General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:20 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Deer

The whistles don't work. Nothing works. The best thing you can do is use your high beams at night so you can see them and they can see you. When you do see them, don't change anything (you can spook them). Of course if they all of a sudden start heading accross in front of you you might then want to do something. They are not too bright and will usually stay put unless they are spooked. With all of that said, the two legged creatures with the 4-wheeled machines are the ones that I worry about. I havn't seen the actual recorded numbers, but I would put money on it that it's a whole lot more dangerous riding around people than it is around deer.[&:]

Old 03-25-2007, 11:27 AM
chester1957
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XL1200N, we rode down to C.R. Saturday to my wife's sisters. She lives just off Edgewood Rd and she said they had a buck in their back yard. She told us not to ride Edgewood as there are deer hit on this street all the time. We ride up around Backbone State park all the time and deer are my number one concern when riding. Just lost a buddy last fall to a deer, he hit it less than a mile from home. Keep an eye out. Five buddies have hit deer in the last 7 years. 3 ride, 2 to quit, 1 isn't able any more and 1 died.
Just recently a tree farmer that shot a deer to protect his livelyhood, was charged with poaching, this is all pushed by hunters. Back in the day, it was hunting, these days, you just go out and shoot, groups of hunters that don't shoot a dozen deer opening day think they had a bad year.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:31 AM
KY HDRider
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have never been down, but as close as I have ever been was last summer. A deer crossed in front of me, I saw it coming and slowed down. The deer ran into the side of a truck coming from the opposite direction. After impact, the deer now dead I suspect, and on it's side, came sliding back across the lane directly toward me. I veered as far right as I could to remain on pavement. The deer passed literally under my left footboard. That was a neck hair raising moment. I wired my spots to stay on always, even on high beam. I aimed them to either side of my headlight for maximum visibility including periferal vision. Get some cars flashing at me, but I don't care.
Ride safe, and sloooow in deer country.

04Ultra

Old 03-25-2007, 03:27 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hit a doe last fall going 55mph+ at night along a county road. It jumped into the road from a ditch on the right of me so there was no time to react prior to hitting it.
The head went thru between the front fender and wheel and the side of the body hit the engine guard where my foot was resting.
I managed to keep it up after wobbling, stopped but couldn't get it in neutral (adrenaline was high at this time) so had to stand holding the bike up with the clutch in basicallyon my left foot because I thought my rightfoot was broken and looked the bike over. Saw the guard was pushed back an inch or two but that's all I could see from the seat. Decided to ride it home (about8 miles) figuring it would be quicker than calling 911 and waiting.
When I pulled in the garage and got off is when I noticed the twisted front fender and realized how lucky I was. Only ended up with a badly sprained ankle.

No more riding at night in the country for me.

The wife went back the next dayto see if I killed it, found it with a big hole in the side and a twisted neck.

At least we don't have moose in the area.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reminder about keeping on the lookout for deer. Anytime that I am riding on country roads with thick vegeatation on both sides of the road, I find myself keeping alert for any animalsthat could bolt across the road. Especially with the louder exhaust, animals can get spooked easily and run into the road.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My brother was hit by a deer a couple of years ago, it jumped out of the brush right into the side of his bike, funny thing, no damage to my brother or the bike, he was going about 35mph, now this is justice, and, you 'd have to know my brother. He got off his bike, collected himself, and proceeded to butcher the deer right on the shoulder of the road. Oh, yes, the deer was killed instantly, well, he finished butchering and boning, put the meat in his saddle bags and took it home. One problem solved, THAT deer won't jump in the road anymore

Old 03-25-2007, 05:55 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here are some stats about deer collisions over 1 billion dollars in damage 150 deaths and 10,000 injuries.

http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/d...tatistics.html

Old 03-25-2007, 07:10 PM
aquaskiman
Tourer

I live in the mountains south west of Denver; I see deer 4 of 7 rides. They scare the crap out of me; I almost hit one last year on my Road King. I have lived in the mountains for about 35 years and have hit 4 or 5 in my cars over the years. Every time, they came from behind a tree, up a bank or over a drop off, places that you couldn't see them coming. All you can do is drive slow and keep your eyes open. George

Old 03-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I just won't hardly ride at night here in the Arkansas Ozarks because of deer. I regularly see deer even in the daytime, but I've not really had that many close calls with them. The worst thing that can happen is to have a doe cross in front of you and get separted from it's offspring with you somewhere in the middle, you never know if the offspring will dart across to momma or if the doe will go back after it's little ones.

I once had a beautiful antlered buck run parallel down the road with me on the other side of a barbed wire fence about 20 yards off the roadway. I was doing about 40 MPH and I noticedit running along side me for about 75 yards before it darted away from me. It could have easily just jumped the fence and darted right front or into me. Scared the crap out of me.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:02 PM
dadio
Advanced

Deer and moose are common inmy part of the country and are things we have to keep in mind all the time. I refuse to let them dictate the time of day I'll ride but I do slow down and try not to overdrive my lights. Just remember that not only those creatures come from hidden spots, kids from between cars, dogs lying in wait, even birds pickin up sand on the side of the road are hazards that can do really bad things.

Quick Reply: Deer