General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding course, or just take a 10 min test?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:25 AM
kwkride
Cruiser

Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonflyrider
how is there so much variance between prices between states? Last June, I paid $275 for my two day course. some are over $300, and some are $25. I don't get it, but we all get an endoresement!
Because some states subsidize part of the cost of the course.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:56 AM
slimburns
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the course. I grew up riding everything you can think of, and I still learned a lot and came away thinking it was money well spent. You don't know what you don't know...

Old 04-08-2014, 07:59 AM
zorro69
Advanced

Interesting topic this, having just finished the 2 day course on Sunday to get my license

There were 11 of us on the course – everyone passed, though in my opinion (accepting I am a newbie to bikes) I would say at least 2 who passed left me extremely worried (will come back to that later)

I am a new rider and I have to say I did learn a lot from the class, though you need to set your expectations at the right level

We had maybe 10 – 12 hours out on the drivers skills section, this was all in a Community College car park in perfect conditions

We drove 250cc Suzuki/kawasaki’s

The experience levels ranged from zero (me and a few others) to some very experienced dirt bike riders who had been on dirt bikes for the last 15 years

Over the skill sessions we learned how to start, turn, U turn, go over a 2 inch piece of wood, stop quickly and how important head placement is

So all good skills to learn, especially for a newbie like me

However, a few caveats to all of this;

· We never went above 15-18 mph (generally much slower really over the period)
· Never out of second gear (and much of it in 1st)
· Never with any traffic around us
· No real threats from anywhere
· Driving in perfect conditions – road/weather/others around you

Everyone passed, though the 2 that struggled the whole course couldn’t do a few of the final tests and struggled with the speed – even at 15-18mph

However, the pass results allowed you to accumulate up to 20 points before failing and this was so wide (unless you dropped the bike or fell off), these 2 passed – but hey I am not the instructor but simply my opinion of watching them closely for 2 days and I was left concerned for both

The dirt bike riders could have done all of the exercises with their eyes shut – they simply flew around everything we did with no problems at all – they accumulated zero points, meaning all of the skills tests they did, they did nothing wrong at all – though you could see that from the outset – speaking with them, their motivation was simply to get licensed

Now, did I get anything from the course – ABSOLUTELY 100% YES – AS A COMPLETE NEWBIE, I GOT A LOT OUT OF IT

But, I would say it has left me still with a lot of major concerns – I can ride my bike, know the very basics of riding – but as of yet, not been near a road in a real life environment

From here, I think I need to start to build up some road time around my local area – maybe back and forwards along the same route several times and gradually build up my confidence and skills, before going a bit further in more challenging roads

I am no way near ready to hit a highway or major road – maybe it is just me, but the course did not give me that level of confidence

I spoke with the instructors afterwards and they agreed that as a newbie, it did not give you what you need for the open road at the outset – however, is was the BASIC Riders course and the instructors did say it was aimed at people with zero or very little experience

So, I am licensed, but I am a long way from hitting any long distances/highways or busy road traffic – I will get there, but it will take time

But I would still have done it, cause as a newbie, I could not have picked up the details, skills, techniques and info otherwise

Good luck!

Last edited by zorro69; 04-08-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:56 AM
adamsj00
Intermediate

my 02 cents for what it's worth, Take the riding course before or after you get the license either way take the course. Reading the replies here and on other threads there are good instructors and a few not so good. Most but not all post stated they learned skills from the course and skills = confidence and safety. Here in Pa the BRC is offered free (subsidized by licensing fees) and the license is issued upon completion. I'm taking the course 4/21 its free for me I know but it is also a 1hr drive one way over 4 days. I just started riding again after 30 years took my new fat boy lo out Sunday for a little over 40 miles weather and road conditions here not ideal yet. Best of luck what ever you decide.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:50 PM
alucard9899
Cruiser

In MA if you want your license before 18 you needed to take the course. It was 11 years ago and I think it was 5ish hours on a Friday evening and then 8 hours on both Saturday and Sunday.

I already had my bike permit and had been riding dirt bikes and quads sense I can ride on two wheels. I found it to be boring and tedious. Of course this is from a 16 1/2 year old that just Car license a month before as well.

For some one with no experience it will give you more confidence and introduce you to riding.

In May I am taking the course over again with my GF to get her license.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

I took the 2 day riders course at the community college. My friend failed the riding and then took the course to get the waiver.

Some of the states riding test are a lot harder than the car driving equivalent. Figure 8, cones, plank, e brake can be difficult especially if your on a big bike. If your taking the riding test, get a small easily maneuverable bike and leave the Harley at home.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Darryls48
Cruiser

I forgot to add, when I bought my bike, my local dealer was going to throw in a voucher for the MSF for free, and this particular course GIVES you your license/endorsement on the spot after successful completion. That's not a bad deal after spending multiple thousands. lol It's the least they can do right?

Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 AM
CipoWins42
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a riding course!
Regardless of how good of a rider you think you are, you're not.
You can't learn too much and if you learn one thing, it's worth it.
If you're gonna just take the test, it's best to find someone that has taken it before and get some advice. Most are a stickler on each task. Too many of use are killing ourselves, due to our lack of skills.

Be safe!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:18 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

take the course....

Old 04-11-2014, 12:38 PM
H3llb1lly88
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H3llb1lly88
I just registered and paid for a course at the local college. 30 hours and a state certificate for $25.
I think this thread has now run its course. Thanks for the insight yall and I will make sure to pay very close attention while in the course.

Quick Reply: Riding course, or just take a 10 min test?