General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better to look cool, than be safe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:47 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Better to look cool, than be safe?

Wow, with all the reports of people being in accidents or hearing about accidents or knowing someone who has been in accident, it made me wonder about what I saw yesterday while out on my first lengthy ride.

Eric, who is on this forum, and his wife Pam, were kind enough to take me along on their Sunday ride to Warm Springs, GA, which is evidently a hot spot for alot of the local bikers. It's a very pleasant ride on a mild day. Temps were in the mid 80's. I wore all of my gear, full face helmet, gloves, boots, chaps and leather vented jacket over a tank top and jeans. Yeah, I was hot sitting still, but in the wind I was comfortable. I do not like half helmets with just sunglasses as the wind dries my eyes out.

We saw hundreds of bikers yesterday but of all the Harley riders I was BY FAR the most over dressed, protective gears-wise, rider out there. I think I may have seen one or two other people in a jacket. I don't think I saw any other Harley rider in a full face helmet. At most, seemed like everyone had on just a half helmet or skid lid and boots. That's it. No gloves, no chaps and rarely even a long sleeved shirt.

Now, I am not preaching. I am a noob and have only been riding for three months. I also have a two year old daughter at home and a husband who are very precious to me. I am just vain enough about my appearance that if and when I go down, I want to avoid road rash if at all possible. Each to his own and ride your own ride, but it was an eye-opening experience.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Whiskyb
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Better to look cool, than be safe?

I pretty much have to agree, although I am more of a long denim shirt,jeans,boots and half lid type. Living in a beach town I am amazed at the number of riders I see going by the house with just shorts and flip flops.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:56 PM
ut_vols_fan
Road Captain

Sorry about that GA part - being from TN we might have a few "stumblin' blocks" to get past....J/K (not really - GO VOLS!!!)

Yup, I see the same thing around here. Each to his own, but I try to keep the gear on unless it's really hot. I figure it only takes a second to remove large portions of skin or f**k up my brain, I'll do what I can to minimize what is a statistical probability that I'll meet the pavement at some point in my riding career. Hasn't happened yet, but keep reading on this forum and you'll see lots of example where appropriate gear could have made a difference. I only wear chaps when it's below 30, but FF helmet, gloves, and leather jacket are pretty much standard. Ride safe!!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:57 PM
gconklin
Road Master

I used to go lean but since my kids came into this world, I changed my attitude. I have full leather and chaps, boots, but only half DOT helmet. Going to get a full-face modular someday though. When its over 90 degrees, it does get HOT . But its still worth it to me knowing I have done more to be "safer" and still have fun on the bike.

Though out here in CA, full leathers aren't uncommon and I don't think anyone looks down on it out here either... at least from what I can tell. (but then maybe they're laughing behind my back, lol)

ride safe!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: ut_vols_fan

I'll do what I can to minimize what is a statistical probability that I'll meet the pavement at some point in my riding career.
^^That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:00 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not wear full leathers in the summer, and only wear half/.75 helmets (at most). I always wear gloves, some for grip, some so I don't grease up the grips.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:03 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I’m one of the people you are talking about. I always were jeans and boots but I only wear leathers to keep warm. Otherwise I ride in a tank top and no helmet. If I thought about what was going to happen if I went down every time I got on my bike I simply wouldn’t ride.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:05 PM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Being that you are new to riding, you're very smart to cover up completely. You know the stats for accidents and you are right in the big number slot. You will know when you can lighten up a bit on the coverage.

Ride safe.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:08 PM
EK5858
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least I didn't have shorts and flip flops

Old 03-26-2007, 02:16 PM
RageAndMachine
Road Master

i usually ride just in my leather thong....and helmet of course.

Quick Reply: Better to look cool, than be safe?