General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped Torx bolt head removal help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014 | 09:07 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain

Go on Amazon, and search Vampliers. They work on just about anything, without the risk of damaging the bike.

Old 04-05-2014 | 09:39 AM
jc15025
Club Member
Veteran: Coast Guard

I liked the video on vampliers!!

Originally Posted by Manninagh
Go on Amazon, and search Vampliers. They work on just about anything, without the risk of damaging the bike.

Old 04-05-2014 | 10:49 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I've been meaning to get one of these and see how it does on things like this. Price is right.

https://www.buyspeedout.com/
but wait! there's more.......

whenever i see something that says, 'not available in stores', i gotta wonder why. though these do look similar to the craftsman bolt extractors

Originally Posted by im
That bolt may have a thread locker.
Do you have a soldering iron?
Place tip of soldering iron in hole of torx to first soften the threadlocker, you will need to hold it for several minutes if it has thread locker on it.
Then review what tool will best bite remainder...an allen/hex will sometimes catch, sometimes a flat screwdriver bit tip tapped into torx and use a ratchet.
Use a new torx bit and some JB weld, JB weld the torx bit into the hole of torx and let it sit overnight..try again next day.
A dremel tool slot cut, heat and a drag link socket or flat blade bit with a ratchet may also provide success.
why do you want to heat up the loctite, and then let it sit overnight again? doesn't that defeat the purpose? or is that 2 different approaches? try one, if it doesn't work, try the other.....

Last edited by skratch; 04-05-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-05-2014 | 11:18 AM
ralfie
|
Advanced

Thanks everybody. I tried the chisel trick, the bolt wouldn't budge. Next I'm going to cut a deep as I can groove all the way across the bolt head with a dremel and use a 1/2" impact socket with a flat blade screwdriver bit in it.
If that don't work, I'll take it to a machine shop and see what they can do.

If that don't work, I guess I'm SOL. I would hate to have to buy a new triple tree upper bracket, tear it all down and put it back together.

I hate it when somethings not perfect on my bike. The other three allen head chrome bolts look good though.

Last edited by ralfie; 04-05-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-05-2014 | 04:59 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ralfie
Thanks everybody. I tried the chisel trick, the bolt wouldn't budge. Next I'm going to cut a deep as I can groove all the way across the bolt head with a dremel and use a 1/2" impact socket with a flat blade screwdriver bit in it.
If that don't work, I'll take it to a machine shop and see what they can do.

If that don't work, I guess I'm SOL. I would hate to have to buy a new triple tree upper bracket, tear it all down and put it back together.

I hate it when somethings not perfect on my bike. The other three allen head chrome bolts look good though.
Impact drivers are worth their weight in gold--- I would be very surprised if this doesn't get the job done.
Just a reminder, make sure the driver is set to impact anti clockwise to loosen.

Old 04-05-2014 | 07:45 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior

Impact driver. Impact driver! The kind you hit with a hammer. They work really good for this kind of thing . But you may have screwed it up too much by trying other crap. I don't understand flat head bit in a 1/2 in socket. That don't make sense.

Old 04-05-2014 | 08:22 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by little5150
Oh yeh, I seen that commercial. Is that the one that can remove 4" long screws out of REDWOOD?
Can't remember. I wrote down the website when I saw the commercial, but haven't seen the commercial in a while.

Originally Posted by skratch
but wait! there's more.......

whenever i see something that says, 'not available in stores', i gotta wonder why. though these do look similar to the craftsman bolt extractors

I usually just check the "As Seen on TV" aisle at Wal-Mart, or go to the "As Seen on TV" store at the local mall.

Old 04-05-2014 | 09:33 PM
Wheels24
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Panchorelly
Impact driver. Impact driver! The kind you hit with a hammer. They work really good for this kind of thing.
Amen. Mine has saved my @$$ many times over the years. Cut the right sized groove for a blade screwdriver bit, then hammer and twist. Don't cut the groove too deep or it'll just rip the head off the bolt. Obviously make sure the impact driver is set to apply pressure in the right direction (don't ask me why I mentioned this). Have also used the 'chisel' method...and vise grips (which wouldn't work in this case)...and have ground down two opposite sides so an open end wrench would fit. As an absolute last resort, you could probably drill the entire bolt and threads out, then re-tap the triple tree to the next size up.

Last edited by Wheels24; 04-05-2014 at 09:39 PM.