General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 04:38 AM
XL1200N
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deer

I'm a BFW at a factory here in CR, IA. And I was looking at the screens for the outside security cameras, and there's a heard of deer of about 50 or so. I went outside and watched them, made a ton of noise, didn't seem to bother them any. It reminded me of a co-worker here at the plant. Him and his wife were riding a bagger back in 1985, when they hit a deer doing 65 mph. The deer jumped at the last minute and hit the handle bars, went threw the windshield and landed Rich's lap. His wife was in the hospital for a month and Rich was in for 6 months (deer broke both Rich’s arms, pavement did the rest). They never road again, I took our 2000 XL1200C out to there place last year and he wouldn't even sit on it, let alone take it for a ride. Of all the things that I worry about while riding, deer are at the top of my list, even in town around here and especially at night.

Any body else have deer problem in their town or state? Anyone hit or almost hit one of them?

I love animals, because they taste sooooooooo good

Brian

Old 03-25-2007, 06:43 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,357 Likes on 6,149 Posts
Default RE: Deer

My wifes uncle hit one doing about 60 here in PA. Jumped from the side of the road and hit him right in the chest, knocking him off the bike. He was laid up for a long time, that was the end of his riding too.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:46 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Deer are rats with antlers, the hunting culture is shrinking and we are becoming wuss city boys, this is coming from a Jersey boy where the deer population is so big that there is no limit on how many you can take while hunting, just stupid towns filled with NYC liberal transplants the keep passing no hunting laws and treat the Rats with antlers like they are pets or bambi. Think we need to reintroduce the Wolf into the state.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Two As One
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XL1200N--I'm about 50mi. south of you, my biggest fear
also are deer, traffic doesn't bother me. I've driven a
semi for 26yrs. I know traffic is going to do. We try
to cut the population each year during the deer season,
bow and shotgun. Have a good ride.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:41 AM
coldmcrider
Cruiser

Deer are my biggest fear while riding. Totally unpredictible and they come ot of nowhere. I had one run right in front of me one night last April. I looked at my speedometer (35mph) for a split second and when I looked back up it was running across the road right in front of me. We missed by mere inches. I could hear his hooves on the pavement. It happend so quick that I never rolled off the throttle or reached for the brake. I've thought about it every night ride since.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:46 AM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah,we have a deer problem here in PAalso.It's not their fault they have to cross the roads all the time.Around here new housing is popping up everywhere.The deer are running out of land.Riding at night in the less populated parts of the county triples the danger.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:04 AM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of deer in our area as well in North Western PA. I tend to stop riding in October when the archery season starts so I can help the rest of you enjoy a safe and deer free riding.

Just trying to help

Old 03-25-2007, 11:06 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ha haa!!!!!!!,,,,my 07 ultra has a built in deer alarm!!!

Old 03-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Drtbag
Tourer

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

ha haa!!!!!!!,,,,my 07 ultra has a built in deer alarm!!!
Deer ALARM? How does this work?

Old 03-25-2007, 11:12 AM
dastark
Road Master

What about those whistles they make for cars? Do they work? I seen recently that Kuryaken makes a rather pricey electronic deer alert. I'd consider it if I knew it worked.

Quick Reply: Deer