General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better to look cool, than be safe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:42 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Better to look cool, than be safe?

ORIGINAL: RageAndMachine

yeah, as if a guy could look good on a thong.
Now, now,they do actually exist. [8D]

Old 03-26-2007, 02:43 PM
06TEXASCLASSIC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shorts and flip flops for me in the summer. Only wear leathers and full face helmet in the winter.

In a earlier post (maybe a month ago) I was one of the only ones that said I wear shorts. I find it funny that when out riding, I see about 25% of the riders in shorts.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:49 PM
JamieCarr
Banned

ORIGINAL: EK5858

At least I didn't have shorts and flip flops

No,.....that'd be me......

Old 03-26-2007, 02:58 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better get a neck braces for that big a$$ helmit not or later.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:05 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here the link for the neck brace.
http://www.gizmag.com/go/4782/

Old 03-26-2007, 03:11 PM
brillowolf
Cruiser

I'm a t-shirt and jeans kinda guy in the summer. But the flip flop deal? It only took me one time for that little part at the front of the flip flop to pull through the bottom, and me losing the flip flop, to realize just how bad of an idea that was. Luckily I was able to get back to the hotel without turning my foot into ground beef.

Things to remember:
My great grandmother couldn't handle being in a car going over 45 mph. She claimed there was no way it could be safe. My mother is comfortable going up to, but not over 65.

Personally, after going over 150mph on a bike, 100 mph doesn't feel that fast. 75-80 definately isn't. Safety is relative to the individual involved, up to a point. The riskthat comes alongwith riding a bike doesn'toccupy my every thought while riding. I don't think I could enjoy the ride if that were the case.
I do think that it is a good idea for new riders to take extra precautions. But I think a time will come where your comfort level rises to where you will shed the leather in the summer.

Not to mention you will smell alot better at the end of a ride.j/k kinda

Old 03-26-2007, 03:12 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

GAGirl,

I too am often the overdressed person around all the big bad Harley dudes. And I get a lot of grief over wearing a Full Face helmet.

But you know what... I'm still here to be made fun of so that is OK with me.

I ride on I-40 a LOT. So no jacket for me would be suicide. And the FF is just a necessity with all the gravel trucks around here.

On some weekends I will wear a LS T-shirt and jeans and boots with a skid lid. Saturday I ran out to the local watering hole and on the way home I just got BEAT by bugs... it sucked. Those things hurt when they hit your face.

And I have been riding street legal bikes since about 94ish... something like that. So I have not been riding a million years or anything, but I do have some expereince.

Always wear boots. Always wear gloves (even though they may have no fingers). Always wear jeans. Helmet law down here, so...

And I am one of the people that thinks Helmets are only good for Open Casket funerals. But I still wore one when I was in Chicago and we had no law. Just one of those things. When I was in Daytona I caught grief from the guys cause I was using my full-face Shoei.

It's all personal preference. Some people don't like to wear seat belts either.

-Postal

Old 03-26-2007, 03:23 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No matter how many times this issue comes up, those on one side of the protective-gear fence will never convince someone from the otherside to cross over.

As for myself, I wear the lightest, smallest helmet I can get away with in NV, and jeans and T-shirt on warm days. I'll wear my leather jacket only when it's too cold for a flannel over-shirt.

I've said it on another "helmet" discussion, but I'll say it again: If you're really concerned about safety, and leavingyour loved oneswithout their spouse, parent, or whatever.... youshouldn't be on two wheels!

No matter what you wear, cars/trucks are safer than bikes. Buy an SUV and quit worrying about getting damaged/dead.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mistermooster

No matter how many times this issue comes up, those on one side of the protective-gear fence will never convince someone from the otherside to cross over.

As for myself, I wear the lightest, smallest helmet I can get away with in NV, and jeans and T-shirt on warm days. I'll wear my leather jacket only when it's too cold for a flannel over-shirt.

I've said it on another "helmet" discussion, but I'll say it again: If you're really concerned about safety, and leaving your loved ones without their spouse, parent, or whatever.... you shouldn't be on two wheels!

No matter what you wear, cars/trucks are safer than bikes. Buy an SUV and quit worrying about getting damaged/dead.
I didn't see anyone trying to convince anybody of anything.

Sure... two wheels are not the safest thing in the world and your exposure to danger is higher. Driving around these days in ANYTHING will not protect you from unisured illegal imigrants that have been drinking. That's just the way it is.

Some people just choose to "decrease" their chances of pain and suffering if something occurs. Now me saying that... does not mean that I think you should go out and buy $3k worth of leather and carbon fibre to protect yourself. Welcome to America where you are free to choose.

Hell... I wear my helmet more to not get pegged in the face with bugs than anything else.

Just because someone chooses to wear a helmet does not mean they should "buy and SUV and guit worrying about getting damaged or dead." That is an overly blanketed statement.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:31 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: HeatherC

I guess I’m one of the people you are talking about. I always were jeans and boots but I only wear leathers to keep warm. Otherwise I ride in a tank top and no helmet. If I thought about what was going to happen if I went down every time I got on my bike I simply wouldn’t ride.
I have to agree with HC's philosophy...riding is inherently dangerous and if I worried about every consequence of riding, I'd might as well just stay home. During the summer, it's a half helmet, pair of jeans, my boots and a t-shirt.

Sometimes you just gotta live and realize life comes with risks.

Either that or I'm gonna save for up for a giant padded galapagos turtle shell so when I sense I'm gonna go down, I can retract my arms legs and head and just skip down the road like big *** stone.

Quick Reply: Better to look cool, than be safe?