Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Wave

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:59 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Wave

[/align]Those of you who ride motorcycles will know exactly what I'm talking about here. Those of you who don't - will hopefully learn something.

I'm referring to that secret "wave" that oncoming bikers may or may not flash each other as they pass on the highway. Oh sure, it seems customary enough - two fellow riders politely saying "hi" to each other as they approach... but is it? Is it really that simple? Actually it's not.

I've been riding a motorcycle my entire adult life and I've been paying attention. And if you think you're going to get a salutation from just any biker coming your way, then you're wrong. Believe it or not, there are some very subliminal and undocumented rules regarding this situation - and I'm going to share them with you now.

Here's how it works:

First of all, we'll need to establish some terminology to make this tutorial easier to follow.

The person initiating the wave will herefor be referred to as the "initiator". The other person will then automatically be known as the " receiver," and if he responds to the wave, will also be known as the "replier." Note that any reference to said replier assumes he is also the receiver and therefore will not also be referred to as the receiver because otherwise he would have to be known as the receiver and the replier - which just doesn't make any sense.

Next, to avoid any unnecessary political or grammar faux pas, all motorcyclists from this point on will be referred to as " riders" and all persons shall be referred to in the male context, just to make it easier.

Ok, now on to the tutorial...

Equity and the Odds of Engagement
The odds of receiving a wave from an oncoming biker are first and foremost governed by the "laws of equity." This means that the more things you have in common with him the better chance he will engage as either the initiator or the replier.

There are basically three categories in the laws equity:

1. Brand equity. This means that if you both are riding the same brand of bike, the odds of a wave transaction are increased.
2. Style equity. If you both are riding the same "type" of bike, such as chopper, rocket or touring motorcycle, then your odds are increased as well.
3. Helmet equity. If you both are either wearing or not wearing helmets - odds increased again.

To further illustrate this concept:
IF you both are riding hardtail Harleys and not wearing helmets, the odds of a hand gesture between the two of you are VERY high. Conversely, the odds of a nonhelmeted hardtail rider waving to a helmeted Suzuki rocket rider are almost next to none.
[/align]
The Big Five
When a fellow biker is approaching, his left arm and hand will tell the story. Whether he is the initiator or the replier, the signals are the same. Following are the five main hand gestures you may encounter:

1. The Nothing - This is the "default" hand position of most cross-encounters. Simply leaving his left hand on the handle bar can mean anything from "not paying attention to the fact you're approaching" to "I see you but I'm not interested in exchanging a greeting" - to the harsher, "I see you but since we don't enjoy any 'equity,' I'm not going to acknowledge your existence." Of course since no words are ever exchanged to clarify, all the rider can do is simply speculate.
[/align]

2. The Two-finger Flip - The most casual AND most common acknowledgement. Left hand still on the hand

Old 03-26-2007, 12:03 AM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: The Wave

I usually wave frantically with both hands in the air

Old 03-26-2007, 12:10 AM
Skylark
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: HDWG

[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 03-26-2007, 12:13 AM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I still like to shake hands as I pass other riders...so much more personable.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:20 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your supposed to wave at other people? [sm=joke.gif]

Chris

Old 03-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone once posted a pic of my standard wave, I would here, but can't from this 'puter, something along the lines of that equity thing, I know Zombies 'puter is better than mine so I can't post pics after him.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:28 AM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have ya seen me
ORIGINAL: Skylark

ORIGINAL: HDWG

[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 03-26-2007, 01:13 AM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been ridin 33 years and I wave like the geek. Espescially when someone points to the ground with that stupid tough guy wave. I remember when we used to give each other the "power to the people" fist.
Gary D.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

After reading all the threads on "The Wave" over the last year, I don't wave at all anymore. If someone waves at me I just assume it's one of the people here that keep posting about waving at each other.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:25 AM
streetboob
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You forgot this wave.

Quick Reply: The Wave