibit excessive front brake squeal.

I had my '06 FLHX brakes done. Fixed the squeal. I don't think it's just a temp fix. Friends I know that had similar problems with '06 brakes will concur.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:23 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll throw my experience on this in here. The problem with stock HD brakes is the pads and rotors. The calipers are top notch. (yes, you can get higher tech stuff...6 piston differential bore....but you don't need it) Using a stamped out solid rotor with a rigid mount caliper just does not make good mechanical sense. The other problem is the primitive brake pad friction material they use. It's sintered iron, just like they used in the fifty's!
Anyone out there with more than 10,000 miles on a softail standard will notice that the frontend lower leg with the brake caliper mounted on it is a whole lot uglier than the other one. If you run a disc wheel on the back, the side with the brake is nasty while the other side still looks good. Why? Sintered iron dust is highly corrosive to aluminum (and any other metal for that matter).The best low buck upgrade I have found is the LRB Z+ pads with a new set of floating rotors. If you are installing these pads on a used bike (dirty brakes[:'(]) you will want to check out LRB's website and follow they're instructions on cleaning everything before installing you're new pads. That nasty sintered iron dust will clog up the new Z+ pads, so [sm=icon_rtfm.gif]
I put them on my 05 Nightrain a while back and I was amazed at how much better they worked. Not only do they stop faster, they stop smoother and the transition from slowing the wheel to locking it up is much smoother....the brakes just feel better and they are. Another nice feature of these pads is ZERO rotor wear! you'll buy new pads, but the rotors will rust away before you rub through them with these pads. This is the set-up that every HD should start with and then we should start upgrading. Brakes are too important to ride with the stock set-up.

I almost forgot....it won't help them work better but you do need to get the chrome stick on caliper inserts!

Old 04-12-2007, 09:48 PM
novaflhrsi
Novice

I had the same problem. Got floating rotors and no more squeal. They are awesome. Well worth the money and they look good too.

Good Luck

Old 04-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,862 Likes on 807 Posts

As soon as a went to LRB Z-Plus pads, any squeal I had disappeared. Great pads. Much better braking feel and operation. And none of that nasty brake dust the stock pads spew.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 04-12-2007, 10:06 PM
MAchonewon
Road Master

ORIGINAL: mistermooster

July 17, 2006
Purpose
It has recently been determined that swapping and aligningthe front brake discs on motorcycles having fixed dual disc brakes can significantly reduce brake squeal.
Therefore, effective June 26, 2006, the front brake discs willbe swapped and aligned on all production motorcycles having fixed dual disc brakes. The running change moves theformer left side brake disc stamped P/N 44156-00 LEFT to the right side of the hub, and the former right side brake disc stamped P/N 44136-00 RIGHT to the left side of the hub. The vent holes are then aligned before the discs are fastened to the hub.
Also, in the interest of promoting customer satisfaction, Harley-Davidson will swap and align the front brake discs on affected motorcycles under warranty, but only when responding to customer complaints of excessive brake squeal.
Motorcycles Affected
All 2000-2006 model motorcycles, as well as those 2007 models built before June 26, 2006, having fixed dual disc brakes that exhibit excessive front brake squeal.

I had my '06 FLHX brakes done. Fixed the squeal. I don't think it's just a temp fix. Friends I know that had similar problems with '06 brakes will concur.
Hello read the service bulletin.................

Old 04-12-2007, 10:38 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: MAchonewon

ORIGINAL: mistermooster

July 17, 2006
Purpose
Motorcycles Affected

Hello read the service bulletin.................
Huh?

Old 04-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

floating rotors will help the bike stop quicker and with less heat. My truck disc got loud and I switched to ceramic disc and bingo problem solved ans braake dust is a thing of the past. I would look for the same pads for my bike.

Quick Reply: FRONT BRAKE SQUEEL