General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How was your day. My day started out well.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How was your day. My day started out well.

My day started out well.

Today I rode out to ex-work (retired from law enforcement) to congratulate to new Chief.

First I got behind the slowest drivers in Tampa Bay. Both lanes were moving 10mph less than the speed limit.

I got out to ex-work and he wasn't working today. First problem.

I went to lunch with a couple of guys from ex-work. Had a good lunch.

After lunch I got on the bike and it wouldn't start. I figured the key fob battery died. I carry two old batteries in case that happens. I changed the batteries two times. No go. Still won't start. I tried my override code. The bike didn't repond. The bike had power but wouldn't crank.

I called my wife and told her the bike is dead and I won't be home until the dealer picks up the bike. I have an extended warrantee.

I was looking over the bike before I called the dealer for a tow and then the light in my brain came on.

I parked in the parking lane and had put the bike in gear to prevent it from rolling back into the curb. I pulled the clutch in and the bike started. I never put the bike in gear when I park unless it's down hill.

I rode to the hardware store and it was closed. Rode to another hardware store. On the way there, I got behind the slow group again. Got slowed down again through a construction zone and two crashes.

I got the bolts I wanted and started to a gas station to fill the tank. Another crash prevented me from pulling into the gas station. I said, the heck with it and rode home. I hugged and kissed the wife twice because I was so happy to be home safe.

I hope your day was better than mine.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:09 PM
GaryM12
Road Warrior
Veteran: Canadian Forces
Received 1,796 Likes on 531 Posts

I had a problem last year with my FOB also. I found out (by reading the owners manual) that there is sometimes interference from other sources of RF. All I did was move my bike about 10 feet forward and it started up no problem whatsoever.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:10 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Sounds like fortune favored you today.

I rode to the dealership because my Springer was leaking oil, just a few drops after each ride. 3 hours later (bored) and some $$$ they replaced the inner primary seal.

Last edited by uklauren; 04-04-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:13 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

At my age it is a great day just if I wake up in the morning. I did not ride today as the winds and temperature were both in the 30's. Normally I ride all winter but this year I only have 800 mile in due to snow, winds and temp. I have decided that when and if spring ever gets here, I will run out a tank of gas every day to catch up on my goal this year.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:17 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Hog
I pulled the clutch in and the bike started.
I thought you were always 'sposed to pull in the clutch before starting a bike. Kinda like dropping your pants before you take a ****. Failure to do so could get ugly really fast.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
I thought you were always 'sposed to pull in the clutch before starting a bike. Kinda like dropping your pants before you take a ****. Failure to do so could get ugly really fast.

I don't pull the clutch in because I always have the bike in natural. Except today.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:36 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,367 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryM12
I had a problem last year with my FOB also. I found out (by reading the owners manual) that there is sometimes interference from other sources of RF. All I did was move my bike about 10 feet forward and it started up no problem whatsoever.
in that situation, instead of pushing your bike around, why not just use your override code? i would much rather push a couple of buttons with my thumbs than a 900lb tourer around the parking lot......

Old 04-04-2014, 06:38 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Hog
I don't pull the clutch in because I always have the bike in natural. Except today.
I did that with my '77 CB750 in 1995 when I first bought it. Except the second day I had it, it was in first not neutral when I tried to kick-start it. Now I always pull in the clutch, rather than get surprised when the bike goes over!

My day was apparently better than yours - yesterday I was kicking myself for being a wuss and taking the truck to work since it was 28 degrees when I left the house, but 52 and sunny on the way home. So today I sucked it up and took the bike to work. It was 27 when I left the house so I took the back roads instead of the highway, and managed to get a nice hour long ride in for the mere price of numb finger tips. The ride home when it was 42 degrees was spectacular, and well worth the morning's numb fingers.

Hope tomorrow goes better for you! It'll be raining here...

Old 04-04-2014, 06:45 PM
KUB
Extreme HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

Well I 'm glad you got to ride and sounds like you avoided real trouble, I started my day off shoveling and blowing snow and finished it off the same way, and will start it the same way in the AM but hey I knew what winters were like when I moved here ! Now after reading your post I'm gonna get my jacket out of the closet that's been in there since Nov 1st.and replace my batteries in the fob so in May they'll work ! Ride safe and enjoy retirement ! Its fun !

Old 04-04-2014, 06:59 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

I just went to work. After work got the bike inspected and got gas on the way home. Not too bad.

Quick Reply: How was your day. My day started out well.