General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well this is just embarassing..

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:44 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Well this is just embarassing..

Umm......... stay away from Statefarm. The only discount I got for the course was a whooping $10 -
I've been an SF policy holder for over 35 years (auto, homeowner). I've insured a couple of different bikes with them over the years but their rates weren't particularly competitive (even with my auto/homeowner policy discounts) and I never was able to get a straight answer from them as to if a claim against a bike would impact the rates on my auto policy. The clincher for me was when my agent very candidly told me that SF really didn't want to be insuring motorcycles in Texas and was only doing it as "service" for existing policy holders. With a business attitude like that, I can only imagine how helpful they would be if I actually had to make a claim.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:49 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: Danny Never

I don't understand why people feel the need to start out on a 700lb motorcycle. you don't get a ferarri or a semi as your first car either.

but definitely get thyself to a MSF course.
EXACTLY

Old 03-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: michaelbarry

Well I thank you guys for all of the replies. I looked, and the closest MSF course isn't very close to me. I live in the sticks.. But I still think i'm going to try to make my way to one, and stay all night wherever it is that I go. That way, if I lay a bike over..it's theirs and not mine. Also, I wouldn't have to go take my license test either, and would just get them then..I like that idea pretty good too. I also forgot to mention that the bike has ape's on it, and i'm sure that doesn't help with the whole learning experience. Again, thanks for all of the replies.
Glad to see you're going,the course is much more than a aid to beginners,the defensive driving skills they teach are invaluable.My HOG chapter has a safety lecture every spring.The stuff the were reinforcing last weekend went a long way towards saving my ### yesterday afternoon when some idiot pulled out in front of me....

Old 03-26-2007, 01:01 AM
Dinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're lucky you're not in the morgue. Riding isn't as easy as it looks. You've got to learn how to ridea bike first, getting to know how it works and how it handles. Once you've gotthe bikedown,you'll have to apply the principles of traffic law.

Put a cover over the Fatboy. A Harley is the last bike you should be learning on.Get a Kawasaki Ninja 250. Everyone learns on this bike. You can buy one inexpensively, learn on it (even drop ita few times)and sell it for practically what you paid for it.

Once you're confident with the whole concept,you can get back on your Fatboy.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:39 AM
jandlcars
Extreme HDF Member

Take the corse
i have been riding since mid 60's mini bike cushman then bought 46 HD dangerous bike
had 7 other HD'S did not have one for 5 rears had to take corse to reinstate licence also gave a better insurance raie
I THAUGHT I WAS A GOOD RIDER!
TAKE THE CORCE I LEARNED QUITE DIFFERENT
it taught me things i usto do diferent fixed me

Old 03-26-2007, 03:30 AM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For all of you guys who have taken the course. How much did you pay?

Old 03-26-2007, 12:44 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain

I think it was around $70.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:48 PM
RageAndMachine
Road Master

yeah dude, take the course. cuz you cant ride dead.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:03 PM
marty44
Tourer

Second all the other posts re the class. Best advice for new riders is to stay away from the front brake on slow riding and learn how to slip the clutch. That clutch is your best friend. And always turn your head and look where you want the bike to go, not just your eyes. Also second the comment re false sense of security after a few months of riding. It's when you start to lose that nervousness that you really can get in trouble. Same thing happened when you learned to drive a car. I still surprise myself with stupid, near misses. Every time I make a mental note so I don't do it again. As you can see by reading this forum, even experienced riders can drop their bike when they're not careful.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:28 PM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Safety course and lean not turn.

Quick Reply: Well this is just embarassing..