General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding course, or just take a 10 min test?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:12 AM
cmeaney
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not only wise to take the skills course, it will help you save om insurance costs, as U get a reduced rate because of it.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:23 AM
dragonflyrider
Road Master

I didn't read through all 6 pages, but it's not just your life, it's other people on the road that need to worry too. The class is so well worth it, and you're not exuding a lot of confidence, so be the man, and just go and be safe. You will learn more than you think you will, and there's more to riding then just keeping the bike up. It's a whole 'nother world out there on roads with tractor trailers, and people stopping in front of you, or making left hand turns in front of you w/o notice. You don't have to deal with those things on a trail.

Be safe, take the class, and good luck. You won't be sorry, you really won't!

Old 03-31-2014, 08:30 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I PASSED BOTH: I was invited the last minute to go for a big ride with friends for a week so I just took the test, I found it to be somewhat difficult on my Sportster the slow tight double circle is set up more for a very light bike and though I made it through it I doubt highly I could with an even heavier bike.

I had full intentions on taking the course and even pre-paid for it but there was a waiting list and the ride came up before the course did, when I got back I went ahead and did anyways, though I did learn a few things it defiantly wasn't worth the $250.00 paid and I would bet most that passed the course still couldn't pass the Department of Motor Vehicles skill Test. I think many take the course because it is far easier to pass than the skill test at the DMV!

Last edited by ib5150; 03-31-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:36 AM
Arizona Sage
Cruiser

Take the course. It's a no brainer.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:38 AM
mountain man
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jojo2dog
in ohio we have a state course, hard to get in, but well worth it, one day book work 2 day"s rideing also you can take your certificate to get your endorsment
Same in PA

Old 03-31-2014, 08:50 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do yourself and everybody else a big favor, and take the best course money can buy. Ya just cant spend $300 bucks (or whatever) on something better!
You may also get a break on bike insurance. I'd call the ins. comp. and find out if, or who they accept for a discount.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:07 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What I find funny is that the course has everyone ride a 250cc even though many will be riding a lot heavier bikes, it is far easier to control a light 250cc than a bike that weighs hundreds of pounds more.

If this was done correctly the endorsement should only be for bikes up to 250cc or a compatible weight and to obtain an endorsement for a heavier bike the Advance class should be mandatory because then you will have to pass it on the bike you will be riding. Let's see how many pass then lol.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:45 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

I took a test at 17. At 20 I took a class and in the 2 days I was in class I learned more than I did in the years since I took that test. Since that 1st class, over the years I have taken 2 more classes. All of them were well worth every penny I spent on them. If you have never taken any class at all, you will be surprised how little you know about riding regardless of how much experience you have in the dirt or on the road. I learned something new every time, relearned some things I had forgot all about, and sharpened up things I already knew and hadn't forgotten.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 AM
1985gt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The local community college, has the MSF course, I think it was $180 4 hours friday, all day saturday and a few hours sunday. Once you pass you get a little card, you walk in to the DMV and walk out with a M endorsement. At least in our state. The course is worth it. Take the course.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:04 AM
fissco1234
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I took a course at the local community college when I was 17 as a condition of getting my first bike. Through the years and getting a CDL licence, my endorsement dropped off because I didn't proof read the paperwork. Fast forward 25 years. I bought a bike , got a break on the price for the Riders Edge. When asked why I was there if I had 34 years experience? My answer was to break any bad habits I may have developed. The instructors had a field day, and I got my money's worth. Not everyone passed. 1 person missed a day, but was allowed to make it up in a different class. Another person missed a segment of the final skills test due to a brain fart, had to repeat two days of range time, but passed the second time around. The 3rd person totally tanked the skills test, and agreed that her only riding time should be on the back of one. It wasn't a walk through, but well worth my time and money.

Quick Reply: Riding course, or just take a 10 min test?