General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Shifter Problem - Not Stuck, but Rotated Forward

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014 | 12:39 PM
mstaylor68
|
Stage IV
Default HD Shifter Problem - Not Stuck, but Rotated Forward

Hi all. I'm having a shifting problem with my 2011 FLHP that I hope you can help with. First, the whole shift mechanism rotated backwards, so I couldn't shift up, because the rear shift peg would hit the floor board when I tried to shift up. It wasn't stuck - the bike would shift, it was just that the floor board was in the way. Now, the whole mechanism has shifted forward, so the front toe peg is slightly lower than the front of the floor board. Again, the bike will still shift, as long as I use the rear peg (the front peg is not stuck on the floor board like the rear peg was). I hope I'm explaining this clearly. Please let me know if not. Any thoughts? Thank you for your help. .

Last edited by mstaylor68; 04-06-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-06-2014 | 12:50 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Is the gearshift lever slipping (rotating) on the splined shaft? If so, it needs to be positioned correctly and tightened.

Old 04-06-2014 | 01:12 PM
mstaylor68
|
Stage IV

No, the lever definitely isn't rotating (I should have put this in my first post to make it clearer). I previously had a problem, as a number of people have posted about, with the front spline slipping out of the shifter arm. I found that some of the threads on the spline and on the shifter arm were stripped, so I bought a new spline, new arm and a new bolt and tightened them all up nicely. This problem seems to be inside the transmission case - you can see that the rear arm, that attaches to the spline inside the case, is too far forward. I can't see where the rear arm attaches so I can't say for sure whether that one is slipping, but if it is then it's slipping in an odd way, since now it shifts securely without any slipping (it's just rotated too far forward). Could it be something that happens after the bike is warmed up? Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Old 04-06-2014 | 02:04 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member

The two shift arms in the front (heel/toe) need to be adjusted so there is ample room under the toe shifter to get a boot toe under it for shifting up. And, the heel shifter has to be adjusted so that it is just above the foot board when you kick it down to shift.

Is that how you installed them? Or, did you just put them on and not take notice of how they fit? Being new, at this stuff, it is easy to do...

Also, check the rear shift arm going into the transmission, to see if the bolt has loosened. That could allow the shifter to rotate either way without turning the shaft.

Last edited by Def Mute; 04-06-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2014 | 03:11 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member

Get a bright flashlight,look in between the trans and the inner primary-you"ll see the shift shaft comes out of the trans,and the shift lever attaches around it,with a allen bolt going through it. remove the allen,move the lever where it needs to be,apply locktite to the allen,and tighten it up.

Old 04-06-2014 | 04:03 PM
mstaylor68
|
Stage IV

Thanks HDBob, I will give that a try. The space looked too tight for me to be able to do anything but if it's reachable then I'll definitely try to fix it. Def Mute, they originally were aligned correctly for 25k miles or so, then slipped backwards. I took the front lever off, realigned everything and tightened it all up. Shifted fine for about 250 miles and now has slipped forwards.

Old 04-06-2014 | 06:01 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

try www.betterlever.com

if i had a problem, i would go this route. as it stands, i don't have that problem, so not gonna spend the money to fix it just yet

Old 04-06-2014 | 09:43 PM
superman70
Road Captain

The transmission shifter shaft lever is loose. This happened on my RK. I had to pull the primary off to tighten it. I put a little spot of job weld on the post when I tightened it back up. I figured if I need the transmission shaft out I ll just cut it off.

Old 04-07-2014 | 02:00 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Do you stomp the lever into 1st, like I see most people do, or do you just SNICK it?