General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding course, or just take a 10 min test?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 08:42 PM
H3llb1lly88
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ron750
You don't use your bike in the Basic Rider Course, so that doesn't matter. You take it on a 250cc bike, supplied by the college.

You use your own bike in the Advanced Rider Course, which I don't think you should take without having the Basic Rider Course. The Advanced Course, or Rider's Edge Skilled Rider's Course, assumes you took the Basic Rider's Course.
Aahhh... i didn't see that. Good call.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:44 PM
spud67
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the course. I had been riding for 24 years and took the course in 2013, still learn new things and corrected a few old / bad habits.
$300.00 is affordable compared to the $450.00 it cost me in Saskatchewan, Canada. It is a 20 hour, 2.5 days course with more of the time spent riding. It is on a closed course and smaller, easy to handle bikes.
Excellent for new riders and experienced riders. Take the course, it will be the best money you spend in regards to a bike. Ride safe.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:58 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Yes it's worth the money. If it saves you from dropping the bike in a right hand turn the course will have paid for itself.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:59 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Highly recommend the in person course. Personally, I think it should be mandatory for new riders. Book knowledge and passing a written test is nothing close to having the ability to ride, and do it safely.

In FL, if you complete the BRC or MSF course, you just show completion at the DL office to get your motorcycle endorsement.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:11 PM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 428 Posts

About the same price here in SoCal...Well worth the time and money. Out of the thirteen riders in my class seven failed, having to repeat the class. Been riding most of my life and learned a lot. Go for it.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:15 PM
H3llb1lly88
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brother Rat
About the same price here in SoCal...Well worth the time and money. Out of the thirteen riders in my class seven failed, having to repeat the class. Been riding most of my life and learned a lot. Go for it.
**** whyd they fail?

Old 03-30-2014, 11:05 PM
cb7263
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by H3llb1lly88
$300. And I bought my bike less than 6 months ago from the same dealer... you'd think they would offer a discount.
At the dealer we go to, if you take the course thru them AND by a bike from them after you pass the course, they reimburse you for the cost of the course.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:25 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,256 Likes on 6,547 Posts

I'm a self taught rider. Bought my first bike before I had a helmet, I would practice ride at night with a black wool hat on in lieu of a helmet. I was in the Marine Corps so they wanted me to take a course but the Navy Chief who ran it was a class A **** and ball so I didn't do it. When I went to take my road test at the DMV I had to ride my bike there on a learners permit. The DMV was about 50 miles from where I lived and I had to take the Interstate to get there. The Inspector came out and asked me where I lived and how I got here. I told him the Interstate and he asked me how many orange cones I had to slalom through to get here. I said none, he said "you passed"!

I would recommend the course even though I've never been because no matter how seasoned a rider you are you can always learn something.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:26 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

The m1 riding test is really easy. I had experience on your usual ( dirt and some street ) Took about eight years off from both, and bought my breakout with only my permit in hand. Two weeks later I took it to dmv and passed my test easy. If you aren't confident in your skills then take a course. There is also some good videos by a highway patrol instructor that are excellent, and show the proper techniques to ride like a pro. best of luck....

Old 03-30-2014, 11:38 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I been dirt ridin since I was a kid and got my MC endorsement in 1967 but never took a course. Four or five years ago I took a free 1 day MSF Experienced Riders course at a Community College here in Hawaii. I don't think I learned a lot that I didn't already know or do after 40+ years of ridin on the road, but it wasn't a waste of time either. I went with a buddy so it was fun challenging each other and doing the course on my Ultra.

The one thing I took away from the course that I am sure I already did without knowing it was to "look where you want the bike to go" when things get a bit tense. Now when things go a bit wrong I actively think about where I want the bike to go and concentrate on that line.

I called my insurance agent when I got home from the course and they sent me a $95 refund. That alone makes taking a course a No-Brainer. Look how much I could have saved over 40+ years.

Quick Reply: Riding course, or just take a 10 min test?