Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone GoPro ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:48 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone GoPro ?

Anybody mount action camara to their bike ?

Spent some time with my kid this winter in Tucson. He has a quadcopter with a GoPro camera mounted to it. He gets some amazing video.

I ordered one (camera) and am going to mount it on my Streetglide. Got trips planned for Sturgis and Wisconsin this summer.

Watching the kid, I'm kind of wondering how big the learning curve is as far as actually watching and posting videos. I'm not all that computer savvy.

Kid says it's a piece of cake, kid is younger and grew up on computers.

I had the old Kodak box camera that you had to crank the film forward.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GoPros are really good - very durable, good image and sound quality. They're no more complex to use than any modern point-and-shoot camera, so don't be put off by the surprisingly thick manual (most of it is the same explanation of the settings in about 8 different languages).

The mounting hardware you get with the camera is almost junk. The protective case is fine, it's the actual "what you attach it to" bits that are useless.You're better off getting something made by RAM for wherever you're going to mount it (I have mine on the handlebars looking out over the nacelle).

Take a look:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/harle...l-islands.html

Old 04-01-2014, 10:59 AM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I have one that I've mounted in various places on the bike and gotten some nice video. However, I don't have the time, or really the inclination, to sit and edit video. So other than watching it when I get home it sits in the files along with the others. I wish I had a friend, or a kid, who would do the editing part!

I don't regret buying it but I definitely don't use it as much as some folks do.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I mounted it to my inner shield tool bag/ It stuck fine but the vibes on the bike at a stop made it impossible to watch as well as the bumps. So I am going to try again with a head mount or a chest mount, Then I can stand at stops.

I would say do not mount it to the bike. Too shaky at stops and riding over anything less than glass like asphalt. Mount to your body. Much smoother picture/ Body can eliminate most harshness of the ride. Some mount to their helmets but I usually don't wear one so I ordered a head mount for the cameras a well as the body harness.

Looks a little silly but I am not one to care much about that

I bought a GoPro 3+ Black for $349 on sale a few weeks ago and love it.

Learning curve is ok. the camera has two buttons that get you anywhere. Takes some getting used to to select modes and stuff. The GoPro SW is easy to use for editing but i use Sony's Vegas Pro. files are AVI or MOV I believe .

Buy two 16GB SD class 10 cards instead of one big one for redundancy. 16GB is a lot of Video to edit.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah - the key to getting something you'll actually want to watch is really in the editing. You can spend almost as much time editing as you did capturing the footage in the first place. That being said, that's no reaon to not film stuff in the first place.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:16 AM
valhalla84
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have 2 GoPro's I use skydiving. Honestly I have never mounted one on the bike cause there wasn't much I wanted to film. One of my Brothers did a few months back while he was riding in the back of the pack and got some good footage of the Bros tearing it up. I think if ya are riding somewhere with some stellar scenery and getting after it, could be pretty awesome. The Midwest plains, not so much. Don't know where ya are from but that's my take on it

Old 04-01-2014, 12:38 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Yep, I have a GoPro with several different mounts to position all over my SG. I think the one I like the most is the suction cup mount, low on the left saddlebag. Great little cameras, but the biggest issues I've had are with vibration. I had to buy the Turbo Video Stabilizer program to smooth them out. I also like to use the clear plastic cover with no back on it. It cuts out wind noise but still picks up the sound of the motor.

All of that being said, I was pretty excited about getting it, but unless you have some great scenery or entertaining riding buddies, the video can be kind of boring. These days, I probably have more video of the OL's *** in action than anything else.

The quad copter setup is awesome. I've seen some spectacular videos shot with them.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:33 PM
sarpeezy
Tourer

Like everybody else said, the editing is a PITA.
If you use a gopro mount, expect a lot of vibration, you are better off attaching it to yourself. (helmet/chest)

Also I dont know which model you ordered but I have the Hero3+ Black, and it has WiFi...I can change all of the settings on my phone thru its app..but even if you didnt have that, the menu is not hard at all

Old 04-01-2014, 03:48 PM
NativeTexican
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my Gp for cave diving but have recorded on the bike a few times. I have a clip mount that I just clip onto the left side of the engine guard. It is really cool seeing the how much the front suspendion moves. I have a crappy computer and the GP software doesn't seem to work too good on that computer. Most of the editing I have been doing on my iPad in iMoive. But sucks that I can't speed up the video on iMovie but only slow-mo.

If I ever break down and get a new computer I will probably edit more of the hours of video I have so far.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:04 PM
bigoil7
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a couple. Mounted my older one (Hero) to my old Fatboy Lo a couple years ago while riding west of Sturgis. Here's a link:
I think the Hero 3 on the SG looks quite a bit smoother but haven't recorded much with it yet.
They're kinda fun.

Last edited by bigoil7; 04-01-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone GoPro ?