General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you can't miss a deer, is there a good spot to hit it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:26 PM
cb7263
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that a guy said he "powered thru" one when he knew he was going to hit it.

Not sure if it's the right thing to do or not, but it sounded reasonable to me.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:45 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,121 Likes on 5,825 Posts

Originally Posted by Trickasabrick
I'd say scrub off as much speed as possible before the impact then grip the bike hard with your legs, get as upright as possible and grab a hand full of throttle while keeping your head and body on the tank. It's going to suck.
This is my take on it...whether you can keep it up is mostly chance...but if you are turning or braking at the second of impact, you lose that chance...I saw a friend hit a big dog right beside me...he went down because he had gotten the bike all squirrely before he hit it....if he was straight and upright he would have had a chance.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:03 AM
chief1600
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

I live in an area that poses plenty of opportunities to hit deer and have been afforded the chance myself a couple times. Luckily, nothing major yet but here are my rules for riding:

- I ride pretty much only between the hours of 7AM and 7PM. Make sure there's plenty of light and make sure you keep your eyes moving from ditch to ditch as you ride during those early morning and late afternoon times especially. The best way to avoid the hit is to see the deer when your coming up on it. This can't always be done but it's saved my *** on a few occasions.

- if you must ride after dark, SLOW DOWN! If I'm stuck on the road at later hours I generally keep the speed at 45 or less. I live in WI in a heavily deer populated area so I don't have any issues with getting home a little later - as long as I get home! Keep your eyes moving from ditch to ditch looking for those glowing eyes.

- lastly, if impact is certainly going to take place, grab as much brake as you can without loss of control and stay as upright and straight as you can. Release the brake just prior to impact so the shock doesn't cause you to apply more brake, causing the wheel to lock up (I don't have ABS). After impact try do do what seems natural. Keep upright if possible. Brake as necessary. Stay with the bike if you can. Cross your fingers!!

Keep the shiny side up.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:29 AM
Big Blue Electra
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
This is my take on it...whether you can keep it up is mostly chance...but if you are turning or braking at the second of impact, you lose that chance...I saw a friend hit a big dog right beside me...he went down because he had gotten the bike all squirrely before he hit it....if he was straight and upright he would have had a chance.
Well can say I have never had the opportunity on a bike , but have about 15 years behind the wheel of a big rig ! And all of my driving experience I would try to scrub off any speed I could but would not veer in my course , because chance is you would cause more damage ! Same goes with what ever critter runs out in front of you , squirrel , cat , dog , or deer !

Old 03-28-2014, 01:16 AM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Last year on my 2010 Road Glide with the cruise set at 45 I had a deer come out of the woods and collide with me. Actually ended up almost climbing up on the seat with me. It did $11,700 in damage from the front of the bike to the back and then even on the other side when the trunk shattered but the speaker housing swung around and nailed the other side. It hit me so hard from the side it pushed me off the road and onto the grass shoulder, however all I remember is focusing on slowing down without braking and steering straight ahead. I actually ended up coming to a stop back on the roadway without ever going down. I was a former motors cop and don't know if the training kicked in, if it was pure luck or a combination of both.

I will say this. I had planned on my next bike going back to a batwing rather than the fugly again but in this particular incident and how hard the deer hit that fixed fairing without affecting my steering, it made me reconsider and buy another fugly. I have no doubt that in this case the fixed fairing may have saved me from serious injury or worse.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:26 AM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have enough time to aim for a "tender area" you have enough time to do a swerve and avoid maneuver. Much the same as if you have enough time to consider a run through the yellow, you have enough time to stop for the red.

"He Who Lives in Joy Does His Creator's Will."
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Old 03-28-2014, 06:41 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Int the heart/lungs is the best.. prevents them from dying too far away

Old 03-28-2014, 08:45 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,083 Likes on 12,188 Posts

LOL! I haven't read all of the answers and I'm certain there are some funny replies.

If you have the ability to choose what part of the deer you're going to hit, you have the ability to not hit it at all.

Funny stuff.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:13 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Amazing... how may newbies sucker other members in their nonsensical, imbecilic way of thinking...

Old 03-28-2014, 07:06 PM
cmeaney
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is really time to think about this? By that time I'd be thinking how to get my underwear off without anybody seeing them.