General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better to look cool, than be safe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:21 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Better to look cool, than be safe?

ORIGINAL: Philt

ORIGINAL: toprofile

I take exception to the "Better to look cool" comment tho . . .

I think saying the choice is to "look cool" is kinda cheap - no offense intended - just my op.
Exactly!
Phil
Okay, I'll concede that "look" was a poor choice of words, although I do suspect it applies to some, but "Be Cool" or "Choose Comfort" over safety would have been more appropriate.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:23 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

ORIGINAL: hambone

I make whatever I'm wearing look "Cool". Not the other way around.
Can I call you Stud Muffin?

Old 03-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Philt
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GAGirl

ORIGINAL: Philt

ORIGINAL: toprofile

I take exception to the "Better to look cool" comment tho . . .

I think saying the choice is to "look cool" is kinda cheap - no offense intended - just my op.
Exactly!
Phil
Okay, I'll concede that "look" was a poor choice of words, although I do suspect it applies to some, but "Be Cool" or "Choose Comfort" over safety would have been more appropriate.
You still don't have it! I guarantee you that a 300 lb. 57 year old guy is not trying to be "Be Cool"! LOL! But I do like to ride comfortably!
Phil

Old 03-28-2007, 02:30 PM
hambone
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GAGirl

ORIGINAL: hambone

I make whatever I'm wearing look "Cool". Not the other way around.
Can I call you Stud Muffin?
Sure. Among other things.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:33 PM
toprofile
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Falls from elevated surfaces injure more than 20,000 people per year.
As I recall that lamp replacement safety protocol, when using extreme high-risk tools such as ladders, called for this as the base outfit, a padded surface underneath, and a full face helmet with HANS or Hutchins device(neck-lash limiting straps)

Kinda surprising that folks might forego safety concerns and prefer convenience, comfort, and personal preference huh?

okay - okay - I just had to stir it up with more off-topic obnoxious comedic relief . . .
This thread is fun! PITA huh??

Seriously tho - falls take lives - don't take a chance!! (Or do - Your call!!)

Old 03-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Hitecrednek
Intermediate

HI GaGirl,

go check out the "face plant" section on Adventure Rider (www.advrider.com) and do some reading....you can do a few searches and find pics of helmets destroyed by pavement.

I always wear FF helmet, jacket (check out Fox Creek, they make jackets that weigh a ton, unlike the crap HD sells) and gloves; and sometimes over-pants (Motoport/ Cycleport, NOT lined with polyuathane that would melt in a slide, so I can wear shorts under them).

I may look like a Nasa re-ject when I ride, and I quit the local HOG chapter after getting one too many comments about all the gear.....but who was the last to put up the bike in the fall, and first to take it out in this spring? I"m not a biker, I'm a motorcyclist.

and, I'll pass along the best advice I ever got: "ride your own bike"

Old 03-29-2007, 01:12 AM
bobg1253
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Maniac

ORIGINAL: bobg1253
I also believe the choice carries a responsibility. You should carry enough insurance to protect yourself and your family from financial devastation in the event you are involved in a serious accident. You should not expect other taxpayers to pay for your medical care resulting from your choice. That applies to anything too,not just riding motorcycles.
Just out of curiosity, would you then consider the thought regardless of age that your insurance rate would be based on expected outcomes of your car against other cars in a collision so that folks who drive a Ford Focus for example would have to pay five times higher premiums than those who own say a Ford Excursion? This of course is assuming that what you meant are those riders who are injured as a result of the negligence of others.

Because for your theory to become plausible, the folks driving the Ford Focus are at much greater risk of injury or death matched against a Ford Excursion therefore should pay higher premiums commensurate with that risk regardless of who was at fault.

I think that if we used your philosophy in regard to insurance rates based on risk that boys and girls between the ages of 16 through 25 and older people beyond the age of 70 would have to have premiums of at least $25,000 a year as they are by far the riskiest and have the highest claim amounts of any group. Would that be fair?

Ask any insurance agent of the facts. Given the population as a whole, are more claims paid out each year for idiot teenage boys who have wrapped their dads Chrysler around a telephone pole or some other car or property or those few bikers who have fallen and suffered brain injury.

To take it a step further, how about we deny coverage for those individuals who were simply out joyriding rather than having legitimate business for being on the road regardless of fault? The simple fact that you are out there for no reason other than enjoying the ride puts you at a higher risk so you should pay more, right?

The point that I’m trying to make is that it is a shared burden for all of us on the road. In my opinion, the insurance companies are already doing a fine-and-dandy job of using any excuse to exploit those who may fit a certain “profile” based on sex, age, location, or type of vehicle to increase their profit margin. We don’t have to help out by providing them another vein of untapped revenue.

Paul
How in the world did you read all that into my post. Your condescending reply is insulting. Believe it or not, we are not all a bunch of idiots. I'll try to summarize whatImeant since youmis-understood. I'm referring to those who ride without insurance or absolute minimum coverage and then when something does happen, theydevastate their family financially or they expect the hospitalto provide taxpayer supported indigent care.If you are not at fault, then the at fault drivers insurance will hopefully take care of you, but sometimes they carry minimum coverage too.I want my insurance to protect me and my family!!!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:18 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

ORIGINAL: Hitecrednek

HI GaGirl,

go check out the "face plant" section on Adventure Rider (www.advrider.com) and do some reading....you can do a few searches and find pics of helmets destroyed by pavement.

I always wear FF helmet, jacket (check out Fox Creek, they make jackets that weigh a ton, unlike the crap HD sells) and gloves; and sometimes over-pants (Motoport/ Cycleport, NOT lined with polyuathane that would melt in a slide, so I can wear shorts under them).

I may look like a Nasa re-ject when I ride, and I quit the local HOG chapter after getting one too many comments about all the gear.....but who was the last to put up the bike in the fall, and first to take it out in this spring? I"m not a biker, I'm a motorcyclist.

and, I'll pass along the best advice I ever got: "ride your own bike"
Exactly. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Maniac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Maniac

I also believe the choice carries a responsibility. You should carry enough insurance to protect yourself and your family from financial devastation in the event you are involved in a serious accident. You should not expect other taxpayers to pay for your medical care resulting from your choice. That applies to anything too,not just riding motorcycles.
Just out of curiosity, would you then consider the thought regardless of age that your insurance rate would be based on expected outcomes of your car against other cars in a collision so that folks who drive a Ford Focus for example would have to pay five times higher premiums than those who own say a Ford Excursion? This of course is assuming that what you meant are those riders who are injured as a result of the negligence of others.

Because for your theory to become plausible, the folks driving the Ford Focus are at much greater risk of injury or death matched against a Ford Excursion therefore should pay higher premiums commensurate with that risk regardless of who was at fault.

I think that if we used your philosophy in regard to insurance rates based on risk that boys and girls between the ages of 16 through 25 and older people beyond the age of 70 would have to have premiums of at least $25,000 a year as they are by far the riskiest and have the highest claim amounts of any group. Would that be fair?

Ask any insurance agent of the facts. Given the population as a whole, are more claims paid out each year for idiot teenage boys who have wrapped their dads Chrysler around a telephone pole or some other car or property or those few bikers who have fallen and suffered brain injury.

To take it a step further, how about we deny coverage for those individuals who were simply out joyriding rather than having legitimate business for being on the road regardless of fault? The simple fact that you are out there for no reason other than enjoying the ride puts you at a higher risk so you should pay more, right?

The point that I’m trying to make is that it is a shared burden for all of us on the road. In my opinion, the insurance companies are already doing a fine-and-dandy job of using any excuse to exploit those who may fit a certain “profile” based on sex, age, location, or type of vehicle to increase their profit margin. We don’t have to help out by providing them another vein of untapped revenue.

Paul
How in the world did you read all that into my post. Your condescending reply is insulting. Believe it or not, we are not all a bunch of idiots. I'll try to summarize whatImeant since youmis-understood. I'm referring to those who ride without insurance or absolute minimum coverage and then when something does happen, theydevastate their family financially or they expect the hospitalto provide taxpayer supported indigent care.If you are not at fault, then the at fault drivers insurance will hopefully take care of you, but sometimes they carry minimum coverage too.I want my insurance to protect me and my family!!!
[size=3]You are absolutely right, and I concede to you sir. Allow me to explain. There was a post by an individual in the past that I had come across in a similar thread which supported the idea of individuals who elect not to wear helmets should be made to pay higher insurance premiums than those that do. He went on to explain that if in the event an individual who didn’t have the coverage had an accide

Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 PM
E DOGG
Road Master

I use the "Layered Clothes Technique". I'll peel off items as the day grows hotter. Well...At a 100 degrees don't be surprised seeing me in a tanktopand some Hawaiian flowered shorts.

Quick Reply: Better to look cool, than be safe?