General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better to look cool, than be safe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 05:15 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Better to look cool, than be safe?

Guess I'm different.

I dress for the ride.

Always have, always will.

My choice.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:16 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I in no way want this to sound like I'm telling the non helmet group that they should have one on but some of you have stated problems with the times you do have to wear one. If you feel like it is ripping your head off, if you feel like it tires you out, if its burning you up then you have the wrong helmet. A good full face only weighs 3 pounds, if it is a proper fit it will not feel like its pulling your head off (and Ive had the ones that do...shorties are the worst if you don't have a good windshield).The good one have very good venting. Is is hot at a redlight when its 90 out...yes but so is just my head if I'm there in a ballcap. Once moving the better helmets vent and cool pretty good (but will always be a warmer tnat not having one). Point is if you decide you need one for whatever reason then really look around. there are alot of good helmets out there but not all of them fit everyone the same. A Shoei fits me great but I have problems with Nolans which most peoople like.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:17 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first started riding, a friend, who'd ridden for a while, lectured me on ALWAYS wearing full gear, no matter how hot it got. He'd tell me if you get that warm, pull over and take a break, or go faster! (Not sure LEOs would agree with that last piece of advice...) I was always saying "Yeah, yeah", but took my jacket off when I was hot. Then one day he walked into work...well, shuffled in, would be more appropriate. On the weekend he'd been sitting around his apartment watching TV, while his girlfriend was at work, and she phoned for a ride home, because she'd gotten off work unexpectedly. It was a nice summer day, and he said "screw it", and went to pick her up wearing only a t-shirt, shorts & sneakers. (helmets are mandatory here, so he had on his helmet as well...) On his way down to pick her up, he hit some crap while taking a corner, and went down. Only going about 5 or 10 mph, but he was road rash head to toe. Believe me, he didn't look too cool!! His facial expression for most of the next week ranged between this...[:@]and this.... He was in some pretty serious discomfort. That was all it took. I've never ridden since without my gear on. And if you don't mind me saying, you look pretty cool in that picture...stay with it! [sm=lol.gif]To each his own. It is a personal choice, and you've made yours. (The smart one, IMHO...)