General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding course, or just take a 10 min test?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:47 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Yes it's worth the money. If it saves you from dropping the bike in a right hand turn the course will have paid for itself.
I don't mean to single anyone out, because I have seen 'right hand turns' mentioned a couple of times in this thread. Does the problem with 'right hand turns' occur when the road turns right?

Or making a right turn from a stop, as at an intersection?

How did the course help?

Old 03-31-2014, 12:03 AM
HeadoftheBeast
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly if you are having problems taking off and turning at the same time, you need to take the course. No if's and's or but's about it.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:09 AM
zeman1
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take the course. Think of it as $300 spent on safety gear. Course focuses on control of bike, mainly at lower speeds. Clutch and throttle control are some of the items you work on. They also give great tips on your attitude while street riding. i took the Advanced Course after 20+ years of riding and unlearned some bad habits.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:26 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

One of the many here who took the MSF course, passed the test and got license immediately. Best $350 I spent before I started riding my brand new Harley way back in '02.

Safe Riding rulle #1,

Thorey

Old 03-31-2014, 06:31 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by H3llb1lly88
...riders edge course at my local dealer, but it's $300!...dropping that much on it worth it?...
I've been riding (off and on) since ~1965, never took any kind of formal training until 2007. Trust me, guys who say "I learned all I need to know on the road" are really missing the point. It's well worth the time to work with a professional instructor for those few hours! As for the "everyone passes" criticism, that wasn't the case when I took it -- instructors made it clear that it was a pass/fail course, and (e.g.) dropping the bike during a performance test was an automatic fail. I think there were 9-10 in my class, and 2 failed. Those who failed could re-take the course once without additional fees.

And the cost of the course ($275) was more than recouped by insurance discounts within a couple of years.

Take the course.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Take the course. They'll be able to not only teach you what you already know, but be able to show you what you don't know and what you are already doing "wrong". It's a good idea to do a "refresher" course every few years. We tend to fall into bad habits without recognizing them!

Old 03-31-2014, 06:55 AM
flicksport1200
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check around i know in pa the state has msc for free a four day coarse for the new rider and at the end if you pass the test you get ur endorsement, i wouldnt pay unless that is ur only alternative , but i would definitely take a safety coarse

Old 03-31-2014, 07:03 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take the course. It will help and then bang! Your done.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:08 AM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some states offer a discount off your insurance that, over the years, will pay for the course and then some. I know, delayed gratification, but...

Got my first bike in 1968, rode for 20 years, got married to a plastic surgeon who, based on what she had to work on in the ER, badgered me into selling my bike. Went 18 years without riding but kept my endorsement for all those years. When I bought my Fatboy in '07, I took the Advanced Riders Course. So well worth it that I might just take it again.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:10 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 115 Posts

Think yourself VERY lucky its only $300.
In the UK to get a motorcycle licence has just cost my wife $1300, she had to a theory test and three other riding tests, one on the open road being followed by a examiner!
As a result I would say her slow speed skill is probably better than mine, she had to do, figure of 8 , salom course, emerency stop high speed sweve and slow walking pace riding, probably your advanced course just to get her riders licence(endorcement)
The UK motorcycle test is considered only second to Germany for being the hardest in the world.

Last edited by painey; 03-31-2014 at 07:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Riding course, or just take a 10 min test?