General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How was your day. My day started out well.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:50 PM
glide5904
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Hog
My day started out well.

Today I rode out to ex-work (retired from law enforcement) to congratulate to new Chief.

First I got behind the slowest drivers in Tampa Bay. Both lanes were moving 10mph less than the speed limit.

I got out to ex-work and he wasn't working today. First problem.

I went to lunch with a couple of guys from ex-work. Had a good lunch.

After lunch I got on the bike and it wouldn't start. I figured the key fob battery died. I carry two old batteries in case that happens. I changed the batteries two times. No go. Still won't start. I tried my override code. The bike didn't repond. The bike had power but wouldn't crank.

I called my wife and told her the bike is dead and I won't be home until the dealer picks up the bike. I have an extended warrantee.

I was looking over the bike before I called the dealer for a tow and then the light in my brain came on.

I parked in the parking lane and had put the bike in gear to prevent it from rolling back into the curb. I pulled the clutch in and the bike started. I never put the bike in gear when I park unless it's down hill.

I rode to the hardware store and it was closed. Rode to another hardware store. On the way there, I got behind the slow group again. Got slowed down again through a construction zone and two crashes.

I got the bolts I wanted and started to a gas station to fill the tank. Another crash prevented me from pulling into the gas station. I said, the heck with it and rode home. I hugged and kissed the wife twice because I was so happy to be home safe.

I hope your day was better than mine.
At least you got to ride.
I'm looking at a snow/rain mix with a high of 35 degrees.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:50 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

You made it home safe and that's all that counts. The "obstacles" just made your day less boring. At least you learned your bike won't start in gear. That's a plus.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:55 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I do neutral regardless. I'm a little paranoid it may fall into gear on initial start.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:32 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,173 Likes on 12,043 Posts

IIRC, the HD's destined for international market also have a starter lockout on the Jiffy stand. Clutch in and kickstand up to start one of those.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your neutral light is burned out too.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My bike had been parked since October, when I was home on leave from Afghanistan. I got on it last month and it wouldn't start. I was mad - figured I had messed up the wiring when I put on the new LED turn signals. After a couple of minutes, I almost gave up and drove my truck to work...turns out, you need to flip that little switch to "run." Like with your gears, I never flip the switch to "off" but I guess I did when I was working on the turn signals.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:02 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

I love it when people have good days. But it makes me envious.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:59 AM
jett14
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fellow Tampa rider here so I feel ya on the slow moving traffic.
I had a great day today...got news from the lab that my cancer is in total remission.
Went home and hugged my wife twice too

Old 04-05-2014, 04:44 AM
superwoody2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

slow moving traffic.

Dude, not bustin' your ***** or anything, BUT, you are in Fla., west coast, middle/start of spring break plus the usual quantity of bluehead snowbirds. At least you have the ***** to ride. I've had quite a number of buds go down this time of year that live in Fla. & a few will not even ride the middle of Mar. through the middle of April.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:24 AM
TheGeek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Black_Hog, you can look at it this way.....If it wasn't for the slow drivers in front of you, it could have been you in one of those accidents. So, if it was me, I would be saying, I had a nice uneventful ride today.

Quick Reply: How was your day. My day started out well.