General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone GoPro ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 02:07 AM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys that do a helmet cam - does it create a lot of extra wind noise?

Old 05-09-2014, 02:10 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by riderideride
Guys that do a helmet cam - does it create a lot of extra wind noise?
Yep.. I have been just putting music under mine. The wind noise is too much. I have mine mounted on the faring dash above the temp gauge. I did the video a few posts back that way.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:18 AM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks regarding the noise question. Thought helmet cam would be neat, since wildlife, and other interesting things often happen on the side of the road.

If it means more wind noise inside the helmet, doesn't sound too fun then.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Jetlag
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by riderideride
If it means more wind noise inside the helmet, doesn't sound too fun then.
I dont get more wind noise in the helmet just the video has wind noise but as TenMidgets says just add music to the video.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:42 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Did this yesterday. Did my own music track as well in my studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ed...ature=youtu.be

Old 05-09-2014, 08:58 PM
fxbrry
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 83 Posts

I have one that I use when I ride atvs. I think filming when I ride roads on my Harley would make for some pretty boring videos. Heres some of my atv videos.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:11 PM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by FXD_TG; 10-13-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:33 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the suction cup works great -- which I is what I use

I have seen them on sport tourers and sport bikes work at well over 100

Old 07-10-2014, 12:40 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 472viper
Anybody mount action camara to their bike ?

Spent some time with my kid this winter in Tucson. He has a quadcopter with a GoPro camera mounted to it. He gets some amazing video.

I ordered one (camera) and am going to mount it on my Streetglide. Got trips planned for Sturgis and Wisconsin this summer.

Watching the kid, I'm kind of wondering how big the learning curve is as far as actually watching and posting videos. I'm not all that computer savvy.

Kid says it's a piece of cake, kid is younger and grew up on computers.

I had the old Kodak box camera that you had to crank the film forward.
I use one for the bike and I also have a quad I mount it too. I ordered the White edition which is the cheapest version. Amazon decided to send me the Black 3 which is twice the price, but only charge me the White price. When I called them, they told me I could keep it. Score!

On the bike, I think the helmet mount works best, but angle it down so you can see the bike. I also have a chest mount, but it is forward all the time. I also have just the head band strap mount, but only used that on a 4 wheeler. Was going to use it while shooting my 45, but keep forgetting to.

As far as the quad, got it so I could take arial shots of family property. It's kind of fun. I can't see what I'm filming though, just kind of have to guess by which way quad is pointing. I could spend some more cash to do modify my quad to do that but don't care to.

I agree editing sucks because it takes too much time. I generally just upload whole vids unedited, which will include a lot of boring stretches.

Here are a couple example vids, but don't think I had my helmet mount for the particular bike vid.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:40 AM
CaCruizin
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a Hero Black+ because we were taking a 2500 mile road trip from Bowling Green KY back to San Diego and I wanted to document the trip.
For a couple of days it worked fine, taking a pic every 5 seconds, the remote worked to turn it off when we were waiting in traffic and back on when we set off again.
On the fourth day when we were about to go through Monument Valley one of the most interesting parts it stopped working. The thing just seized up and a whole evening messing about with it wasted and there was nothing I could do to unseize it. I tried everything and it was proper stuck!

When we got home I emailed GoPro and a couple of days later they replied and told me I should download an update from their web site.
I went to get the unit and put a battery in and it was working perfectly, started filming and the remote (which also had stopped working) was working fine as well.

Be warned that the battery does not last long and you will have to buy another...or two and a charger and while you are buying extras get the big battery pack as well.
If you want to use power from the power outlet in a car or bike you have to buy another frame for $40 because the supplied one is water tight and you cannot plug a lead into it.
Then you might need some extra sticky mounts or a suction cup mount.... all in all I spent about $600 on the camera and the extras so beware you might have to spend more than you intended.

Quick Reply: Anyone GoPro ?