General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding course, or just take a 10 min test?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 AM
KUB
Extreme HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

The MSF course is available thru NMU in Marquette and is available thru out the UP held at various locations. I paid $27.00 for the 3 day class and it was worth every penny. Check out your local community collages, state owned schools and universities. I know you are down state but NMU is a state owned school there should be a class available in your local area. On a side note if you were thinking about a new/used bike from a dealership some will throw the course in as part of the deal.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:17 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ib5150
What I find funny is that the course has everyone ride a 250cc even though many will be riding a lot heavier bikes, it is far easier to control a light 250cc than a bike that weighs hundreds of pounds more.

If this was done correctly the endorsement should only be for bikes up to 250cc or a compatible weight and to obtain an endorsement for a heavier bike the Advance class should be mandatory because then you will have to pass it on the bike you will be riding. Let's see how many pass then lol.

The UK test for unlimited bikes is you must do your test on a machine of a minimum output of 42BHP. My wife took her test on a Honda CBF 600 (not many HD's here)

Old 03-31-2014, 11:34 AM
PureHybrid
Road Master
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

I took the written test to get my permit, drove mainly back and forth to work for a couple months to get used to the bike, and then took the test ON MY NIGHT TRAIN. Its not hard at all, passed the first try. I think where most people mess up is stalling or putting a foot down, big no no.

I didn't see the point in taking a course, most of the material is common sense. I have two friends that teach riding classes, and from the way it sounds, its mostly "slower" people that can't even operate a clutch. I deal with enough dumb people day to day, and I didn't want to make anyone feel bad by laughing. Riding dirt bikes since I was 12 didn't hurt things either....

Old 03-31-2014, 11:41 AM
H3llb1lly88
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks yall... should the ones held at a college be any different than ones held at a dealer? Reason I ask is cause if I take one at a dealer it's $300 and it might be June before I can afford that. If i can learn the same from the college class it's only $25.

Last edited by H3llb1lly88; 03-31-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:07 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think they even had a course back when I got my endorsement. Wifey took the course at the local Jr College about 8 or 10 years ago and speaks highly of it.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:08 PM
Zim
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tell everyone who's never really ridden, that safety course could, and more than likely will save your life. I started over forty years ago from a bicycle, to mini bikes, to dirt bikes to mopeds, to street bikes, to bigger street bikes. I've done every stupid thing you can do on a motorcycle, and seen every stupid thing cars can do. A lifetime of experience.
With today's traffic, roads, and every friggin' body in a hurry, it makes my hair stand up when an older person thinks they're just gonna jump on and ride.
If you've ever listened to anyone in your life, listen to the people who tell you to TAKE THE COURSE!

Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the course is always worth the price

Old 03-31-2014, 12:21 PM
zyonsdream
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been riding all my life and I took the DMV riders test to get my M class. However, it's always a good idea to take a safety course even if you have been riding for a long time. You'll absolutely learn something new.

Also, to offset the cost, most insurance companies offer a discount if you take the course. Mine offered a 10% discount. Right now my wife is learning how to ride and she is going to take the course at the Harley dealership this spring. I might actually take it with her for encouragement and so I have an understanding of what she was taught when we are out together. Also, We can then both take advantage of the insurance decrease.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:32 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by H3llb1lly88
Thanks yall... should the ones held at a college be any different than ones held at a dealer? Reason I ask is cause if I take one at a dealer it's $300 and it might be June before I can afford that. If i can learn the same from the college class it's only $25.
Take the college class, then later you can take the dealer class. The advanced course i took at my dealer had golden helmet (motorcycle cops) instructors and was worth the money.

http://rockys-harley.com/riders-edge
Cost $230 and $200 for H.O.G. members.

Last edited by Pete6114; 03-31-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Naw, I wouldn't mess around with any kind training. Just run up there and take the test, you can prolly pass it. How hard can it be after riding a BMX bicycle. Shoot, those guys do tricks erything. Even if you don't pass, ride anyway. I mean if you don't get pulled over (or don't stop) you don't really need a license. Besides, if you get into trouble you can just "lay er down".

That my friend is about the biggest line of BS you'll ever read on the internet. If you've recently been to the doctor and diagnosed with 6 months to live, you can follow it. If not, get yourself some schooling. Riding ANY motorcycle is way different than anything you've ever done before. And the penalty for getting it wrong is high. All this said, if that wasn't your first thought, you may not have the required risk managment skills for riding a motorcycle and coming out unscathed.

My advice is worth what you paid for it; nothing.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 04-06-2014 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Riding course, or just take a 10 min test?