General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you can't miss a deer, is there a good spot to hit it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:55 AM
ijustwant2ride
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you can't miss a deer, is there a good spot to hit it?

If there is no way to avoid hitting a deer, is there a good way to do so?

At first I was thinking that if you am for the hind quarters you might make it into a glancing blow. But then I thought no that might cause the the deer to spin into you. My basic college physics class is not helping me with this discussion.

What are your thoughts?

BTW I always carry a knife just in case I need to put down an injured animal. It really bothers me when I see them on the road

Old 03-26-2014, 08:02 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

No good way, but if it's a buck I'd reach for his nuts that way he knows he stepped out in front of the wrong person. If I'm going to be hurting so is he.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:02 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're going to hit a deer, hit it in Montana. I hear it's beautiful out there...

Seriously though, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having enough time to do anything but collide - never mind aiming for a specific bit of it's anatomy.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:10 AM
doug62
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Very High Plain Drifter
If you're going to hit a deer, hit it in Montana. I hear it's beautiful out there...

Seriously though, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having enough time to do anything but collide - never mind aiming for a specific bit of it's anatomy.
Ditto. I would imagine if you don't have enough time to react and miss the deer you probably don't have enough time to aim.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:12 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,322 Likes on 3,178 Posts

In theory I'd say dead center. All the thick mussels are in the legs

Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I really don't believe you will have much of a choice unless it is already laid out in the road and not moving. I had chosen the flank area on one that came out of nowhere, but by the time I got there, she was gone.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:21 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,175 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Have not had the misfortune myself yet....but I'm sure I will one day, I live in a deer infested area. So without getting into the obvious of (pay attention..esp at dawn/dusk, and rut season).....I have both read here, and heard personal stories from those that did..."grab a handful and hang on". Meaning give it a goose at the last second and work through the deers body".

I'm sure a lot of it is due to many variables. How fast you're going. Traffic behind you. Traffic coming towards you (will you end up in front of oncoming traffic at speed). Where you hit the deer. Size/weight of the deer. Weight of your bike. Weight of your body.

Some riders have gone over...or gone THROUGH...a deer..and managed to keep her upright and be able to pull over and stop on their own. Many others...not so fortunate.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:23 AM
ijustwant2ride
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nascar

Originally Posted by Lakerat
I really don't believe you will have much of a choice unless it is already laid out in the road and not moving. I had chosen the flank area on one that came out of nowhere, but by the time I got there, she was gone.
Good point, I have heard that NASCAR drivers aim for the car wreaking in front of them and by the time they get there it has moved out of the way.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I would think the most important thing to do would be hit it square, keeping the bike straight up. not sure i never hit one.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:28 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,160 Likes on 6,705 Posts

If you're going to hit it, placement isn't a factor.
But the best place would be in the driveway of the Emergency room at the hospital.

Quick Reply: If you can't miss a deer, is there a good spot to hit it?